New Zealand Govt sneak Internet crackdown laws out of Earthquake misery.

edited April 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 2,782
Found this - I'm just going to copy and paste it and credit the chap. How scary indeed? Govt out of people's misery yet again sneak in laws that curb our freedom to express ourselves. And the thing they want the most control of is the Web. At least the Chinese Govt is up front about it. Read this and be shocked.

This week, New Zealand's Parliament rushed in its controversial 3-strikes Internet disconnection law, using emergency procedures invoked to help victims of the Christchurch earthquake for cover. The law allows whole families to be disconnected from the Internet if someone using their Internet connection is accused -- without proof -- of three acts of copyright infringement. The NZ government and press say that this draconian law only goes into effect if infringement doesn't decline over the next two years. But the reality is that 3-strikes can go into effect as early as September, based on consultation solely with rightsholders, with no need for public consultation.

Juha sez, "Disconnections under the new copyright law in New Zealand can in fact be activated any time after September 1 when the Act comes into force. This would happen if the notice-and-notice regime where rights holders can take infringers to the Copyright Tribunal is deemed not to be working. IP lawyers I've talked to expect the regime to fail due to the sheer volume of notices and cases, as per overseas experience. The Copyright Tribunal will be staffed by five IP lawyers. At this stage, we don't know if the government will allow public consultation and submissions, should it decide to activate the Internet Termination Penalty in the new law. It's not mentioned in the new Copyright Act. The review after two years is to see if mobile data connections should be subject to the new copyright act as well."

The majority of us recommend the new section 122PA, which would effect what we believe a workable compromise on this issue. The bill's provisions allowing for Internet suspension would be retained, with modifications, but would not be brought into effect immediately. If evidence indicated that notices alone (and the remedy through the Copyright Tribunal) were not having the desired deterrent effect, the suspension provisions could be activated by Order in Council. The majority of us believe this approach would create the right incentives, with the remedy of suspension able to be brought into effect if needed. We would expect an appropriate timetable for monitoring and review to be developed in consultation with rights holders. We note that a similar approach was recently adopted in the United Kingdom.

Credit goes to Cory Doctorow and Joshua.

Comments

I live in NZ. No one had heard about it this time last week. No mention of stuff like public domain, Its two strikes and then a $15,000 (7,347.22 Pounds). The thing is it isn't clear what an illegal download is EG. a youtube downloader you paid for, DVD ripper, Something that can't be found any where else, owners consent. Using the emergency Christchurch is a very evil and wrong. I live in the north island but down their its a long hard winter and they just had a 5. something aftershock, oh well elections later this year..... ;-)
  • more aftershocks no way man...your part of the world is not having a good time at the mo. New Zealand looks like such a beautiful place.

Make your vote count and make your voice heard this sort of Govt slight of hand, especially when they use such a sensitive issue to get their way. It is wrong in so many different ways.

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited April 2011 Posts: 823
    I used to have Road Runner Time Warner Cable Internet Service. Buried in their user agreement, it says they can shut you off if they think you downloaded something copyrighted illegally. This was in 2008, I did a windows XP SP update on one of my desktop; the update was maybe 700MB or larger? Well the next day I went to get on the internet and when I opened my Firefox to my home page (yahoo mail), it redirected me to a Time Warner Cable Security Violation website saying I have violated the term of the user agreement by either downloading copyrighted material illegally and/or sending out viruses. Now mind you, it didn't matter which computer in the house I used, we just couldn't get on the internet. Then it gave me instructions to go to a Time Warner Website to run a bunch of time consuming scans of the computer and only when they were satisfied with the results of the scans, would they turn my internet back on. I called them and told them the only thing I downloaded the day before was the Windows XP SP file. I also told them it was part of my Windows OS automatic update but they didn't care; they kept repeating the same thing over and over from the script they were reading from : you have illegally downloaded copyrighted material and/or your computer has sent out viruses. A Full Anti Virus and SpyBot and AdWare scan of my 2 desktop computers and my wife's laptop, found NOTHING! Needless to say, I canceled the service with them that day and I told them to pretty much GO TO HELL. Now, after all this time, they still call me a couple of times a month trying to get me to go back to them and they even offered to give me their higher DL and UL speed for 1/2 price. I told them NO! Why would I go back to them when you are going to shut me off the first time I download something (like an Itunes song) or upload something (a family video of my kids)? I also told them they advertise Road Runner to be faster than DSL so you can download music and movies FASTER. But then they don't want their customers to DL anything. Wouldn't that be Deceptive Advertisement? Time Warner Cable sucks. I am on AT&T DSL now and it's gonna start to suck as of 5/2 because AT&T has decided to cap us at 150GB a month, DL and UL combined. Many people now have Netflix HD and streaming movies from it, which is 100% legal, will use up that 150GB a month faster. Also, in the new TOS for AT&T DSL as of 5/2, they also say they have the right to cancel your AT&T DSL and move you to AT&T Uverse Internet which costs more a month and requires you to purchase additional equipment and sign a 2 year contract with Early Termination Fee. SO pretty much they want to shove something you didn't ask for down your throat or go somewhere else - and there isn't much else here to go to aside from AT&T DSL and Road Runner Cable. They pretty much monopolized internet and tv service for the entire city!
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 128
    NZ Member of Parliament Melissa Lee has been caught breaching the copyright law. The day before she spoke in support of the bill she tweeted that a friend had given her a copy of a compilation of Korean pop music. Lee tried to defend herself by saying that her friend had paid for the downloaded music. That means she doesn't understand copyright law as it currently is, or seems to think its ok to break that law as long as you're only sharing stuff with your mates.

@Virage - the legislation relies on the copyright owner suing an alleged pirate in the Copyright Tribunal where they can get up to $15k in damages. You're not being fined - the govt's not going to be checking what you download. It's up to the copyright owner to pursue it, but now they have a quicker, less costly way compared to going before a court.

So stuff like public domain will be still be perfectly legal to download as ownership rights have expired or been relinquished, likewise if you have the owner's consent. If you paid for something you could argue that you believed it was a legal transaction. A DVD rip is already illegal unless you're copying something you've bought and the copy is for your personal use.

The new Christchurch CBD Plan has been unvailed, it was made with suggestions from the citizens.(sorry no photos) it will feature more green spaces mainly around the Avon river, A light railway, 7 story height restriction in the CBD, grassing cathedral squre and rebuilding the cathedral damaged in the 2nd and 3rd quakes.