Could Eric Pohlmann have played Blofeld in YOLT and OHMSS?

edited January 2013 in Actors Posts: 14,823
I wonder about it and I am asking the question carefully, as I know great voice actors are not necessarily great actors. And his appearance may not have matched the voice. That said, I always thought that it was a great loss not having his sinister voice for Blofeld after TB. You could scar Donald Pleasence all you wanted, he was not nearly as menacing. Would Pohlmann have needed the scar at all? Telly Savalas was physically more menacing than Pleasence, but he also lacked the voice. But maybe Pohlmann would not have been a believable fighter against Lazenby.

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The thing with Pleasance's Blofeld, to me anyway, is that its all in the appearance, and the reveal. Its pretty shocking, the first time you see it, when Blofeld reveals himself and his hideous eye scar. I feel that effect would be lost if Pohlmann was Blofeld. I would be interesting to see, but I think Pleasance was the right choice. Easily.
    Mallory wrote:
    The thing with Pleasance's Blofeld, to me anyway, is that its all in the appearance, and the reveal. Its pretty shocking, the first time you see it, when Blofeld reveals himself and his hideous eye scar. I feel that effect would be lost if Pohlmann was Blofeld. I would be interesting to see, but I think Pleasance was the right choice. Easily.

I am not so sure. I love Pleasence as an actor, but he lacked the physique (but did Pohlmann had the right physique? that's another question) and the voice I would imagine with Blofeld. He looked like a malevolent dwarf. The scar was makeup after all, something they could have added to any actor. Pleasence does, however, have creepy face and eyes. And I wonder if Pohlmann could have been natural talking with Blofeld's voice AND acting in the flesh.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here.
This discussion has been closed.