What would you change about DAD?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 3,279
    echo wrote:
    Change everything. Go back to the title "Bond 20" and start from scratch.

Agree 100000%. There is absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, about DAD that is redeemable. It contains the worst elements of the entire franchise, which include -

The worst title.
    The worst Bond.
    The worst Bond villain.
    The worst Bond girl.
    The worst Bond gadgets.
    The worst Bond song.
    The worst script.
    The worst director.

When you have all these things stacked up against you, there isn't anywhere to go but down. Or you scrap everything and start again......fast forward to 2006, where a decent Bond movie is born.
    Actually the title, according to the audio commentary, is taken from an old ww1 poem which contains the line (quote may not be exact)

"you're alive now but you live to die another day"

In that context the title is actually quite good.

• You know what, as its Christmas and I'm feeling festive, I wouldn't change a thing. It is now my guilty pleasure. So bad that its good. Merry Xmas DAD!!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You know what, as its Christmas and I'm feeling festive, I wouldn't change a thing. It is now my guilty pleasure. So bad that its good. Merry Xmas DAD!!

Sellout.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Actually the title, according to the audio commentary, is taken from an old ww1 poem which contains the line (quote may not be exact)

The Day of Battle by A. E. Housman

"Far I hear the bugle blow
    To call me where I would not go,
    And the guns begin the song,
    'Soldier, fly or stay for long.'"

"Comrade, if to turn and fly
    Made a soldier never die,
    Fly I would, for who would not?
    'Tis sure no pleasure to be shot."

"But since the man that runs away
    Lives to die another day,

And cowards' funerals, when they come
    Are not wept so well at home."

"Therefore, though the best is bad,
    Stand and do the best my lad;
    Stand and fight and see your slain,
    And take the bullet in your brain."
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    It's a shame a poem like that is linked to a film containing a 'character' called Mr Kil.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It's a shame a poem like that is linked to a film containing a 'character' called Mr Kil.

More like caricature.
    Hence why the word was abbreviated ;)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    -Take out the CGI bullet in the gunbarrel.
    -No Madonna
    -Show a bigger difference in Bond post-torture, like a slight limp or cuts
    -Take out Peaceful Fountains of Desire (or whatever her name was) and put Michelle Weoh in a cameo as Wai Lin.
    -Take out Halle Berry and the whole Jinx character and replace her with a stronger character who is a villain. (and keep Frost as a ally)
    -Keep Zao as he was (diamonds in the face) without the gene stuff
    -No ice palace or Iceland at all
    -NO PARASURFING
    -Bring in another director
    -Have Gustav Graves and General Moon be two different people.
    -Take out virtual reality and have it be a test mission as Bond will test himself and bring him back.
    -No invisible Aston Martin.
    -Keep homages at a minimum.
  • The virtual reality I think should've just been a test course using blanks, the bad guys are actually MI6 agents.

I liked the Ice palace myself. I thought the set was really well designed and it did remind me a bit of the old OTT villian lairs.

To be honest the whole Moon is Graves angle didn't annoy me much and if they were two different people why would they work together? So I'd keep that. But instead of the stupid gene therapy just say he's had loads of plastic surgery, Graves (who might not be called Graves now actually) would be disfigured, his face messed up after he had way too much work done.
    0013 wrote:
    1. The title song.
    2. Improve or change the Gustav Graves character.
    3. No virtual reality.

With this three, it would be an acceptable movie for me (and if I had to choose only one, it'll be my number 3 modification).

The funny thing is, this is one of the best parts of the movie, the only one that doesn't need to make sense (as it's VR), and it shows that MI6 has access to better CG than EON does.

I much rather an old-school training exercise or a real attack on MI6. But the scene of Moneypenny I take it as an insult to 40 years of history because of a stupid joke.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I started this topic and even I will admit that the first half does contain actual writing and wit. It's only in the abominable second half (which negate all the good will of the first) that the real cracks in the films become readily apparent. Perhaps hire another writer, similar to Haggis and Logan, to polish off the script because clearly the two by themselves aren't able to create an intelligent and engaging script from start to finish.
  • I've reached a dead end this night so will make this the final thread response, but (how many Die Another Day threads are there now), to put everything into one basket, have the gunbarrel at the start as it always was (no CGI bullets FFS), and that is where it all started to go wrong with regards to that, no Halle Berry whatsoever - have Ciccone in the movie, but only as a cameo - get someone else to do the theme intro. Extend the Graves sword fight a little longer, some action pieces in the subway or abandoned tunnels instead of (just) the Invisible car demonstration, The ridiculous Graves electricity suit, that awful CGI sequence on the waves, more time in Iceland, cut out all the Cuba locations and sequences, omit the Kil character, and now I'm too tired to even continue..

Yes also, the absurd Moneypenny 'virtual reality' nonsense from the very end. Can you have imagined Maxwell behaving like that. Ok, new 'Penny, new Bond, new times, but that was all a bit unsavory. I don't know what they were thinking

Goodnight 8-|
  • 1. Keep the orchestral theme, but remove the techno beat, remove Madonna's voice and have maybe Shirley Bassey sing it at maybe 2/3rds of the tempo.

2. Have a proper title sequence, i.e not intercut with torture scenes and the CGI was really quite bad.

3. Jinx. Get rid of that character, or maybe just make her less smarmy, less ostentatious, less cartoon-ish.

4. The Madonna cameo.

5. The surfing scene on the ice with the parachute. That NEEDS to go.

6. David Arnold did a great score, a little too heavy on the electronic elements, if we could scale that back and actually turn the music up a little higher because it was almost impossible to hear during the ice chase.

7. I like the idea of the invisible car, just make it a little more realistic, i.e it doesn't become completely invisible, like not the tires aswell, and it's more of a camoflage type of thing that all-out Harry Potter style invisibility....

8. The ridiculous robocop suit Graves had on.

9. Any and all CGI used in that movie.

10. I felt the laser scene was OTT and ridiculous...

Just realised that I REALLY don't like this movie.

You've only just realised...??? <:-P
  • Just realised that I REALLY don't like this movie.

I've always disliked it, but when I started making the list I realised just how much I don't like Die Another Day, I found it embarrassing, sucks that it was Brosnan's last outing to go out 'Batman and Robin' style.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I've always disliked it, but when I started making the list I realised just how much I don't like Die Another Day, I found it embarrassing, sucks that it was Brosnan's last outing to go out 'Batman and Robin' style.

Please, please, please... DAD is much better tham Batman & Robin.

I'm not too sure on that one. Its very difficult to compare one pile of manure with another.

Above anything else it has to be that awful ice berg sequence! X_X

I'm not too sure on that one. Its very difficult to compare one pile of manure with another.

You know what, at least DAD doesn't have Arnold Schwartzenegger making horrible ice puns or singing.

Although, interestingly, both are the 4th film in a continuity (the Tim Burton/Joel Schneider Batman series and the Brosnan Bond films respectively), both involve ice, and both are the worst in their respective sets of four. Both also involve satellites using the sun in some way.
    You know what, at least DAD doesn't have Arnold Schwartzenegger making horrible ice puns or singing.
    And at least Batman and Robin doesn't have Halle Berry coming out with "Yo mama!" and "Wow. Now there's a mouthful."
  • Batman and Robin his close up shots of Batmans arse, Arnie making some really bad puns, Bat skates, a glow in the dark Gotham, nipples on the costumes, and a Bat credit card.

I know pretty much none of us like Die Another Day, it has some really stupid moments towards the end, some terrible dialouge and overall it's one of the worst Bond films.

But it's not worse than Batman and Robin.
    bondsum wrote:
    And at least Batman and Robin doesn't have Halle Berry coming out with "Yo mama!" and "Wow. Now there's a mouthful."

Y'know what, I can turn down the volume and still be attracted to her when she says stupid things, but I can't do that to Arnie.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The comparison's between DAD and Batman & Robin are utterly insane in my opinion. Sure, they're both in the lower tier of their respective franchises, but as a general movie experience and even just on a technical level, DAD is miles better than Batman & Robin.
  • The comparison's between DAD and Batman & Robin are utterly insane in my opinion. Sure, they're both in the lower tier of their respective franchises, but as a general movie experience and even just on a technical level, DAD is miles better than Batman & Robin.

Exactly. Sure DAD has a stupid 2nd half but Batman and Robin is just generally a terrible, terrible film.

DAD is definetly a bad Bond film but on it's own, compared as a film to Batman and Robin, it's miles better.
    Although, interestingly, both are the 4th film in a continuity (the Tim Burton/Joel Schneider Batman series and the Brosnan Bond films respectively), both involve ice, and both are the worst in their respective sets of four. Both also involve satellites using the sun in some way.

And both films were followed by a reboot of each franchise.

and made their Respective franchise's reborn and important again.
    lahaine wrote:

and made their Respective franchise's reborn and important again.

And, as of 2012, three films have been released in the reboot continuity of each franchise.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Still a weak title by itself. I would have preferred the title in Italian: Death can Wait. Still, the movie would have sucked, but at least the title would have been decent.