TWINE: Did Brosnan offer a definitive characterisation of 007?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    QQ7 wrote: »
    Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan are definitive James Bond actors, no one can convince me otherwise.

40560df1659711871b9408016a0519b5.jpg

izabella-scorupco-goldeneye-1995-800x540.jpg

Brosnan has nothing on Connery.

Brosnan was always a handsome fellow with handsomely silky voice and a twinkle in his eye, but was the Irishman was just too nice to play Bond? Except for the odd fleeting moment in 1995’s GoldenEye, he never had the edge for the part. Bond is not a decent chap; he is, as Connery, Craig and Moore etc realised, a hard/ cold bastard. Poor Brosnan was also victim to what these days is the worst era of Bond movies, culminating in the black-hole awfulness of 2002’s Die Another Day.

I have to say I fully agree with you. That's why I hate those moments in TWINE when Brosnan badly emotes (I've highlighted a few of those cringe making moments in earlier posts) - apart from being poor acting - it's just too cheesy to be Bond.

Agree. The only watchable scenes in The World Is Not Enough are the Bilbao Meeting and Boat Chase. The so-called scenes where Bond demonstrates his 'vulnerability' are really poorly executed by Brosnan. Cringeworthy. Ironically, the world is not enough to make this a great film, IMO.

+1.

Blasphemy!

Rewatching the film, even Brosnan fans must surely accept that he was never the new Connery, but rather a sort-of strangely flat Roger Moore – without even the charm, screen presence and natural gift for comedy that old raised eyebrow delivered in spades.

He was never Connery, nor was Dalton, Craig or Lazenby. Like it or not... Connery is the best. Period.

However, Brosnan was a more believable version of Moore, he was a bit more balanced, threatening and physically capable. Moore seemed out of place doing anything more than a slow stride. He was also a bit too nonchalant. Not to say he was bad, he was an incredibly consistent actor, which was Brosnan's issue, consistency, great only 90% of the time.

I always felt like the stark contrast between Moore's portrayal of Bond generally and in the more serious moments are what makes him believable, IMO.

I always found the opposite to be true, the above statement compounded with his awkward clumsiness in the physicality department just made him the least convincing spy on the planet.

But likewise, it must be said that people love him for other reasons and those reasons are very valid.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan are definitive James Bond actors, no one can convince me otherwise.

Brosnan was always a handsome fellow with handsomely silky voice and a twinkle in his eye, but was the Irishman was just too nice to play Bond? Except for the odd fleeting moment in 1995’s GoldenEye, he never had the edge for the part. Bond is not a decent chap; he is, as Connery, Craig and Moore etc realised, a hard/ cold bastard. Poor Brosnan was also victim to what these days is the worst era of Bond movies, culminating in the black-hole awfulness of 2002’s Die Another Day.

I have to say I fully agree with you. That's why I hate those moments in TWINE when Brosnan badly emotes (I've highlighted a few of those cringe making moments in earlier posts) - apart from being poor acting - it's just too cheesy to be Bond.

Agree. The only watchable scenes in The World Is Not Enough are the Bilbao Meeting and Boat Chase. The so-called scenes where Bond demonstrates his 'vulnerability' are really poorly executed by Brosnan. Cringeworthy. Ironically, the world is not enough to make this a great film, IMO.

+1.

Blasphemy!

Rewatching the film, even Brosnan fans must surely accept that he was never the new Connery, but rather a sort-of strangely flat Roger Moore – without even the charm, screen presence and natural gift for comedy that old raised eyebrow delivered in spades.

He was never Connery, nor was Dalton, Craig or Lazenby. Like it or not... Connery is the best. Period.

However, Brosnan was a more believable version of Moore, he was a bit more balanced, threatening and physically capable. Moore seemed out of place doing anything more than a slow stride. He was also a bit too nonchalant. Not to say he was bad, he was an incredibly consistent actor, which was Brosnan's issue, consistency, great only 90% of the time.

I always felt like the stark contrast between Moore's portrayal of Bond generally and in the more serious moments are what makes him believable, IMO.

I always found the opposite to be true, the above statement compounded with his awkward clumsiness in the physicality department just made him the least convincing spy on the planet.

But likewise, it must be said that people love him for other reasons and those reasons are very valid.

LALD, TMWTGG and FYEO prove without doubt that Moore could play Fleming’s Bond and add a harder edge to the character. He could also sell the physical side (albeit not as well as Connery) too.... he was an imposing man (at 6ft 2in).....just watch ‘The Saint’ and you will see he can do fist fights exceptionally well!

Although Fleming eventually warmed to Connery and even went on to become a fan of his portrayal, to him Bond had to be a gentleman. We can argue for as long as we want about what ‘Gentleman ’ means in this context, but just watch the peak-era films that Moore starred in and you’ll understand exactly what I mean. Bond is a ‘gentleman’ spy and assassin.

Britt Ekland, who starred opposite Moore in 1974’s The Man with the Golden Gun, told The Telegraph that ‘Roger [Moore] is the best Bond, of course – not just because of being my Bond, but because if you read the early Ian Fleming books describing him, that’s how he was.”

Most actors lack the class and sophistication of Moore. The whole reason the part of Bond was natural to him.

Moore's ease in the role is what makes him so enjoyable to watch. Not sure he was Fleming's Bond but he definitely inhabited the role and made it his own in a way that only Connery has matched (surpassed).
    In answer to the thread title question the answer is a solid and resounding ‘NO’. Furthermore, TWINE is one of the weakest films of the series.

Ultimately, the numbers never lie. According to Forbes, Connery's Bond films grossed a total of 4.5 billion dollars (adjusted to inflation). Craig's films have grossed 3.6 billion. There were also fewer theaters in the '60s and '70s than there are now.

+1.

Blasphemy!

LALD, TMWTGG and FYEO prove without doubt that Moore could play Fleming’s Bond and add a harder edge to the character. He could also sell the physical side (albeit not as well as Connery) too.... he was an imposing man (at 6ft 2in).....just watch ‘The Saint’ and you will see he can do fist fights exceptionally well!

Although Fleming eventually warmed to Connery and even went on to become a fan of his portrayal, to him Bond had to be a gentleman. We can argue for as long as we want about what ‘Gentleman ’ means in this context, but just watch the peak-era films that Moore starred in and you’ll understand exactly what I mean. Bond is a ‘gentleman’ spy and assassin.

Britt Ekland, who starred opposite Moore in 1974’s The Man with the Golden Gun, told The Telegraph that ‘Roger [Moore] is the best Bond, of course – not just because of being my Bond, but because if you read the early Ian Fleming books describing him, that’s how he was.”

Most actors lack the class and sophistication of Moore. The whole reason the part of Bond was natural to him.

Yeah, I've seen The Saint. He was still rubbish in a fight. And, to be honest, even if he was better in The Saint, it wouldn't make a difference to how poor he was in that same department as Bond. Even in those films mentioned above as example's of Moore's 'harder edge', there are moments of goof and clumsiness where he was totally out of his depth against villains of equal size - or in Nick Nack's case, much smaller.

Sure, we could argue about what 'Gentlemen' means, but it's not really relevant. It sort of dances around the issue, because you can be convincing as a 'Gentleman' spy and still be physically convincing when it comes to killing someone. Moore had charm in abundance, but I never bought him as a killer. Thankfully, as I said above, the saving grace is that his films were less interested in realism (even more so than any others up to that point). So they were enjoyable regardless. People don't love Moore's take on the character for his gritty realism, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'll humbly disagree with yourself and Britt Ekland on this one - I still enjoy Moore's movies though!
    In answer to the thread title question the answer is a solid and resounding ‘NO’. Furthermore, TWINE is one of the weakest films of the series.

Ultimately, the numbers never lie. According to Forbes, Connery's Bond films grossed a total of 4.5 billion dollars (adjusted to inflation). Craig's films have grossed 3.6 billion. There were also fewer theaters in the '60s and '70s than there are now.

I don't put too much weight on BO figures. DaD did well at the BO but is total garbage.

I was always skeptical about those numbers over the years as far as modern grosses go. I remember the big to-do about calling Brosnan the Billion Dollar Bond and I kept those things above in mind.

Not only were there fewer theaters, those films stayed around for longer it seems and people would go again and again. You couldn't just wait for the film to pop up a couple months later on home video and a TV premiere would also be years away. You can also keep in mind that the DN/FRWL reissue when spymania hit grossed even more for those than the actual first runs from what I've heard. The Bonds used to have the market to themselves but basically since TSWLM onward there's been a more crowded market of genre films to compete with.

Lastly, TWINE is the weakest film in the series as far as I'm concerned.
    Can't disagree with your last sentence. While the Brosnan era as a whole marked a depressing low point in the franchise (and I don't blame Brosnan solely for that) TWINE is the definitive bottom of that trough. DAD, although awful is at least insane and therefore so bad it almost comes out the other side.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,131

+1.

Blasphemy!

Yeah, I've seen The Saint. He was still rubbish in a fight. And, to be honest, even if he was better in The Saint, it wouldn't make a difference to how poor he was in that same department as Bond. Even in those films mentioned above as example's of Moore's 'harder edge', there are moments of goof and clumsiness where he was totally out of his depth against villains of equal size - or in Nick Nack's case, much smaller.

Sure, we could argue about what 'Gentlemen' means, but it's not really relevant. It sort of dances around the issue, because you can be convincing as a 'Gentleman' spy and still be physically convincing when it comes to killing someone. Moore had charm in abundance, but I never bought him as a killer. Thankfully, as I said above, the saving grace is that his films were less interested in realism (even more so than any others up to that point). So they were enjoyable regardless. People don't love Moore's take on the character for his gritty realism, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'll humbly disagree with yourself and Britt Ekland on this one - I still enjoy Moore's movies though!

While Roger Moore always appeared to be more concerned about his hair and appearance than getting his hands dirty, he was, in fact, an adept karate student of Aaron Banks.

There are numbers of hand-to-hand sequences in the Moore films, many include 'karate chops' and some low kicks and many campy uses of props but his fight scenes never reach the intensity and grit of Connery's, or later, Craig's, fight scenes. Moore understood his limitations in this area, and opted for cunning rather than grit in gaining the upper hand on his opponents in hand-to-hand combat scenes.

The series aided this paradigm by introducing characters such as Tee Hee of Live and Let Die (1973) and Jaws from The Spy Who Loves Me (1977) and Moonraker (1979) to make Moore's mortal fighting deficit seem less personal in light of these super-villains' extraordinary strength and size.

Moore was not entirely without talent or training in when it came to physical combat, his greatest skill of all was knowing what would make James Bond look good – and believable – when it came to these matters.

This wasn't a matter of laziness. Moore wasn't afraid to put in the work when a role called for it. In his pre-Bond television spy life as The Saint, the actor took up judo to help him properly play the scrappy Simon Templar.

So IMO his Bond was still good in a fight. He was a big imposing man too. Sure, Connery was tougher but I’m pretty sure Moore could give 5ft 10in Craig Bond a good fight given his 6ft 2in stature.

+1.

Blasphemy!

While Roger Moore always appeared to be more concerned about his hair and appearance than getting his hands dirty, he was, in fact, an adept karate student of Aaron Banks.

There are numbers of hand-to-hand sequences in the Moore films, many include 'karate chops' and some low kicks and many campy uses of props but his fight scenes never reach the intensity and grit of Connery's, or later, Craig's, fight scenes. Moore understood his limitations in this area, and opted for cunning rather than grit in gaining the upper hand on his opponents in hand-to-hand combat scenes.

The series aided this paradigm by introducing characters such as Tee Hee of Live and Let Die (1973) and Jaws from The Spy Who Loves Me (1977) and Moonraker (1979) to make Moore's mortal fighting deficit seem less personal in light of these super-villains' extraordinary strength and size.

Moore was not entirely without talent or training in when it came to physical combat, his greatest skill of all was knowing what would make James Bond look good – and believable – when it came to these matters.

This wasn't a matter of laziness. Moore wasn't afraid to put in the work when a role called for it. In his pre-Bond television spy life as The Saint, the actor took up judo to help him properly play the scrappy Simon Templar.

So IMO his Bond was still good in a fight. He was a big imposing man too. Sure, Connery was tougher but I’m pretty sure Moore could give 5ft 10in Craig Bond a good fight given his 6ft 2in stature.

All of this makes his awkwardness in these scenes, as well as their generally poor choreography, even more disappointing. If he had strong fighting skills in reality, it sure didn't come across in his Bond films, unfortunately. For my money, most of the other Bonds would have won out against Moore's version of the character fairly easily, especially Connery, Lazenby and Craig.
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers
    No. TWINE sees Brosnan's weakest performance as Bond. Now I don't think TWINE is worse than DAD and I'm frankly astonished that some think it is. No Bond movie is as dire as DAD.
    Now, I'll just excuse myself before this thread morphs into a TWINE appreciation thread or TWINE hate thread. Whichever.
    did anyone else know that Sophie Macau filmed with the Aston Martin DB5? What happened to these scenes.......

twine_jaguar1.jpg

They ended up on the cutting room floor, Bond is seen driving to the funeral in the DB5.

A few scenes were cut that I wished would have been included. Bond pulling up to the funeral in the DB5, the oil field drive with Elektra and especially the additional dialogue between Bond and M in her office early in the film. Always wished they kept that exchange...

M: "Contrary to what you may believe , Double 0 Seven, the world is not populated by madmen who can hollow out volcanoes, fill them with big-breasted women, and threaten the world with nuclear annihilation"

Bond: "It only takes one"

This is on the DVD. I always liked this exchange, it's self-knowing and Brosnan delivers that line excellently. It just solidifies his relationship with M so well. Would have bought the house down.

I have always been intrigued by this deleted scene, its gorgeous....

Cz6yOLR.png

Also, I believe it was filmed in the same location as the party in Eyes Wide Shut

Eyes-Wide-Shut-067.jpg

How did this scene fit with the rest of the film? What was happening? Why did it get deleted?
    did anyone else know that Sophie Macau filmed with the Aston Martin DB5? What happened to these scenes.......

twine_jaguar1.jpg

They ended up on the cutting room floor, Bond is seen driving to the funeral in the DB5.

A few scenes were cut that I wished would have been included. Bond pulling up to the funeral in the DB5, the oil field drive with Elektra and especially the additional dialogue between Bond and M in her office early in the film. Always wished they kept that exchange...

M: "Contrary to what you may believe , Double 0 Seven, the world is not populated by madmen who can hollow out volcanoes, fill them with big-breasted women, and threaten the world with nuclear annihilation"

Bond: "It only takes one"

This is on the DVD. I always liked this exchange, it's self-knowing and Brosnan delivers that line excellently. It just solidifies his relationship with M so well. Would have bought the house down.

I have always been intrigued by this deleted scene, its gorgeous....

Cz6yOLR.png

Also, I believe it was filmed in the same location as the party in Eyes Wide Shut

Eyes-Wide-Shut-067.jpg

How did this scene fit with the rest of the film? What was happening? Why did it get deleted?

I'm assuming it was Bond and Elektra's first kiss after her high hand card game with Zukovsky in the casino. It would have transitioned to her house in Baku, where Bond and Elektra are in bed.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,025
    The self-referential line by M was pretty clunky, which is why it ultimately got cut out. I don't even think Judi Dench was able to make that line work.
    I'm assuming it was Bond and Elektra's first kiss after her high hand card game with Zukovsky in the casino. It would have transitioned to her house in Baku, where Bond and Elektra are in bed.

I always felt one of the biggest mistakes of TWINE was not seeing the very crucial moment Bond actually breaks down and gives into Elektra's advances. All the way up to the casino scene, Bond is keeping his guard up with Elektra, but then the next time we see him he's suddenly in bed with her.

This is the first I've learned of there actually being such a scene that was shot, so I'm curious why they would cut it out at all. It's such a pivotal moment for Bond finally giving into the temptation.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The self-referential line by M was pretty clunky, which is why it ultimately got cut out. I don't even think Judi Dench was able to make that line work.

I always felt one of the biggest mistakes of TWINE was not seeing the very crucial moment Bond actually breaks down and gives into Elektra's advances. All the way up to the casino scene, Bond is keeping his guard up with Elektra, but then the next time we see him he's suddenly in bed with her.

This is the first I've learned of there actually being such a scene that was shot, so I'm curious why they would cut it out at all. It's such a pivotal moment for Bond finally giving into the temptation.

Great points. I'm not a fan of the self-referential moments (GE has quite a few, IIRC, and so does SF). They take me out of the film.
    No. TWINE sees Brosnan's weakest performance as Bond. Now I don't think TWINE is worse than DAD and I'm frankly astonished that some think it is. No Bond movie is as dire as DAD.
    Now, I'll just excuse myself before this thread morphs into a TWINE appreciation thread or TWINE hate thread. Whichever.

TWINE is much worse than DAD because its boring. All the Brosnan films are pretty awful but TWINE is bad and dull. DAD is terrible but also bonkers, which at least gives it a car crash, can't turn away quality.
    echo wrote: »

Great points. I'm not a fan of the self-referential moments (GE has quite a few, IIRC, and so does SF). They take me out of the film.

I’m fine with them when done just right. I like the bit in TB where Fiona basically mocks the trope of Bond turning a Bond girl to the good side “but not this one!”

I disagree. I enjoy those moment, they can be quite cheeky and show some degree of self-awareness. It's wrong to go too far in either direction though - i.e become too 'jokey' or overly solemn.

I don't think Bond would 'break' down. Plus, he and Electra have romantic chemistry by that point. You expect them to give in to each other.....

I disagree about that line though. I think the Dame nailed it's delivery.

Anyone seen this video? It's fascinating to see how little Leicester Square has not changed in over 20 years. Also the outfits! Christ, they are so bad. What was Brosnan thinking?

TWINE-Premiere-London-11-22-1999-02.jpg
    the-world-is-not-enough-film-premiere-london-britain-nov-1999-shutterstock-editorial-313844h.jpg
    TWINE-Premiere-London-11-22-1999-28.jpg
    That's the first time I've ever seen Denise Richards look unattractive.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

+1

What on earth is Brosnan wearing?

+1

What on earth is Brosnan wearing?

Looks like he borrowed Dalton's Rhett Butler costume from the Gone With the Wind sequel, Scarlett.

Maybe Denise Richards' makeup was the inspiration for Zao a couple years later.

Sophie Marceau must've stumbled out of bed and realized she had to attend a premiere.

Cigar Girl came in from the set of a Star Trek film or series and chose to keep the makeup on.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    This guy really nails it for me....I didn't want to like him or agree with him (O'm not down with these home-made Youtube film critics), but this guy does really entertaining and balanced reviewed. Very informed. Especially in a day when it's either the 'best thing ever' or the 'worst thing ever' (Welcome to 2020 on the internet).

Also, Denise Richards gets it in the neck in this review. I think its a bit unfair as two superhero female characters people quickly celebrate - Harley Quinn and Black Widow - are wholly unbelievable. I mean Margot Robbie is meant to be a brilliant psychologist and Scarlett Johannson a Russian spy. They look closer to pornstars. Is it that unbelievable that Denise Richards would be a scientist???

tenor.gif?itemid=7256322

But glad that TWINE is getting a critical reevaluation. It's deserved.
    Agreed on Richards. Her performance is not that bad, and she certainly doesn't ruin the character, considering it wasn't all that well written to begin with. At least she puts an attractive coating on it.

I disagree. I enjoy those moment, they can be quite cheeky and show some degree of self-awareness. It's wrong to go too far in either direction though - i.e become too 'jokey' or overly solemn.

I don't think Bond would 'break' down. Plus, he and Electra have romantic chemistry by that point. You expect them to give in to each other.....

I didn't see much chemistry. And like I mentioned, Bond was turning her advances down up to the casino scene, so to see them in bed next time just feels abrupt. It's almost as bad as the totally illogical set up of the Thames River chase.

Not good enough for the filmmakers, apparently.
    Agreed on Richards. Her performance is not that bad, and she certainly doesn't ruin the character, considering it wasn't all that well written to begin with. At least she puts an attractive coating on it.

I found this rather charming interview with Richards. She comes off as intelligent and informed, far from the air-head she is portrayed as in the media (at least 1999, I think Richards reputation in 2020 is very different).

She seems great. People (like the dude in this interview) are just so pervy on her and ask dumb questions which reflect badly when she gives dumb answers back .It's hardly her fault. People just saw her as a pretty face.

It's a shame that in many respects, the team behind TWINE may also have just seen Richards as a 'pretty face'. In 1999, Richards was stone cold babe, but they could and should have done more with Dr Jones.....

MV5BZTFmZDJmODUtNjZlYS00ODYwLTg4MGItYjlhNTM5MWQ3NzAwL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcxMTk4Mzc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

denise-richards-richards-denise-2d-evento-en-hollywood-life-california-evento-de-alfombra-roja-vertical-ee-uu-la-industria-cinematografica-celebridades-fotografia-bestof-arte-cultura-y-entretenimiento-topix-celebridades-lo-mejor-de-la-moda-la-vida-en-hollywood-evento-en-vida-en-hollywood-california-la-alfombra-roja-y-backstage-las-celebridades-del-cine-celebridades-de-la-television-la-musica-celebridades-topix-headshot-1993-a-1999-la-investigacion-tsuni-gamma-usa-com-tsuni-credito-ee-uu-vertical-una-persona-mp4f2x.jpg

denise-richards-552034l-576x0-w-3892c56e.jpg

K0gPZNd.jpg
    Is it me, or is the BMW Z8 such an iconic and cool car? It's seriously sexy. I'm surprised it doesn't get more plaudits.

latest?cb=20120913200537
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Is it me, or is the BMW Z8 such an iconic and cool car? It's seriously sexy. I'm surprised it doesn't get more plaudits.

latest?cb=20120913200537

It's a beautiful car, one that gets some decent screen time as well, shame it gets overlooked. It's up there with the DB5 and the Vanquish.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Anyone seen this video? It's fascinating to see how little Leicester Square has not changed in over 20 years. Also the outfits! Christ, they are so bad. What was Brosnan thinking?

TWINE-Premiere-London-11-22-1999-02.jpg
    the-world-is-not-enough-film-premiere-london-britain-nov-1999-shutterstock-editorial-313844h.jpg
    TWINE-Premiere-London-11-22-1999-28.jpg

Bit late on this, but Brosnan looks like he is trying to audition to be the next Doctor (strong 8th Doctor vibes to his choice of clothing).

I found this rather charming interview with Richards. She comes off as intelligent and informed, far from the air-head she is portrayed as in the media (at least 1999, I think Richards reputation in 2020 is very different).

She seems great. People (like the dude in this interview) are just so pervy on her and ask dumb questions which reflect badly when she gives dumb answers back .It's hardly her fault. People just saw her as a pretty face.

It's a shame that in many respects, the team behind TWINE may also have just seen Richards as a 'pretty face'. In 1999, Richards was stone cold babe, but they could and should have done more with Dr Jones.....

MV5BZTFmZDJmODUtNjZlYS00ODYwLTg4MGItYjlhNTM5MWQ3NzAwL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcxMTk4Mzc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

denise-richards-richards-denise-2d-evento-en-hollywood-life-california-evento-de-alfombra-roja-vertical-ee-uu-la-industria-cinematografica-celebridades-fotografia-bestof-arte-cultura-y-entretenimiento-topix-celebridades-lo-mejor-de-la-moda-la-vida-en-hollywood-evento-en-vida-en-hollywood-california-la-alfombra-roja-y-backstage-las-celebridades-del-cine-celebridades-de-la-television-la-musica-celebridades-topix-headshot-1993-a-1999-la-investigacion-tsuni-gamma-usa-com-tsuni-credito-ee-uu-vertical-una-persona-mp4f2x.jpg

denise-richards-552034l-576x0-w-3892c56e.jpg

K0gPZNd.jpg
    I've said it once and I'll say it again...I like Denise Richards in TWINE. Is she the best Bond girl ever? No. But I do think she gets an incredibly hard time given that her and Bond's relationship isn't the most important romantic relationship in the film (Bond and Elektra) and she isn't in the film that long. It will always annoy me when people say that Richards is the reason why the film is bad, when she is clearly doing what she can with the material she is given. There are far worse performances to pick on.
    I got around to re-watching TWINE in quarantine. I have to say it's a hugely entertaining film and perfect for self-isolation. I've recently been watching quite heady and complex arthouse films. So to settle in with a Bond film was a lot of fun.....this film has a terrific plot - a weathly heiress's kidnapper looking for revenge, only for it to turn out that she has turned to the dark side and has been pulling the strings all along. It's fabulous stuff with a delicious knotty psychology but still undeniably Bond.

IMG0047_WM_Gallery.jpg

I think my initial post about Brosnan giving the 'definitive performance' as Bond was a little OTT. But it's clear that Brosnan doesn't just coast on his charisma and roguish charm. Here Bond is meaner, more dour and showing signs of emotion. Brosnan seems more weathered with a stronger sense of maturity and confidence. He has sparkly eyes and is still tall, dark and mysterious. Though, in the interests of balance he feels wooden in the actions sequences.

007 this time has an appealing vulnerable side - not only a physical one in the form of a dislocated collar bone - but in a growing susceptibility to Elektra, who is more his match than any woman he's met. she outsmarts him psychologically. I also love the line: "I hate killing an unarmed man. Cold blooded murder is a filthy business." Said whilst screwing on a silencer. I admit to spinning back the film to hear that line again......😉

IMG0091_Carousel.jpg

I have to say though that the movie belongs to Sophie Marceau. You sense that you're on familiar 'Bond girl' territory during her opening scene. But the character comes to life soon after and she is nicely matched w/Pierce Brosnan. Every time they have a scene, I'd get goosebumps.

You can't help but feel enamoured and protective of what appears to be a sympathetic character. The skill that Marceau has is making the character seductive and Siren-like. She lures you in with her intoxicating, soulful and sensual demeanour. It's a sensitive and knotty performance; as you do consider something may be wrong, but she doesn't wink at the camera saying 'I'm the villain' (see Andrew Scott in SP). In fact, she even makes a compelling case why Bond has the wrong end of the stick in one scene when she looks to be ousted.

She's a proper slinky femme-fatale with complex motivations that are actually relatable. I mean, her father is willing t pay $5m for a stolen report and not to free his daughter from her kidnapper who is clearly raping her? I'd be pissed off by that alone. Furthermore, M let this happen and used her as bait to get to Renard? I'd want my revenge to.

Marceau gives Bond a real woman to deal with for once. Elektra wraps Bond, Renard and M around her little finger. In turn, for the character to 'work' and be convincing she has to seduce the audience - win our trust and be able to make us doubt ourselves - something Marceau does with such ease. She is also a very elegant, sophisticated European woman who is easy to fall in love with....it's difficult to resist her (and she knows it). Best Bond villain? I think so....

474A_JAMES_BOND_ARCHIVES_XL_00399_Gallery.jpg

Robert Carlyle is well cast as a reedy, rat-like terrorist. He looks genuinely scary, feral and actually capable of masterminding his schemes. He's quite vile especially considering he boasts about raping Elektra. He's a snivelling nasty-piece-of work.

Though I can't help but think that Carlyle doesn't get more to do....he also is seemingly poised to be a slightly more flamboyant villain. Mainly as he is positioned as 'a man with a grudge and nothing to lose' replete with a head injury that means he cannot feel pleasure or pain. But it's clear that Apted and Carlyle want to focus on the 'reality' of the character; which can make him a little dour. But he's interesting as he's essentially primed as the 'big bad' and we are told he may have manipulated Elektra to fall in love with him.

Soon after, we release that Renard is actually a cuckold and that Elektra is manipulating him......I genuinely don't think she loved Renard. she was merely using him, and he was too dumb to see it. It's quite cruel when she taunts his impotence and his faking of emotions, only then to bring him back. You can add gaslighting to Elektra's list of indiscretions. It's a scene that extenuates her cruelty and seductiveness.

IMG0053_Gallery.jpg

I have to say that the action grows murky and rather tiresome in the second half, with at least one set piece too many. Especially as the two action sequences in the middle of the film (the Russian weapons base and the buzzsaw chase) feeling very similar. But the real centrepiece of this film is the opening sequence which is a masterpiece in itself. I have to say that the real scene-stealer of the whole film is Maria Grazia Cucinotta firing a machine gun on a speedboat....

I think Apted bought real complexity to some of the characters, an interesting geo-political context whilst maintaining the Bond staples. He was able to adhere and subvert the formula whilst exploring new wrinkles. The tone is much more 'real world' albeit heightened; everything in the film is played with a straight face and it helps having proper actors like Judi Dench. But there is still an eversion to the franchise’s most adolescent tendencies (lame jokes and an unnecessary Denise Richards). Though I have a soft spot for this film as it was the first Bond I saw in cinemas when I was 9......so I'm a bit of a sucker for it for my own reasons.

Whilst there may be some attempt at psychological depth, this film wasn't designed to win prestigious awards. It's primarily terrific entertainment. It's more fun than I remembered.

I give it 5/5