Christian Bale. Should he have played Bond?

edited April 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,813
Title says it all-
There was a time when it looked like Christian Bale was a serious contender for either James Bond or Batman. Obviously he ended up playing Batman; it seems to be the trendy thing nowadays to bash Bale and his Batman voice (I love him though). So in retrospect, should Bale have played Bond? I think he would have made an outstanding Bond myself- but I would certainly miss Craig. What are your thoughts?

BTW it's funny- looking at that other Henry Cavill thread.... both Batman and Superman have been up for Bond at some point.

Comments

• edited April 2011 Posts: 638
    I don't think Bale has ever been a serious contender for Bond apart from the media and fanboys mentioning his name. As far as I know he has never spoke with Danjaq/EON. He would have been too young when Brosnan took the role and he was already cast as Batman when Craig got the role.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 161
    While I'm a fan of his and think that he would have been a great choice after Brosnan's departure, I don't think EON couldn't have done any better than Daniel Craig. He is perfect for Bond.
    I'm glad that we ended up with Daniel Craig in the part because I really can't imagine anyone doing it better than he's done with his two films. I really don't see Christian Bale pulling off the character all that well. I think he would have come across as rather wooden in his performances, just like I find him to be as Batman/Bruce Wayne as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    At the risk of jumping on the 'trendy bus', i'm glad that Bale didn't get the role of Bond. I don't like him as Batman, and I can only suspect that I wouldn't have liked him as Bond.

Though if they did cast Bale, I can't imagine having The Incredible Hulk from Bale's Bond.
  • I like Bale as an actor, but I would not want him to be a Bond!
    BTW does anyone have an accurate list of Bond contenders from this time period? I'm curious to see who was in the running- Bale, Clive Owen and Henry Cavill are the only ones I've heard.

I heard Hugh Jackman too but didn't know how true it was...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I think that's about it @Master_Dahark.

The important thing to remember though is Craig was the only actor EON offered Bond to and, luckily for us, he accepted. As he said at the time, "how often does something like this come up in an actor's life?". Who knows who the second choice was or if EON even really had one. Wilson said at the time it "was always Daniel".
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 638
    Quoting Master_Dahark: BTW does anyone have an accurate list of Bond contenders from this time period? I'm curious to see who was in the running- Bale, Clive Owen and Henry Cavill are the only ones I've heard.

I heard Hugh Jackman too but didn't know how true it was...
    Apart from Cavill, they are all media rumors and apparently Owen and Jackman have publicly confirmed they were never approached by EON.

THe only people to have been confirmed and screen tested were Craig, Cavhill, Sam Worthington and Goran Visnjic.

Alex O'Lachlan and Ewan Stewart were also rumored to have screentested but I don't think they were ever confirmed.

No, his Batman is bad enough. lol.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    @008, you'll need to chance your avatar as it's EON/MGM copyright material. Sorry about that!
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 26
    Yes. He is a great Batman (the very best live action rendition of the Dark Knight, though with the other contenders that ain't saying much) and I am sure he could have made a great Bond. He would have been a safer choice than Craig at least, though I did warm up to the 6th Bond after Quantum of Solace.
    Quoting Icebreaker: He is a great Batman (the very best live action rendition of the Dark Knight, though with the other contenders that ain't saying much)
    NOBODY will top ADAM WEST!!!
  • method acting bond - now that would have been interesting. I agree with one of the members here, he would make a great Bruce Banner/Hulk and a great fish and chip shop owner.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Quoting Master_Dahark: BTW does anyone have an accurate list of Bond contenders from this time period? I'm curious to see who was in the running- Bale, Clive Owen and Henry Cavill are the only ones I've heard.
    Try looking through this @Master_Dahark. It's news articles compiled during the search for a new Bond.
    No he shouldnt have played Bond,unless you want Bond to have a lisp.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting jaguar007: Ewan Stewart
    While I love him as an actor, he was way, way too old. He was already in his 50's by 2006 !
    I would stop watching Bond if Bale became the lead. I think he is a good actor in doses but his method thing turns me off. He needs to lighten up before he explodes. Which is what he did in his infamous rant on the set of Terminator Salvation. He's too serious to be Bond and doesn't fit the character AT ALL. So no Bale please. Ever. And no Owen. Love him but it isn't right for Bond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think that the infamous rant is sufficient for the Prods to drop any idea of employing him.
    Had he ever been cast in the first place, well he may have done a decent job, but I doubt he would have committed to more than 2.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting barryt007: No he shouldnt have played Bond,unless you want Bond to have a lisp.
    Man's got a point. And @NicNac, must say, think you hit it on the nose...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Quoting The_Reaper: And no Owen. Love him but it isn't right for Bond.

Quoting DaltonCraig007:
    Quoting jaguar007: Ewan Stewart

While I love him as an actor, he was way, way too old. He was already in his 50's by 2006 !
    It was reported in 2005 that he had screentested, but many people doubted it because of his age and that was one name that was never actually confirmed.
  • Imagine if Bale was cast for both - turns up to Bond wearing his underpants over his tuxedo and a gun holster over his bat-wear :">
    I reckon that Craig is doing a good job at present and hope that a decent script is in order for Bond #23 (and that the dreaded QOS editor has been given a one way ticket to outer Mongolia).
    I think he would have been wonderful. The whole time I was watching Batman Begins when it first came out was "Too bad he's in this...He's make a great Bond!" and I haven't changed my tune yet.

Doesn't hurt that he's pretty easy on the eyes....
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Quoting jaguar007: NOBODY will top ADAM WEST!!!
    Ironically enough wasnt Adam West in the running for Bond as well in the 70s'? After Lazenby or after Sean went after DAFI think. You have to love the Batman series of that era just for the nostalgia but as Bond I would be surprised if he could have pulled it off.
    Yeah, he's a good looking fellow, and I'm sure he would make a great Bond, but he's not under the radar enough now the way Craig was before he took on the role. I think this is imperative to play Bond, to be only relatively known so that your past performances don't color the audiences perception of your Bond. Personally between Craig and Bale, I think I would still take Craig. I find he has and extra toughness that Bale lacks in comparison
    Wow I never even thought of this! Sure, he would make a top notch Bond. But the audience would be thinking "Bruce Wayne / Batman" the whole time. But I've loved Bale since Empire of the Sun in 1985. Great actor, when he wants to be.
    Bale is a terrific actor, but he seems to get used in strange ways. I don´t blame him for T4 and his Batman performances, he just would have needed better direction and better material.
    That said, noone would be better than Craig at the moment.
    Quoting boldfinger: That said, noone would be better than Craig at the moment.
    Amen
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    NO!
    Just to clarify- when I started this topic- I had meant if he WASN'T already playing Batman. I feel he would have been a great Bond had things worked out differently (love Craig though)