What do you think? Is Daniel Craig in Skyfall close to Sean Connery's portrayal of the character?

2»

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    acoppola wrote:
    I agree. those three are uber manly. All hard and vicious too at times.

Cruel is the way Fleming described it, and all three of those actors could portray that side of Bond's nature quite well, I think.

Their faces do not lie. Brosnan and Moore were more considerate than cruel. In fact Dalton would enjoy watching his enemies die in front of him and once you crossed him, he had no concept of forgiveness or mercy as Bond.

Case in point, watch how he lets Killifer hang from the chains and uses the suitcase of money as the very thing that will make him fall to the shark. And he watches as he dies without any sense of remorse.

What about Milton Crest? A man who was loyal to Sanchez but Bond knew he witnessed what happened to Leiter. Dalton perversely with a calm face watches Crest's head explode and carries on like normal afterwards.

• acoppola wrote:
    Their faces do not lie.

Well, since they're actors, that's exactly what their faces are doing while they're acting. ;)
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    acoppola wrote:
    Their faces do not lie.

Well, since they're actors, that's exactly what their faces are doing while they're acting. ;)

Ah yes, but I mean the physically sculpted look of wear and tear. You cannot fake that. It is what it is.

Connery and Dalton have such rugged features that you could strike a match and it would light as the surface skin is tough looking.

All three are men who are highly confident of themselves and value truly what they have to offer.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Two actors, two styles, two great portrayals of Bond. Craig has his own thing, his own style. I find him closer to the books than Connery, he can display the contradictions of the character perfectly.
  • Sandy wrote:
    Two actors, two styles, two great portrayals of Bond. Craig has his own thing, his own style. I find him closer to the books than Connery, he can display the contradictions of the character perfectly.
    That's one of the things I really enjoy about his performances as well.

acoppola wrote:
    Case in point, watch how he lets Killifer hang from the chains and uses the suitcase of money as the very thing that will make him fall to the shark. And he watches as he dies without any sense of remorse.

That scene I could rewatch countless times. His face is so cold, his eyes unforgiving. It's disturbing and yet compelling and the subtlety with which it's played shows how well Dalton can exercise restraint.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I can't really add to what has already been said but yes, there are similarities but also differences as with all the actors who have played Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Both Connery and Craig are great and have really defined the role in their own way. They're the top 2 respective Bonds for me. However, there's just something...I dare say, magical about Connery, especially in his first 4 films and that's just something that can never ever be beaten.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    Craig is his own Bond. He is unique but I will add that he is the portrayal with the most natural machismo after Connery.
    I think Craig, Dalton, and Connery all brought a certain sort of "mannishness" to the role which really helps people see them as being James Bond.

That's how it should be seen IMHO, and I am a die hard "Sean will always be #1 fan" growing up with him as Bond. But I love the other two. There's a level of machismo with these three, the constant threat of imminent violence. And the ever present nods to Fleming. That's what made Bond both a literary and film hero, he's the ultimate anti-hero.

I love Sir Roger and only MR is a major letdown for me among his movies, but he's not an anti-hero. And Brosnan with his soft, lilting, Irish American accent just doesn't cut it either. His portrayal is not in keeping with Fleming and borders on caricature. You can take a guy that looks like Bond and put him in a tux, but that doesn't make him Bond without the acting chops behind it. Connery, Dalton, Craig, they have chops and that's why they work for me.
    Well Daniel Craig did great again. I enjoyed Skyfall today 22.11.2012. I hope to see again soon.
    Connery's films were made in a completley different era, who can say what kind of films and performance Connery would give if he were a young Bond it todays world?