Daniel Craig's Bond is a most formidable Secret Agent.

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 15
He goes by the name Bond, James Bond.
The present incarnation of Bond in the 21st Century is a most formidable Secret Agent. Here are some reasons as to why I think so...

The present incarnation of Bond is set in a time when allies and enemies are indistinguishable. This could be a reflection of present times. Our hero appears to be far removed from his emotions and feelings so that he can be ahead of the villains he battles, in this case Quantum (from the recent film, 'Quantum of Solace' [QOS]).

Gone are those days when Bond could rely on the CIA and Felix Leiter. In 1989's 'Licence to Kill' movie, the comradery between Bond and Leiter was such that either would go out an arm and a leg to support each other. In this 1989 film Bond supports Leiter against the evil drugs baron, Sanchez. Contrastingly, in our latest Bond reboot, QOS, Felix [played by Jeffrey Wright] gives Bond a head start to escape the CIA, Felix has become nothing more than a silent supporter who edges a few prompts once in a while as a token gesture to Bond.

This indistinguishing trait between allies and enemies also extends towards the presence of Quantum who may appear in any legit organisation as spies. Quantum is not a publicist for sure, being a very hidden organisation, they promote their notoriety through their surreptitious infiltrations within Mi6 and perhaps in every other organisation. This concept is chilling as it is both dangerous and devastating to know that friends and foes are now practically indistinguishable.

Bond needs more than one ally in this mission and it appears that the Head of Mi6, M is the only ally Bond has got. Things have gone pretty tough for Mi6 and for Bond in recent storylines. Bond, now very much a loner, not knowing who to trust, is in a twisted world where corruption rules.

Bond in the 21st Century is all we have to hold on to in order to uphold the ideals of freedom for all. May Bond never fall, he is still our only hope in the spy genre... The only 'True Knight' of our on screen world in the 21st C.

Comments

• Quoting Neil_72: The present incarnation of Bond is set in a time when allies and enemies are
    indistinguishable
    Says who?
  • I loved that comment about License to Kill and an arm and a leg...quite literally!
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited April 2011 Posts: 348
    Quoting Neil_72:
    The present incarnation of Bond is set in a time when allies and enemies are indistinguishable. This could be a reflection of present times.
    They said that in the 70s. It was as credulous a statement then as it is now.
    Quoting Neil_72:
    Quantum may be a non exhibitionist
    That's because Quantum doesn't have any breasts worth exhibiting.
    Quoting Neil_72:
    May Bond never fall, he is still our only hope... The only 'True Knight' of our on screen world in the 21st C.
    James Bond is not Batman. The Dark Knight is not a great film. Chris Nolan, David Goyer and Paul Haggis are hacks.

Repeat those words.
    Uh, okay. ???
    Quoting Shark: The Dark Knight is not a great film.
    what makes you think this?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting Shark: The Dark Knight is not a great film. Chris Nolan, David Goyer and Paul Haggis are hacks.

Repeat those words.
    I think a few million people will disagree with you, Shark. ;;)
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 638
    What does The Dark Knight have to do with this conversation. Neil72 called Bond The only "true Knight" He did not say anything about THe Dark Knight
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 23,561
    Quoting jaguar007: What does The Dark Knight have to do with this conversation. Neil72 called Bond The only "true Knight" He did not say anything about THe Dark Knight
    Good call, jaguar!

Indeed, Bond is a knight, without the steel armour perhaps but a knight nonetheless. That was something I noticed as a young boy. A tux for a chain mail, an Aston Martin for a horse and a gun for a sword. Bond's the one who fights for queen and country and rescues the girl in the process. I'm not sure whether Fleming would have appreciated the analogy, but I truly think James Bond is a modern knight. Not a dark knight, a modern knight.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i think the whole indistinguishable villain comment is both true and false - there is obviously good people and bad people in this world.... but i think the part that rings true in that statement, is that the world isn't always so black and white, there is a lot of gray, and a lot of shades to that gray.....

but in Bond's world, it is (and should be) black and white - ie: in QOS, sure they portrayed the CIA as only caring about their interests (partly true lol) but also willing to assassinate an alley agent to get what they want - now, this wasn't the thought of the whole CIA, just one whack job - thankfully Felix was there to thwart Beam's efforts - and in the end, Beam is removed for his position and replaced by Felix, thus giving more credence to a black and white - good guy vs bad guy world, that 007 exists in..
  • Things were black and white in another era - say around the post-war period and the 60s when Bond was finding his mass audience. You could even make your villain look interesting and different every time. Now it's not so clear-cut anymore, and I think with the growth of media and communication that people are just more alert and aware of that. People are less easily fed by the MSM and more skeptical about what they hear and read. There'll always be a place for Bond because he still represents the possibility of taking down the villain - and doing it in style and with some great fun along the way. It's just that his audience is obviously different now than they were 40+ years ago and more worldly-wise about how yesterday's hero becomes today's villain, and vice versa. Think about it: the former head of the KGB is now that country's PM and espousing (crony) capitalism. My dad would never have believed it if he'd lived to see it!:) Daniel Craig? For me, he' just about the best current incarnation you could expect and represents the spirit of his generation and times, just as Connery did for his. I guess I also favor and respect Craig and Connery because aside from their interpretation of Bond they're each also standout dramatic actors.
    shorelife wrote: »
    Things were black and white in another era - say around the post-war period and the 60s when Bond was finding his mass audience. You could even make your villain look interesting and different every time. Now it's not so clear-cut anymore, and I think with the growth of media and communication that people are just more alert and aware of that. People are less easily fed by the MSM and more skeptical about what they hear and read. There'll always be a place for Bond because he still represents the possibility of taking down the villain - and doing it in style and with some great fun along the way. It's just that his audience is obviously different now than they were 40+ years ago and more worldly-wise about how yesterday's hero becomes today's villain, and vice versa. Think about it: the former head of the KGB is now that country's PM and espousing (crony) capitalism. My dad would never have believed it if he'd lived to see it!:) Daniel Craig? For me, he' just about the best current incarnation you could expect and represents the spirit of his generation and times, just as Connery did for his. I guess I also favor and respect Craig and Connery because aside from their interpretation of Bond they're each also standout dramatic actors.

Absolutely.
    What an odd thread .
    barryt007 wrote: »
    What an odd thread .

Quite :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
This discussion has been closed.