Whatever happened to EON Productions other film projects?

edited January 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,407
Does anybody remember this? I thought it was a great idea at the time. Obviously Wilson and Barbara should only focas on the Bond films but I remember thinking it would be cool to see EON's name on other films.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=6104&t=mi6&s=news

Comments

That may include Purvis & Wade's upcoming projects, but that's just me thinking.

This was reported in 2008, before the financial mess that became MGM. So these plans may be on permanent ice as of now; and with a Billion dollar Bond on their hands, I doubt Eon want to get distracted.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    That may include Purvis & Wade's upcoming projects, but that's just me thinking.

This was reported in 2008, before the financial mess that became MGM. So these plans may be on permanent ice as of now; and with a Billion dollar Bond on their hands, I doubt Eon want to get distracted.

I thought it might be something to do with MGM too, but this deal was between EON and Sony. Just strange as there has been nothing since 2008
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    A good thing to bring back up @bondbat007, I've always wondered this. I can't see anything happening soon but in the future some time, who knows?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Yes dammit - wheres the Jinx spinoff film we were promised!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

It was re-titled Catwoman...
    Would sooner they stick with Bond thank you very much! Focus on the scripts for future movies so we can have another potential blockbuster on our hands!
  • There are plenty of other production companies to make other films, I rely on EON to deliver me my Bond fix.

We've had lots of big gaps recently and I don't like that. I want EON to focus on Bond and to try and get a film every 2 years again for a good while.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There are plenty of other production companies to make other films, I rely on EON to deliver me my Bond fix.

We've had lots of big gaps recently and I don't like that. I want EON to focus on Bond and to try and get a film every 2 years again for a good while.

It's about what they want too. We'll all have to face that inevitability someday.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Jinx, you say.
    There are plenty of other production companies to make other films, I rely on EON to deliver me my Bond fix.

I agree. I recall reading that Cubby disliked Saltzman being involved in other movie projects and wanted Harry to concentrate solely on Bond. It seems rather hypocritical of the Broccoli clan to now consider expanding into other areas when it goes against the original Broccoli philosophy.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 55
    bondsum wrote:
    I recall reading that Cubby disliked Saltzman being involved in other movie projects and wanted Harry to concentrate solely on Bond.

I've read that too. But I've also read that the ORIGINAL plan for Eon was to do one Bond movie and one non-Bond per year (hence, CALL ME BWANA...which was a notable dud, and may have destroyed that plan).

• There was an interesting article that I read back in the 90s that criticized EON for only making Bond films...the writer took the view that if they diversified into other films, then the learning experiences of doing them would add to the quality of the Bond series. The idea was that the Bond films had become stale and tired; a shadow of the cutting edge and stylish films of the 60s (this would have been around the time of TND or TWINE).

I take the opposite view. At this point EON seems to have settled quite nicely into making quality films, and any time spent on other projects would take away time overseeing Bond and leave decisions in the hands of less experienced people.
  • bondsum wrote:

I agree. I recall reading that Cubby disliked Saltzman being involved in other movie projects and wanted Harry to concentrate solely on Bond. It seems rather hypocritical of the Broccoli clan to now consider expanding into other areas when it goes against the original Broccoli philosophy.

I've just checked Cubby's filmography, he focused almost entirely on Bond after DN was released, so that seems in line with what you read.