BBC2 9.00pm tonight - 50 years of Bond cars...A Top Gear Special..

edited October 2012 in News Posts: 418
BBC2 11.20pm tonight - 12.45am - James Bond: A Bafta Tribute (repeat)

Michael Parkinson hosts a celebration of the Bond films from 2002, featuring four of the men who brought Ian Fleming's secret agent to life - Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan - while Sean Connery appears in a taped interview. The actors discuss thier various interpretations of the character, while many of the villains outwitted by 007 also put in an appearance. Other guests include John Cleese, Die Another Day co stars Halle Berry, Toby Stephens and Rosamund Pike, foes Richard Kiel and Christopher Lee and a bevy of Bond girls, while Shirley Bassey belts out her classic themes Goldfinger and Diamonds Are Forever...

Comments

Thanks Samuel001..
    Just sat down with the tv on and ready to watch! :-bd
    hammond largely slates the BMW era. i agree.
    Really enjoyed that Topgear special! Thought the Hamster did a great job. The carsub was fun and i too thought that BMW would get a negative review!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 136
    Great show! I was expecting it to be a little silly but surprisingly fannish and respectful with some little historical nuggets in there.

He's bang on about the BMW era. And the Esprit remains my fave.

Feel sorry for anyone who hasn't seen SF yet as they showed quite a big chunk of the PTS. Michael Wilson was on good form, quite a funny moment.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,894
    First TG episode i've watched in a while, Hammond wasn't annoying like he usualy is and it was enjoyable. Shame the OHMSS DBS didn't get look in, while the Z3 did.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Feel sorry for anyone who hasn't seen SF yet as they showed quite a big chunk of the PTS. Michael Wilson was on good form, quite a funny moment.

Practically the entire PTS wasn't it? Considering it's the biggest action sequence of the film that seemed a bit generous.

MGW had me totally hoodwinked with that arch. I thought he was going to say that they had to make sure the stunt bikes didn't touch the ancient brickwork - got me hook, line and sinker. He should get more than a cameo in the next film - what an actor!

The highlight for me was the TMWTGG spiral jump sequence shown from when they lose Scaramanga on the other side of the canal to when JW lands in the back seat. All the original soundtrack in place right up to the Evel Kneivel comment then when the car hits the ramp just total, glorious silence. Stunning.

Pretty humiliating for Guy Hamilton that the jobbing director of Top Gear can do a better a job.

Pretty good tribute although the OHMSS DBS omission was unforgivable.
    great show, closed my eyes when the skyfall footage came on screen. won't be able to see it until Friday due to work.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    All the DVD/Blu-Ray releases of TMWTGG should do what Top Gear did with the Bridge Jump stunt. It's so much better without that damn whistle.
    All the DVD/Blu-Ray releases of TMWTGG should do what Top Gear did with the Bridge Jump stunt. It's so much better without that damn whistle.

i thought the same thing when i watched it, the whistle really cheapens a quite brilliant stunt.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    James Bond a bafta tribute on now BBC 2
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
  • Great Top Gear special. Good job done.

i thought the same thing when i watched it, the whistle really cheapens a quite brilliant stunt.

Could not agree more! I braced for it and was somewhat shocked when i never heard it! That's my only gripe with the Moore films. They didn't need those type of cheap silly gags. Another is the Tarzan one in Octopussy! %-(
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,243
    I loved that Richard Hammond showed true understanding of the context of the Dalton era and even said it was a shame he only made two films. And Dalton's Aston Martin is my favourite Bond car and I preferred it's modern homage to Goldfinger and Bond's history.

But my only criticism is that George's OHMSS Aston should have been featured as it is very much part of Bond's heritage and far nicer than the salesman BMW's!:)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,782
    It made me quite emotional; all that history and all that love for Bond. Barry's tunes were so emotive. Loved it as a tribute. Simply loved it.

Sad that my fav OHMSS Aston wasn't included.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themalvernhills/2797111992/in/photostream/

http://www.ohmssdbs.com/events-gallery/event-gallery-004/
    Yeay was very surprised the OHMSS Aston was not featured?
    First TG episode i've watched in a while, Hammond wasn't annoying like he usualy is and it was enjoyable. Shame the OHMSS DBS didn't get look in, while the Z3 did.

Exactly. I didn't understand that at all. It's a nice car as well. And is the transition between GF/TB and TLD.
    acoppola wrote:
    I loved that Richard Hammond showed true understanding of the context of the Dalton era and even said it was a shame he only made two films. And Dalton's Aston Martin is my favourite Bond car and I preferred it's modern homage to Goldfinger and Bond's history.

But my only criticism is that George's OHMSS Aston should have been featured as it is very much part of Bond's heritage and far nicer than the salesman BMW's!:)

Seeing the TLD Aston made me a) appreciate how cool some of those 70s/80s Astons were and b) wish that they'd stop bringing back the DB5. They're really ruining the classic memory of it by trotting it out constantly. Let it retire and let's have some decent new cars. I liked the story about the Toyota in YOLT and how it was originally going to have gadgets too. I personally believe that if it's a car that Bond's getting though, it should be British. Jag, Bentley, Lotus, Aston. Any would do.
    Getafix wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

Seeing the TLD Aston made me a) appreciate how cool some of those 70s/80s Astons were and b) wish that they'd stop bringing back the DB5. They're really ruining the classic memory of it by trotting it out constantly. Let it retire and let's have some decent new cars. I liked the story about the Toyota in YOLT and how it was originally going to have gadgets too. I personally believe that if it's a car that Bond's getting though, it should be British. Jag, Bentley, Lotus, Aston. Any would do.

Absolutely @Getafix I said this on another thread here and got a minor bashing. When the DB5 was shown to audiences in 1964, it was state of the art. As well as the gadgets.

No offence to Pierce and Daniel, but when you get in Connery's car in a movie, to me you are acknowledging he is the best Bond. The producers should give the new Bond his own car.

Plus, it is too Robbie Williams in style after the Millenium video he did. To me anyway.

It is almost as if it is trying to say : "In case you did not realise, this is a James Bond film, because the changes are confusing at times!".:)

Nor do I appreciate the re-writing of the history as to how Bond acquired that car. I mean, most have seen Goldfinger and for a re-boot to do that is a major contradiction. I mean let's say a newcomer to Bond watches CR or Skyfall and then goes to watch Goldfinger for the first time.That is going to screw with their heads.

It is no different than paying a homage by making a new Bond actor wear one of Connery's suits. I say if you want to do that then you may as well digitally alter the actors face to look like Connery.

And yes, the TLD Aston was using the Goldfinger template with a modern car as well as gadgets. That was a beautiful homage and they got it perfect without taking you out of the film for a moment.

Homages need to be handled subtly without a mega wink at the audience. New Bond should always have his own car relevant to the technology of the time.

Yes, Christian Bale driving in the 1966 Batmobile in The Dark Knight.

Here is the link to the other thread http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4407/talk-here-about-sf-taking-from-other-franchises-if-you-think-it-does...-spoilers#Item_20

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    acoppola wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

Absolutely @Getafix I said this on another thread here and got a minor bashing. When the DB5 was shown to audiences in 1964, it was state of the art. As well as the gadgets.

No offence to Pierce and Daniel, but when you get in Connery's car in a movie, you automatically disqualify from equalling him as Bond. Because his image becomes uneraseable. It is too Robbie Williams in style after the Millenium video he did. To me anyway.

It is almost as if it is trying to say : "In case you did not realise, this is a James Bond film, because the changes are confusing at times!".:)

Nor do I appreciate the re-writing of the history as to how Bond acquired that car. I mean, most have seen Goldfinger and for a re-boot to do that is a major contradiction. I mean let's say a newcomer to Bond watches CR or Skyfall and then goes to watch Goldfinger for the first time.That is going to screw with their heads.

It is no different than paying a homage by making a new Bond actor wear one of Connery's suits. I say if you want to do that then you may as well digitally alter the actors face to look like Connery.

And yes, the TLD Aston was using the Goldfinger template with a modern car as well as gadgets. That was a beautiful homage and they got it perfect without taking you out of the film for a moment.

Homages need to be handled subtly without a mega wink at the audience. New Bond should always have his own car relevant to the technology of the time.

Here is the link to the other thread http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4407/talk-here-about-sf-taking-from-other-franchises-if-you-think-it-does...-spoilers#Item_20

Agree completely with both of you.

It was crap to bring it back in GE and TND, it was just about excuseable given the way it was written in CR but popping up in SF was fairly nonsensical.

I've heard people defend it saying it's Bonds personal car etc but where has this idea sprung from? There's scant evidence for it as far as I can see.

He had a DBS in OHMSS which seemed to be his personal car given the opening, Quaterdeck scenes and the fact he got married in it. Why not have the DB5 for these scenes if its his personal car? Why does this suddenly just pop up from nowhere in GE (conveniently when EON needed to announce Bond is Back in a big way after 6 years).

For all those who decry me for moaning about the gunbarrel being at the start there is nothing used more of a comfort blanket than the DB5 to erasure people they are watching a Bond film.

This is a vintage car and unable to compete in the modern age and it just looks stupid and almost a desperate attempt to hark back to the Connery days.

A final question - would people be happy for Bond to drive the original Bentley from the books? What's the difference except a few years?
    acoppola wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

No offence to Pierce and Daniel, but when you get in Connery's car in a movie, you automatically disqualify from equalling him as Bond. Because his image becomes uneraseable. It is too Robbie Williams in style after the Millenium video he did. To me anyway.

Agree completely with both of you.

It was crap to bring it back in GE and TND, it was just about excuseable given the way it was written in CR but popping up in SF was fairly nonsensical.

I've heard people defend it saying it's Bonds personal car etc but where has this idea sprung from? There's scant evidence for it as far as I can see.

He had a DBS in OHMSS which seemed to be his personal car given the opening, Quaterdeck scenes and the fact he got married in it. Why not have the DB5 for these scenes if its his personal car? Why does this suddenly just pop up from nowhere in GE (conveniently when EON needed to announce Bond is Back in a big way after 6 years).

For all those who decry me for moaning about the gunbarrel being at the start there is nothing used more of a comfort blanket than the DB5 to erasure people they are watching a Bond film.

This is a vintage car and unable to compete in the modern age and it just looks stupid and almost a desperate attempt to hark back to the Connery days.

A final question - would people be happy for Bond to drive the original Bentley from the books? What's the difference except a few years?

Glad you see it. In Goldeneye it looked tacky and I understood why they did it after 6 years. Plus it was a signal to the audience that the traditional Bond was back.

But in CR it made me cringe in the cinema. I hated the scene and how he acquired it.
    It was a reboot and a serious film. It makes no sense and takes you out of the film which goes against the idea of wiping the slate clean. Fresh start my aaaashhhhhhhh! as Sean would say!:)

But now to add the machine guns and other gadgets to the 1964 Aston in Skyfall is a mistep. It smacks of desperation to keep old fans happy whilst the audience who does not know Goldfinger are oblivious.

To some these touches may be minor. But to me they take the film out of it's own universe. And turn me off and ironically look back to the old films as the best. Those symbols are too powerful to ignore.

CR is slowly being reappraised by some fans and the more you watch it, the more it bothers you.

At least when Roger Moore was Bond, they avoided any associations with Connery. And it is a wise decision. Leave the Connery legacy alone and untarnished is my reasonable but too late request.

Giving a modern Bond a 1964 car is like giving Connery in 1964's Goldfinger a horse drawn carriage or the earliest automobile. That's how good it looks to answer your question.

I may be a Bond fan but I do not lap up everything like a submissive fool and try to justify the absurd.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    MGW does some fantastic acting @ 53mins
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 864
    Loved that whole bit where MGW tells Hammond it's the oldest arch in Istanbul. Classic stuff.
    acoppola wrote:
    At least when Roger Moore was Bond, they avoided any associations with Connery. And it is a wise decision. Leave the Connery legacy alone and untarnished is my reasonable but too late request.

Yeah, good thing Kincaid wasn't played by Connery, then. Opening line? "James Bond." Another line? "Welcome to Scotland!" Who else could they have been thinking of, I wonder?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thanks for the video @JamesPage, I was curious to watch it.
  • JamesPage wrote:
    MGW does some fantastic acting @ 53mins

Yeah, that was the funniest bit! Wilson on top form - fooled me!
  • In fact I'm gonna give this another spin right now - it's been one of the best Bond TV spin-offs...be nice if they had it on the disc release for SF!