Is DAD the most universally loathed Bond film?

Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,721
It seems that way. The films I can do without like MWTGG or DAF have a surprising amount of love here and I have learnt to like, and subsequently defend, MR. But DAD seems to be bordering on indefensible - in the context of the franchise that is.

Yet I seem to remember according to Rotten Tomatoes A View To A Kill is the most critically savaged?

This is not a 'what is the worst bond film' thread - this is specifically about DAD being perceived as the most loathed film - both on this forum and in general.

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I'd say yes, it is. Time certainly has not been kind to it and makes some of the other "bad" Bond films look good by comparison.

I watched a fair chunk of DAD last night with a friend and, while I genuinely believe there are some strong bits in it, there's also a lot that is TERRIBLE.

The friend I was watching it with last night had always quite liked it before hand. After watching it for the first time in some years his response was: "yeah that was pretty bad"

We both agreed that the worst character in the film (other than Mr Kil) was Halle Berry's Jinx.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,808
    Yes, it's the worst James Bond film ever, and deservedly so. I remember reading/hearing that DAD was going to be the most gritty and serious Bond film plotwise yet from a Pierce Brosnan interview. I really wish I could track that down now!

Having said all of that, DAD was really well-liked on many of the Bond forums at the time and it came in for very little criticism. I think in the wake of the Craig era Bond films it has been pooh-poohed as a decadent old-world James Bond film. There are actually some good bits in it, but its worse than DAF and that's saying something - it seems to be the James Bond film that it most resembles!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Yes, it's the worst James Bond film ever, and deservedly so. I remember reading/hearing that DAD was going to be the most gritty and serious Bond film plotwise yet from a Pierce BNrosnan interview. I really wish I could track that down now!

Having said all of that, DAD was really well-liked on many of the Bond forums at the time and it came in for very little criticism. I think in the wake of the Craig era BNond films it has been pooh-poohed as a decadent old-world James Bond film. There are actually some good bits in it, but its worse than DAF and that's saying something - it seems to be the James Bond film that it most resembles!

I agree that Craig's era has exposed the flaws in not just DAD but the Brosnan era as a whole. Still love GE though.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Yes, it's the worst James Bond film ever, and deservedly so. I remember reading/hearing that DAD was going to be the most gritty and serious Bond film plotwise yet from a Pierce BNrosnan interview. I really wish I could track that down now!

Having said all of that, DAD was really well-liked on many of the Bond forums at the time and it came in for very little criticism. I think in the wake of the Craig era BNond films it has been pooh-poohed as a decadent old-world James Bond film. There are actually some good bits in it, but its worse than DAF and that's saying something - it seems to be the James Bond film that it most resembles!

I agree that Craig's era has exposed the flaws in not just DAD but the Brosnan era as a whole. Still love GE though.

Yes, and lets not forget, Pierce Brosnan was really popular in his day - this negativity was not present at the time, as far as I can recall!
  • Maybe along with AVTAK it is. I think the first 45 minutes are really good, but the invisible car, the tsunami and the impossible plot kill the movie.
    Maybe along with AVTAK it is. I think the first 45 minutes are really good, but the invisible car, the tsunami and the impossible plot kill the movie.

Agreed - it does start off well, but AVTAK is by no means the worst Bond movie at all! See Andrew McNess's new book James Bond in our Sights for more details on this overlooked and vastly underrated James Bond film!

This discussion has been closed.