Why no [character] in [film]?

Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,721
Why no Felix Leiter in AVTAK?

Seems like a missed opportunity to include Bond's ally especially seeing as so much of it is set in America. They even have the character of Chuck Lee which is essentially a poor man's Leiter anyway. Is it possibly because the character dies - which could have been easily changed or maybe because Leiter had just appeared in the rival NSNA?

Comments

not all stories set in america feature Felix Leiter i mean he could be on an another assignment..would Felix have been in Moonraker?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Good idea, @Major_Boorthroyd! I have taken the liberty to make this thread a more general place for discussing similar matters. It helps to keep the forums clean. ;-)
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    002 wrote:
    not all stories set in america feature Felix Leiter i mean he could be on an another assignment..would Felix have been in Moonraker?

There wasn't much of Moonraker set in America was there? But I take your point - I always thought it was a shame they didn't make Jack Wade in GE and TND Felix Leiter but I guess they thought it would be problematic with the whole dismemberment in LTK and they didn't introduce Leiter again until the CR reboot.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I was actually about to mention Jack Wade! I always thought character would of been the next best thing to Leiter. I'm not sure why they didn't use him more in the Brosnan era.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2013 Posts: 16,330
    I was actually about to mention Jack Wade! I always thought character would of been the next best thing to Leiter. I'm not sure why they didn't use him more in the Brosnan era.

I could see him in DAD. "Hey Graves, you do any gardening in that Biodome?"
    It was sad that he had to die i think oh. I do not see why he had to oh do you really?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Why has Sherrif JW Pepper not been brought into the Craig era reboot? He could have been Bond's South American contact instead of Mathis in QoS. Bond dumping him in a bin would have been fine then...

All joking aside, Leiter in Skyfall again would have been nice, even though he is now section chief of South America. I like Wright as Leiter.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really like Wright as Leiter a lot, and I'm hoping he is in Bond 24.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Mallory wrote:
    Why has Sherrif JW Pepper not been brought into the Craig era reboot?

Because Craig respects the Bond franchise.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mallory wrote:
    Why has Sherrif JW Pepper not been brought into the Craig era reboot?

Because Craig respects the Bond franchise.
    And the Craig films aren't parody.
  • I sometimes care little if Leiter is included in Bond or not. He's hardly a pivotal figure, and It's not an omission if it occurs, with the same magnitude of Q or Moneypenny for example. Just feel indifferent to Wright's version, but once again, it's not really a character I ever much look out for

I guess Yip's Chuck Lee, was a variation of Leiter, but all I remember about him was having a quite ridiculous exit at Sutton's mansion when Grace Jones appeared in the rear seats. And would Leiter even have been killed before (the reboot) ? We did come close to that in License to Kill, but even Sanchez's aim was "only" to maim Leiter, and not necessarily to kill off the character

JW Pepper was a great character, larger than life, but we simply can't have him back again. That was Clifton James part in the 1970s. It belongs to him, and wouldn't want anyone else to have it. Commonsense dictates that they won't bring the character back again above all else