What type of Bond villain do you like the most?

2»

Comments

*cough* 'Blofeld' *cough*
    *cough* Of the movies *cough*

Indeed. One of the big misconceptions made by the post YOLT movies is that Blofeld was bent on world domination and that Bond villains are and should be.

Anyway, about the topic, I love both types of villain, when they are well done: the one that gets his hands dirty and the mastermind. Kronsteen never goes into a fight against Bond and he would lose pitifully in any kind of combat, yet he is a great villain just because of the plan he invented to trap Bond.
  • A villain who can be Bonds equal like Alec in Goldeneye and Silva
  • I am going to have to vote for Baron Samedi ;)
    Afterall, is there a more deadly villian than one that can't be killed?
    GF and Drax,on an intellectual level, were both were a match for Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2013 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote:
    Favourite villain is, Goldfinger. There's something just so organic about Frobe's performance.

I agree, there is something awesome, and I mean that in the true sense of the word (not like a Californian skater) about his performance. How much do you think was down to the physical performance of frobe, and the vocal performance of Michael Collins? I've never seen the German version of GF which has Frobe dubbing his voice back in. There's a brilliant duality that he creates in the performance, where he is at times aloof, nonchalant, almost lathargic, which then switches to genuine psychopathy.
  • Behind the scenes baddies like Whitaker & Stromberg are still interesting & should not be seen as pushovers. they may seem weak because of there lack of outside action but remember they are the ones pulling the strings & making the lackies pull together.

Bond may off them quickly but by God he has alot of work to do before tackling the crazy meglomaniac. Meglomaniacs tend to surprise attack Bond just like Whitaker & Stromberg. Auric Goldfinger is great but I'm sure if every 007 film had Goldfinger as a basis it would get a bit tedious? maybe not.
  • "We shall see a new power dominating the world"
    One with red hair and in wrong hotel room, laying naked in your hot tub.

Seriously though, larger than life villains like Goldfinger or Hugo Drax. Le Chiffre is my favorite of the new bunch (even though no larger than life)
    Batman23 wrote:
    A villain who can be Bonds equal like Alec in Goldeneye and Silva

Equal? I think the villain ahs to be Superior somehow. Not on everything, but on some things. Most masterminds villains are smarter than Bond. And the best henchmen were stronger than Bond.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Batman23 wrote:
    A villain who can be Bonds equal like Alec in Goldeneye and Silva

Equal? I think the villain ahs to be Superior somehow. Not on everything, but on some things. Most masterminds villains are smarter than Bond. And the best henchmen were stronger than Bond.

Well what I meant was some one who came from the same place as Bond like Alec and Silva were MI6 agents which made them come from same place.
  • "We shall see a new power dominating the world"

Classic quote enough said.
    I like memorable villians that stand out, and who have enough power to have everybody do everything for them, but can handle him/herself and get in on the dirty work when he/she needs to.

Sanchez, Blofeld, Trevelayn and Silva are my favourites.
  • Silva even tho he wasn't in the film for very long he still was brainy and even tho didn't kill m himself she did still manage to die.

But id like to see a huge threat not world wide that's to cartoonish and old
    Maybe a personal threat towards bond but destroying his country or maybe a villian who fought along side bond in the war and is seaking vengeance on bond for leaving his dry in the mist of battle

Mark Strong maybe???
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The ones that relish what they do. That are eccentric and have great lines without being campy.

Like Silva or Sanchez, or Trevelyan.

I mean, how often do we find ourselves quoting Dominic Greene?
    Believable Villain [-(
  • girl, who seduced and deceived bond

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    And by the way - 'believable' is a very loose term.
    I'd dare say that many of the 007 villains are no less credible or sane than current bonkers fascist tyrants such as Kim Jong-un, Silvio Berlusconi or Sep Blatter of FIFA notoriety... those guys would hardly come across as believable if you wrote them into a movie script !!
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Megalomaniac with world domination ambition. Freaky and unrealistic if it may need to be. For reality we have the news to see on TV. But as a JB fan i like them all. Still, Zorin , Blofeld, Dr.No, Goldfinger, Carver and Largo are my favourites. On another "vibe" i like Scaramanga and Electra. >:)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500
    AceHole wrote: »
    And by the way - 'believable' is a very loose term.
    I'd dare say that many of the 007 villains are no less credible or sane than current bonkers fascist tyrants such as Kim Jong-un, Silvio Berlusconi or Sep Blatter of FIFA notoriety... those guys would hardly come across as believable if you wrote them into a movie script !!

That is a very good point! And many people seem to forget this. Mankind is crazy and more evil than one could imagine. I'd argue there are far crazyer villains in real life than in Bond. Bond will always be a product of our imagnation, but real life is in itself unimaginable at times.

I don't think Blatter is the best example though. If the next Bond villain's evil scheme is to arrange the World Cup in Quatar, even I would be dissapointed. And I usually prefer the smaller scale Bond films. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The self made man. Like Sanchez. One who is resourceful, charming and mild mannered until the bear is poked and become quite nasty while showing a kind of panache. Someone with simple goals and not focused on Taking over the world.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    If they're the villains who don't go to space or genetically alter themselves, I usually like them.
  • My favourite villains are the ones Bond has playful banter with at first, like Kamal Khan 'Double sixes, fancy that'
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    My favourite villains are the ones Bond has playful banter with at first, like Kamal Khan 'Double sixes, fancy that'

Indeed Khan was a great foe, very underrated. I prefer him to the 'popular adversaries', ie. Auric Goldfinger & Blofeld

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My favourite villains are the ones Bond has playful banter with at first, like Kamal Khan 'Double sixes, fancy that'

Indeed Khan was a great foe, very underrated. I prefer him to the 'popular adversaries', ie. Auric Goldfinger & Blofeld

Agreed. He was very good. GET BOND! loved that moment of anger on his part.
    Someone NEW is good enough for me!
    Needs to be someone you like almost as much as Bond, and whose death is bittersweet.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Agreed. He was very good. GET BOND! loved that moment of anger on his part.

'Mr. Bond is indeed of a very rare breed... soon to be made extinct' - bring back these euphemisms between Bond and bad guy!
    A manipulative villain!