MULTIPLEX CINEMA! Will they still be popular?

edited October 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 12,506
Having worked in a Cinema chain for a period of time, albeit a number of years ago now. Do you think that we will have as many of them as we do now? In say 10 years time?

With technology moving so fast now? I am beginning to wonder? My thinking was after a chat to a friend of mine who is being made redundant sadly as a projectionist. Seeing as there is pay per view tv, sport, and MOVIES! Will there come a time when the movie studio's bypass the cinema's altogether, and just beam directly into your home like SKY Movies Box Office does. So theoretically you buy your ticket through your tv subscription? Now that it is so expensive to go watch a film these days? I think that this may well happen?

How about you? Would love to hear your thoughts and feelings on this?

Comments

• I don't think you can beat the big screen. I would love an opportunity to watch some of Connery's/Moore's flicks in the cinema. The cheers that followed TSWLM's PTS is famous the world over. I would love to experience that (and I hope Skyfall provides such a moment). Without cinema, we lose some of the romance with movies. Nothing beats the cinema experience. I serious hope this doesn't fall to the wayside in the march to 'progress'
  • Cinema will always be around. In the fifties people though TV would be the death of cinema, in the eighties it was home video and now it is pay per view. Yet films are still making more money than ever. Cinema isn't going anywhere.