BAFTA tribute to Sir Ken Adam

quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
edited April 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 279
I was lucky enough to attend this event at the Royal Institute of British Architects in London last night. It was great to see Sir Ken honoured in this way. And inevitably there was a distinctly "Bondian" vibe about the place. Things kicked off with a champagne reception (Tattinger being the tipple of choice for the evening) where I found myself standing next to the lovely Valerie Leon.
When we moved into the auditorium people just sat where they pleased apart from the first four rows which were reserved for EON and certain centre aisle seats where the evenings speakers were conveniently positioned - it was all very relaxed. Those waxing lyrical about the extraordinary achievements of Sir Ken included Lewis Gilbert (physically rather frail but very witty and charming), Michael G. Wilson, Peter Lamont and the original Bond Girl herself, Eunice Gayson who read out a typically amusing missive from Sir Roger Moore who was unable to attend due to injuring himself on set (not seriously, thankfully) a few weeks ago. (Michael Caine also sent his apologies.)
Also in attendance were fellow Bond Girls Shirley Eaton and Caroline Munro plus Barbara Broccoli, lyricist Don Black and David Arnold. (I think I spotted Monty Norman at a distance but I can't be sure.)
The tributes and anecdotes were interspersed with film clips of Sir Ken's stunning sets and recorded messages from friends and admirers unable to attend. All in all it was a wonderful evening, climaxing with Sir Ken being given a special BAFTA award. He is clearly a much loved human being as well as one of the greatest geniuses in the history of the cinema.
Afterwards I chatted to David Arnold for a few minutes. He was really nice and very down to earth. When I told him that I sincerely hoped he would be writing the title song for 'Bond 23' after the horror of 'Another Way To Die' he said he had no idea as yet as to what would be happening on that front and that he was currently very busy working on the music for the 2012 Olympics.
I then spoke to American film director Nicholas Meyer (who gave probably the wittiest speech of the evening), telling him how much I adored his masterpiece 'Time After Time'. I then went up to Barbara Broccoli. What an enchanting lady! I was knocked out by how warm and friendly she is. I gushed about what a fantastic job she and Michael are doing with the series now that Daniel is on board and told her that I was looking forward to 'Bond 23' like "the third coming" - which made her laugh. You'd never guess she was a high-powered movie producer. Oh and she's even prettier in the flesh than on TV!
Finally I spoke to the key speaker of the evening, Sir Christopher Frayling - who has written two books with Sir Ken and who I saw last year introducing Ennio Morricone at the Royal Albert Hall. Another really nice guy.
I'm so glad that I attended this very special event honouring a very special man. Happy 90th birthday, Sir Ken!

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Terrific report @quantumofsolace Thanks for posting.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Cheers, NicNac. I'm glad you like it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks for this @quantumofsolace. It's great to know so many attented the evening and a good time seemed to be had by all.

Did you get to ask Arnold at all if he's 100% scoring the next film? There seems to be some doubt around at the moment as to if he is of not. And who'd have known Broccoli would've been in Africa only two days later! I bet she didn't spill that. ;-)
    What an amazing experience qos. It sounded like a near Bond reunion.

I think Ken Adams' work for the series is fantastic. His contributions to the signature touch of Bond are up there with John Barry, Terence Young, and Maurice Binder
    QOS,thanks for this nice report. What a lucky person.
    Samuel: Well, I told Mr. A that I was really looking forward to his score for 'Bond 23' and he certainly didn't say anything to contradict my assumption. I guess we're all just automatically taking it for granted that he will. After CR and QOS I'll be delighted if he does.
    JBF626: It was a terrific night, alright. Oh and I'd add Peter Hunt's name to your list of 007 luminaries.
    Connery: Cheers. I definitely felt lucky. I mean, you look around in this intimate auditorium and there's Sir Ken Adam, Lewis Gilbert, Mike & Babs, Peter Lamont, David Arnold, Don Black... all of whom are every bit as much "stars" to me as any actors. Plus a bevy of Bond girls. I was in double-oh seventh heaven!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting quantumofsolace: Well, I told Mr. A that I was really looking forward to his score for 'Bond 23'
    and he certainly didn't say anything to contradict my assumption.
    OK, good to know, I can't see EON going elsewhere and once again look forward to see what the next Bond film's music is like.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    @quantumofsolace Sounds like a terrific evening, matey, and I'm most envious you managed actually to meet several Bond-related personnel. Great stuff, indeed... :)
    I think it helped not being an obvious fan-attracting affair, seemingly populated predominately with film industry types. Thus everyone appeared to be quite relaxed. And the fact that I didn't trouble anybody for an autograph/photo helped maintain an easy-going mood.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,596
    Nice report there sir!

Barbara B. is a lady I would be interested in meeting.

In terms of autographs, I never ask celebrities for them. I just enjoy talking to some of them. That's enough for me.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 40
    Bounine wrote:
    Nice report there sir!

Barbara B. is a lady I would be interested in meeting.

Oh i would enjoy Lady Broccoli and Lady Bach :)
    (both even u mean Barbara Broccoli or Barbara Bach)
    and i think it would be interesting too..
    But back to the topic.. i just watched the Dr.No Specials on the BluRay from the
    50years Ultimate Edition including Skyfall. I had all the Ultimate E - DVDs but i must
    say - wow. These BluRays are fully filled with extras every Bondian is happy about.
    I finish watched the 40-Minutes Making-of Dr.No and how the Project was realized by Broccoli and Saltzman, and i am very impressed of Ken Adams.
    I mean I knew all his sets, i watched every movie many times, but this Making-of truly expresses Ken Adams Talent in a such great way.

Besides, the restauration of these BluRays are the S***.. very very awesome.
    Like one man said in one of the Videos - it doesnt look like a sixties Movie
    anymore - it looks like a Movie placed in the sixties.

Please forgive me my poor english - am from switzerland..;)

Can't believe I did not see this thread before? Thank you though for sharing your visit with us all though. Sounded like a fantastic evening for a very well earned Bafta.