Bond On Blu-Ray: Aspect Issues

edited November 2012 in Merchandise Posts: 72
Hey folks,

So I was lucky enough to nab some the Bond 50 set on Blu-Ray when it first came out, but I've just now gotten the time to sit down and watch them. I've so far watched Dr. No, FRWL, and just started GF, but with each film I noticed that there are two skinny black bars on each side of the image. I'm wondering if I have a set that has a aspect ratio error. My TV is set to standard and I am playing these on my PS3. I'm baffled as to why this is happening and I don't want to select the "fill" aspect option as I then lose picture information on each side.

Maybe this is just how the films are and I have never noticed on the Ultimate DVD releases?

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 553
    Blu ray should always play in the original aspect ratio. Dr No, FRWL and Goldfinger were all framed at 1.66:1. This changed for Thunderball (hence the redone Gunbarrel). Our TV sets are around 1.78:1, the bars are, therefore, perfectly normal and you don't have a faulty set.

You didn't notice this with the DVDs, as they just expanded to fill the screen, the difference being so small that you wouldn't notice Bond bring a bit fatter
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    As Thepastykid said this is the right aspect ratio for those films, you'll also notice it on LALD and TMWTGG also shot in this ratio. Hurray to the filmmakers for giving us the films as they should be seen.
  • I thought those two were 1.78:1..i.e. Fit the screen perfectly?
    I thought those two were 1.78:1..i.e. Fit the screen perfectly?

Er, could be, I'd better go check. I did have LALD on blu-ray previously and must admit I don't recall the pillar boxing. Right that's a 'to-do' after breakfast!
  • It's that or 1.85:1 - whichever it is that's about perfect to fit the screen
  • Great! I can sleep easier. Thanks guys - appreciate all the feedback.
    It's that or 1.85:1 - whichever it is that's about perfect to fit the screen
    Just checked it out - fills the screen with just a sliver of letterboxing, not really noticeable.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    All your Blu-ray questions are best posted here in future:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1924/james-bond-on-blu-ray
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Question answered, good thing you can sleep easier now :)

<b>Closed</b>

This discussion has been closed.