The Royal Wedding of Prince William of Wales and Kate Middleton

edited April 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 37
I sat in front of the tele today to get caught up on the impending wedding of William and Kate Friday April 29th (11am UK Time).

I was watching the wall to wall coverage on BBC America. I know the many other TV and cable channels will be covering the wedding and the run-up to it, but it was nice to spend a leisurely Sunday afternoon watching about 4 hours worth of video.

So the Prince and his bride to be are already living together. Well, that's pretty representative of how many couples are before tieing the knot.

Here's some fun in speculation on Royal titles, or lack thereof, regarding this marriage (from Wiki):
The footnote numbers are left in.... :)

Title upon marriage

There is only one case of the oldest surviving son of the Prince of Wales marrying before his father succeeded to the throne: the future George V who married Mary of Teck in 1893. He had already been created Duke of York a year earlier, shortly after the death of his older brother brought him directly in line of succession to the throne.

In recent years, several royal princes who did not already have a title were given one upon marriage, including Prince Andrew, who was created Duke of York when he married in 1986.[58] In a break with precedent[59] Prince Edward was created Earl of Wessex; at the same time it was announced that he will be given the title Duke of Edinburgh when that title, currently held by his father, reverts to the Crown.[60][61] According to The Daily Telegraph, it is expected that William will be offered a dukedom on his marriage, allowing his wife to be styled as a duchess.[62][63] In an interview with This is Sussex, Charles Kidd, editor of Debrett's, said that the title most likely to be bestowed on Prince William on the eve of his wedding was Duke of Sussex, although he added that other available dukedoms are Windsor, Clarence, Cambridge, Kendal, Avondale, and Strathearn.[64][65]

In Letters Patent dated 21 August 1996 (shortly after the divorce of the Prince and Princess of Wales) it was acknowledged that "by convention the wife of the son of a sovereign of these Realms the wife of a son of a son of a Sovereign and the wife of the eldest living son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is entitled to the style title or attribute of Royal Highness".[66] If William were not given a title then, after the wedding, Middleton would, by convention, be known as Her Royal Highness Princess William of Wales[62] taking her husband's first name on marriage (as with Princess Michael of Kent).[61] If however William is given a title, she would be known as "Her Royal Highness the Duchess [or other rank if appropriate] of N".

In December 2010, it was reported in The Daily Telegraph that William did not wish to receive a dukedom, preferring to remain simply "Prince William" while also wanting Middleton to become "Princess Catherine". It was suggested that this caused a dilemma for the Queen because princesses traditionally receive such titles through birth instead of marriage. If the Queen does break tradition, royal biographer Kenneth Rose believes Princess Michael of Kent would then also ask for a non-traditional title like "Princess Marie-Christine" too.[67]

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 23,539
    I wish the couple the best, of course, but to be frank, I find royals and their business quite boring material. The media always tend to lift an event like this above reasonable heights, reminding us time and time again of the unethical amounts of attention and money thrown at such a public happening. I don't want to segue into moralising this thing up the wazoo so the argument that it's just very - very dull in my book will stand as my primary argument for being neither interested in nor pleased with all the ridiculousness surrounding events like this. That said, I do believe it can (re-)unite a nation if needs be and it gives many something, a pride if you like, to cling to. For that alone, for what it could mean to so many people, I let it happen (of course, what else?) and simply try to avoid as many conversations on the topic as I can. Apart from this conversation, of course. I gladly debate the issue. ;;)
    To be honest, I'm sick to death of hearing about this and it is of no interest to me. It surprises me the amount of people who are interested in celebrity/royal romances/weddings. Just my opinion of course but it is hard for me to see why this sort of thing fascinates people so much.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 37
    I thought I was through watching coverage about this tonight, but TLC (The Learning Channel) has several programs going on. This royal coverage for me, is a great diversion from all of the **** going on in the world right now. It's that, or watching "R" rated sex and violence on HBO.... :)

MOD EDIT: language filtered
    edited April 2011 Posts: 23,539
    Quoting Bond_Ed: It's that, or watching "R" rated sex and violence on HBO.... :-)
    You're right, the royal wedding is the only correct option. ;-)

Ah well, I guess it's beyond the couple's own control. They are supposed to follow the protocols. I'm not sure, if I were prince Williams, that I'd be pleased with all that media attention - in fact even a 'regular' wedding with friends, colleagues and family attending seems like a nightmare to me right now. The girlfriend and I are no doubt going to disagree about a great many things in that respect, should the day ever come of course. :X
  • uuummm but the real question is would you with Kate? 'One would' should be the answer and 'one would many times a night and day'.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Quoting Bounine:
    To be honest, I'm sick to death of hearing about this and it
    is of no interest to me. It surprises me the amount of people who are interested
    in celebrity/royal romances/weddings. Just my opinion of course but it is hard
    for me to see why this sort of thing fascinates people so much.
    I understand how you feel, Bounine. As much as i'm trying to live under a rock until the day has passed, mention of it is everywhere I turn. And there was me being glad that this place was the last bastion of The Wedding free discussion. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Apparently half the planet (3 billion people) will watch the wedding live throughout the world. 8->
    Not looking forward to Friday. Think I will have to go for a very long walk. It appears half the world is only one step away from 'Hello'. The other half have a lot more serious stuff to concern them.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited April 2011 Posts: 987
    As a staunch royalist I'm really pleased for the Royal couple, especially as I get an extra Bank Holiday out of it, even though instead of using it wisely to cram in 4 or 5 Bond films my wife wants to waste it watching TV coverage about a stupid wedding or something! :)
    Quoting Grant: The other half have a lot more serious stuff to concern them.
    And the money spent could probably serve other purposes as well.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited April 2011 Posts: 823
    I watched the wedding between Charles and Diana. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!

To me it was NO BIG DEAL so I won't be watching this!!

Considering the state of the world today and I am sure there are many people in the UK too that are not doing too well, this is a waste of taxpayer money !!

Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong since I am just a humble and often misinformed American regarding the Royal Affairs of the British Empire;

but isn't being a Prince and a Princess, Queen and King, etc etc in the UK just a title now?

It doesn't mean anything anymore.

The Queen and King no longer have absolute power like they used to and send the British Army to conquer any country they want at a shake of a fist!!

I found this, the British Citizens pay money to maintain the Royal Family?

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/176828.html

Why?

The Royal Family has more money than all the British Citizens combined!!
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 117
    Quoting forgotmyusername: uuummm but the real question is would you with Kate? 'One would' should be the answer and 'one would many times a night and day'.

Yeeeaaaaaaah!

"Can one give one one?" :-)) >:-) :-j
    @j7wild - a lot of monarchies work like that these days. They are more of a figureheard than anything but can still excercise some power ... but really they leave it up to the elected Government officials. They are what unites the nation so to speak. As for taxpayers paying for the Royals ... once again that happens a lot but the thing to remember is that the government has power over how much goes to the Royals (or at least this is defs the case in Spain). Public support has a sway in this.

I'll be watching it anyway - to see the dress and all :)

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Hullo young lady. ;-)

The monarchy is very much about pomp and ceremony these days, but the value of the monarchy to an island like Britain is incalculable. Critics call it outdated, which it is. But for the sake of tourism if nothing else the monarchy is as important as any stone built landmark or Shakespeare, Robin Hood and the Beatles.

Maybe it belongs in the past, but if we didn't have it we would want it back. Americans love Royal weddings because its something they don't have. And if no tax payers money was pumped in to the Royal family not one of us would actually feel any better off. Hundreds of small London based businesses would certainly feel worse off though.

I will watch it if only to enjoy playing games like 'how the hell did Rowan Atkinson get an invite?'
    Well, Dad, the real question is why wouldn't you invite Rown Atkinson to your wedding? Mr Bean is a credit to our society.

Another fun game is a drinking game ... alas as I need to be very alert the next day I'll be recording it and saving that way of watching it for another day ... I mean what ...? :P
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690

Stephane Bern, our very own Monarchy expert here... Not sure I'll be watching him on the telly for 5 hours straight during the wedding tomorrow morning...
    I hope for them it will be a great day, I cannot be bothered to watch unless it involves close friends or family. This wedding qualifies in neither category so I don't care. Isn't there a decent Hitchcock movie on BBC2 at the same time?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Quoting AgentFae: Well, Dad, the real question is why wouldn't you invite Rown Atkinson to your wedding? Mr Bean is a credit to our society.
    I'm not sure about that, but Blackadder certainly is!
    Quoting SaintMark: Isn't there a decent Hitchcock movie on BBC2 at the same time?
    Hmmm, think the Snooker's on virtually all day on BBC2 actually. Riveting telly all round then... ;)
    Quoting St_George: Hmmm, think the Snooker's on virtually all day on BBC2 actually. Riveting telly all round then... ;)
    And I'll be watching it, sir. I've been watching snooker since the glory days of Stephen Hendry. Hated to see him lose his golden touch over the years. In any case, it'll offer me a lot more pleasure than staring at boring parades and mind numbing discussions pretending this is the event of a lifetime.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    @DarthDimi Judd Trump trumps the Royal Wedding then? I'm sure the British Establishment didn't see that one coming... ;)
    Quoting AgentFae: I'll be watching it anyway - to see the dress and all :-)
    That's my main motivation. I know I'll see it later, but the curiosity is killing me.
    @St_George You better believe it, sir. ;;)
    Quoting lalala2004: That's my main motivation. I know I'll see it later, but the curiosity is
    killing me.
    Not me Las, I've got £10 on Prince Phillip nodding off during the service ;-)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Why do people care about those charlatans? Aren't you Brits paying for all of this? You should be PO'd! ;)
    So if I say I don't believe in God is it ok to stand up, demand the abolishen of the catholic church and question how much better off we would all be if the church gave its billions back to the people?
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,598
    "As much as i'm trying to live under a rock until the day has passed, mention of it is everywhere I turn."

Yes, you'd literally have to hide under a rock until it had passed to avoid hearing about it. My God. Can't understand the attraction myself.

It amuses me how the Americans are so fascinated by the Royals. As someone said, guess it's because they haven't a Royal family. Alot look at celebrities and royalty like they're gods or something. LOL.

The only apparel Kate could wear that interests me is her Birthday suit. Down with the damn wedding! ;-) Looks wise, I think she is average but she seems like a very nice, stand up, devoted girl which is to her credit.

I bet Prince Harry will be counting down the seconds until it's over or atleast until the booze fest starts afterwards.
    Quoting Bounine: It amuses me how the Americans are so fascinated by the Royals. As someone said, guess it's because they haven't a Royal family. Alot look at celebrities and royalty like they're gods or something. LOL.
    Not to put words into any Americans' mouths, but technically our heritage is theirs too, given where the US's founding fathers came from. A proportion of US citizens will be able to trace their ancestry back to these shores as well, of course.

@Bounine There's something missing with Kate for me; though I'm sure she's a likeable enough girl in person and everything. Her mum's a bona fide MILF, mind... :>
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 11,189
    The public are frankly as fickle as anything. We Brits take the royal family for granted and if they were going to be abolished tomorrow, you can bet your life there would be an outcry of "oh, how wonderful they are and how important a part of our history and culture they are".

Personally I'd like to watch some of it. The wedding is an occasion that will be remembered for a while. Amidst this whole bleak philosophy we have the uk, the wedding will be something we can actually have fun over, whether we are strict royalists or not.
    I think the parade will be interesting to a point. I like parades. Kate's sister isn't bad. Definitely better looking than Kate.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited April 2011 Posts: 987
    I'm rather surprised considering the amount of media coverage and speculation especially on the dress that nothing has been mentioned about Kate's wedding night lingerie, will it be satin, silk or leather? Will it be pearl white, midnight black or saucy red? Is she going for the elegant, classic or sexy style?
    Now my hunch is (and I should stress it's only an educated guess and I have no inside information to confirm this) that she will opt for the fake leopard skin, slutty look.

Anyway regardless of what you may feel regarding the Monarchy, these are two young people very much in love, and I genuinely wish the happy couple the very best wishes on their big day and hope they have a long, happy and successful marriage.