What weapon do they use in Moonraker????

edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 188
This is just me being geekily pernickety; but what is the type of energy weapon used in Moonraker exactly? Does Fleming describe them in the book? Do they fire; ray guns? Energy weapons? Laser blasters? Laser pistols? ????

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    lewisblake wrote:
    This is just me being geekily pernickety; but what is the type of energy weapon used in Moonraker exactly? Does Fleming describe them in the book? Do they fire; ray guns? Energy weapons? Laser blasters? Laser pistols? ????

Have you even read the book? There are a couple of subtle differences to the film - but dont worry the pigeon and the Bondola are still there.
  • I haven't read the book I'm afraid no, I'm a definate newcomer to the novels.
  • RC7RC7
    lewisblake wrote:

Have you even read the book? There are a couple of subtle differences to the film - but dont worry the pigeon and the Bondola are still there.

My favourite comment of the week by a mile. :))
  • The haunting way Fleming describes the pigeon's double take will stay with you for ever :-)
    lewisblake wrote:
    Generally they call it Sir Rog´s charme ;-).

"Have you even read the book? There are a couple of subtle differences to the film - but dont worry the pigeon and the Bondola are still there."

In that case I may read Moonraker now, hopefully you get to hear the Pigeon's internal monolouge?
  • I've read bits of the Moonraker novel, and am aware that it is significantly different from the film version. For one thing, Bond doesn't venture into outer space, but the novel wasn't in direct competition with Star Wars at the time Fleming wrote it :-L

It's relevant to this thead also, that in the film version, Bond doesn't even carry a firearm at any stage, not even a Walther, but is dependant on Q branch gadgets such as cyanide tipped darts to take out opponents and save himself. Moonraker is one damn fine Bond release, but every time you watch, you can't help but notice - "Why isn't Bond carrying his trademark gun or any gun come to think of it"

It's not a major complaint and you soon forget it amid all the action but the more I think about it now, I don't know why they felt the need to leave out Bond having a firearm at his disposal. It was the only time in the franchise also if you'll remember

You can't have James Bond 007 going on a mission without a gun ?
    I literally have stitches guys, good stuff.

But seriously, the book is based just after World War II, likely late 1950's, and Hugo Drax has just built the first ballistic nuclear missile for England. When one of the guards is suspiciously murdered, and Drax is suspected of gambling fraud, 007 is sent in to investigate. Bond never even leaves the Kingdom!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yes it's become a habit lately to start new threads for every simple question that pops into our minds. Closed.
This discussion has been closed.