"X-Men" and "The Wolverine"

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
edited December 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,812
Any news/pics on X-Men and Wolverine TV shows or movies can be discussed here.

A new X-Men movie is in the works and it's called "Days of Future Past". It's reported to have Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan returning. Brian Singer said, via his twitter, that Hugh Jackman has joined the cast of X-Men: Days of Future Past. The plot is to revolve around time travel and it will be released in 2014.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/19/hugh-jackman-x-men-days-future-past/

"The Wolverine" starring Hugh Jackman will be released summer of 2013 and will have "Die Another Day" villian Will Yun Lee as the Silver Samurai.
MV5BODEwMjg5MTUwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg5ODc2OA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Comments

Just some of my thoughts about the X Men franchise

Besides the Bond series, I'm a sucker for continuity. It's one of the reasons I don't really like X Men Origins: Wolverine and one of the reasons I love First Class. For all the nitpicking plot holes people say about First Class, I just say "forget it, it's a prequel whether you like it or not"

So apparently The Wolverine takes place after X3. I think this is a good choice as it really gives the filmmakers a lot to work with (although some pics releases has Wolverine with bone claws so flashbacks maybe?)

As for Days of Future Past. Can't wait for that one! I LOVED First Class and with Singer directing with the new and old cast, I'm really looking forward to it. One of my most anticipated movies for sure!
  • A new X-Men movie is in the works and it's called "Days of Future Past". It's reported to have Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan returning. Brian Singer said, via his twitter, that Hugh Jackman has joined the cast of X-Men: Days of Future Past. The plot is to revolve around time travel and it will be released in 2014.
    Don't forget James McAvoy & Michael Fassbender have signed on as well! I can't wait to see the back and forth time travel with old/young characters!!
    I also heard a rumor that Halle Berry & James Marsden could be back for cameos.... as Storm & Cyclops in the post apocalyptic future!!!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    bondbat007 wrote:
    So apparently The Wolverine takes place after X3. I think this is a good choice as it really gives the filmmakers a lot to work with (although some pics releases has Wolverine with bone claws so flashbacks maybe?)

Where does this information come from? Last I knew, The Wolverine took place after Origins.
  • Can't remember where- but I heard it too
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 6,432
    http://screenrant.com/wolverine-2-set-after-x-men-trilogy/

Obviously Singer not Vaughn is helming Days of future past since that article was written.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Thanks @fire_and_ice. That kinda pisses me off, I have to say.
  • Thanks @fire_and_ice. That kinda pisses me off, I have to say.

No problem mate, what the fact singer is directing or where The Wolverine fits in the chronology? Reading the article appears Fox are trying to do what Disney have done with Marvel and create a fluid universe for Xmen.
    Where The Wolverine fits. Singer directing Days of Future Past is not only good news but old news. I've been hoping for consistent universes in the X-Men films (or, preferably, that all Marvel movies have one single consistent universe) since the beginning.
  • Where The Wolverine fits. Singer directing Days of Future Past is not only good news but old news. I've been hoping for consistent universes in the X-Men films (or, preferably, that all Marvel movies have one single consistent universe) since the beginning.

Certainly occurred to me that it would be great to see Wolverine and Spiderman in a Avengers movie. As long as fox keep churning out xmen movies every 3 years they hold onto the rights if i understand it correctly, same with spiderman and Sony. I am sure Disney would like to get there hands on the lot.
    Where The Wolverine fits. Singer directing Days of Future Past is not only good news but old news. I've been hoping for consistent universes in the X-Men films (or, preferably, that all Marvel movies have one single consistent universe) since the beginning.

Certainly occurred to me that it would be great to see Wolverine and Spiderman in a Avengers movie. As long as fox keep churning out xmen movies every 3 years they hold onto the rights if i understand it correctly, same with spiderman and Sony. I am sure Disney would like to get there hands on the lot.

Well, Marvel, Paramount, Disney and Sony came to an agreement during The Avengers that the OsCorp building from The Amazing Spider-Man could be in the the background of The Avengers, but whatever VFX department was working on Spider-Man didn't finish the OsCorp building design in time to actually put the building in.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 6,432
    @Agent007391 I never knew that, i remember one rumour that Spiderman was possibly going to have a cameo prior to avengers release. Obviously fan fiction. It is quite muddled when you break down which studios have the rights to each marvel character. I suppose fox could have spiderman cross over into a fantastic four movie.

forget spiderman fantastic four, two different studios. My brain is tired lol

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies-characters-carl-6766/

link above interesting read on who owns what in the marvel universe.
    Well, here's what I know:

X-Men, Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer and all truly related characters (all the mutants, Bullseye, the Kingpin, the Inhumans, Galactus and such) are currently owned by FOX, and we all know which one of those is actually doing business.

Spider-Man and all related characters (the Goblins, obvious the Lizard, Venom, probably even Carnage, too) are owned by Sony.

Blade and all related characters are owned by New Line Cinema, which I think means that now they're owned by Warner Brothers (who also owns DC Comics).

The Hulk and related characters (Leader, Abomination, Doc Sampson) were owned exclusively by Universal, but are now somewhat co-owned by Disney/Marvel and Universal, with Disney/Marvel having absolute say in the matter (I think that's why The Incredible Hulk was still distributed by Universal instead of Paramount back in 2008).

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, War Machine, so forth and so on are owned by Disney/Marvel, with limited distribution rights still going to Paramount (I think the deal ends with Iron Man 3, and so Thor: The Dark World will be the first one with the Disney logo at the front).

Lionsgate used to own the rights to The Punisher, but those have gone back to Disney/Marvel. I wish they'd make a War Zone sequel, but they'll probably do another reboot.

Now, technically, Disney/Marvel owns all of the characters, but sadly film company bureaucracy won't let that happen.
  • In time Marvel/Disney will have soul rights i would think. With DC its certainly a lot more straight forward.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
This discussion has been closed.