Rat trap

edited November 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 2,782
By now I assume we've all seen skyfall....

I watched it again last night....something's in hindsight could have been better but the scene that still does it for me is the rat speech. I think it's the best bit of writing in a bond film for many a year. Does anyone know who actually wrote the speech? And is there a better bit of screen writing in bond history?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/918004-millions-of-rats-to-be-massacred-in-galapagos-islands-cull

Comments

• I agree, the rat speach was fantastic and arguably the best introduction to a Bond villain. It was the sort of speach usually reserved for a Fleming novel, not a movie.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Javier Bardem is said to have come up with that speech in order to add to his character.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Javier Bardem is said to have come up with that speech in order to add to his character.

Wow if that is the case, the boy did good!
    He also came up with his final lines of the film, from when he sees Bond's father's grave onwards.
  • Not just a talented actor then. Maybe he should write the script for Bond 24. ;)
  • Samuel001 wrote:

Wow if that is the case, the boy did good!

The rat speech is Logan's contribution. Mendes has said the set was built to cater the speech so Silva's speech lasted the entire walk. There are references to 'rats' throughout the film. Tanner says it early on when he and Bond go to the 'new digs' and by Bond at the end.
    I'm sure Bardem came up with that. Didn't Purvis and Wade mention that in the EW(?) podcast? Maybe not.
  • Whoever came up with it deserves massive kudos. I think the rat analogy worked perfectly, Bond and Silva each laid traps for the other and "last rat standing" was a brilliant quip. Got a lot of laughs at my theater. It felt very much like a speech a Fleming villain would have inspired.
  • his delivery was fab. in less than five mins hes created an unforgettable complex character. i just wish they had thought of something else for his dentures. too close to jaws or was that the point?
  • I think the teeth could've been a reference to Jaws.

Loved the rat speech, and Silva was great. Bardem was the best part of the film.