Is Licence to thrill by James Chapman worth picking up?

Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
edited January 2013 in Merchandise Posts: 403
Was looking around Amazon and was tempted on buying it. It looks like a good read, but has anyone read it, and if so, can they share their thoughts on it?

Comments

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Yeah I liked it. Reads a bit like an academic textbook at times, tho. My favorite FWIW; FYEO: Ian Fleming + James Bond.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    thanks for the reply!
  • I really liked it. Good read, interesting, read through it in a couple of days and gave a short lesson based on it at school.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 381
    It was very useful to me when I wrote my James Bond paper in grad school. Chapman writes very clearly and his writing is not overly "academic." His analysis of the films is very good and usually spot on. He does a great job of placing Bond films in their historical context. I've emailed him a few times and he has written me back some thoughtful replies. I asked him if he would revise the book and he wrote that he would like to once a few more films have been released.

A "must read," for any 007 fan.
    I liked the book and the way he classifed the films into categories.

I recomment it. It would be interesting to see Chapman's take on the Brosnan films and Craigs as well.

• The last edition of the book goes up to CR. I emailed him and he said that he wasn't a fan of QOS and liked Skyfall, although he doesn't want to see another Bond film like it.