Defending 007: Discussions about our favorite secret agents

edited October 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 816
On this forum there's always a lot of discussion going on about James Bond. We can collectively b*tch about 007 Legends, or be full of praise for Sam Mendes, or our opinions can be varied, like on David Arnold.

But we all love James Bond, and are just concerned with his future! However, there's a whole world out there of people that don't much care or even hate Mr. Bond (sometimes with good reason, sometimes just because)
I find myself jumping to 007's defence whenever a situation comes where someone is against him. Just a couple of weeks ago I had to inform someone that Daniel Craig can indeed drive shift! (God, how that nasty rumour stuck around!) and today someone called 007 a money cow, suggesting that the only reason he was still around was so they could make money of him (I believe the opposite is the case: because he's still around, still popular, they can make money off him!)

What I wanted to discuss where are 2 things: Do you defence Mr. Bond against the 'outside world', and how do you do that. What kind of cases come up, what are the arguments you give, ect.

This can also be an interesting place to shape our arguments together, so we can convince more people that 007 does indeed deserve his place under the sun!

Comments

• Interesting thread idea.

When people criticise Craig and his films (and yes, Non Bond fans do frequently) I can't really defend them or him because I agree with there points. For them, James Bond is exclusively the Connery and Moore years. I always argue for every QOS, theres a DAF and that with every new film, theres a hope to return to the classic films of Connery and Moore.

It's amazing though how many non Bond fans have immense respect for Connery and Moore and don't have any criticism
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Not sure what's the best category for this, but it's not News. Moved to General Discussion.

Interesting topic though!
  • RC7RC7
    Interesting thread idea.

When people criticise Craig and his films (and yes, Non Bond fans do frequently) I can't really defend them or him because I agree with there points. For them, James Bond is exclusively the Connery and Moore years. I always argue for every QOS, theres a DAF and that with every new film, theres a hope to return to the classic films of Connery and Moore.

It's amazing though how many non Bond fans have immense respect for Connery and Moore and don't have any criticism

By the same score, there are a load of people who hated Bond until Craig came along. One of my best friends used to wind me up about how sh*t Bond is but conceded the new films have changed his mind on the character.

• @Disco, Yeah, sorry. Forgot to change the category.

@RC7, some of my friends also refuse/ are not interested in watching anything 007 that doesn't have Craig in it. Sat them down to watch Goldfinger and LALD on Bond day, and they loved them. Thought I had turned them, but still can't get them to watch the other ones. Weird....

'older' non-fans indeed seem to have great love for either Connery or Moore, and newer either love Brosnan or Craig (if they like 007 at all, but that's what we're discussing)
    Dalton and Lazenby just don't seem to exist under non-fans. (a friend of mine said a while ago 'Hey, wasn't there this one guy that only did one Bond, and wasn't really Bond. Weird...' Don't know what to make of that statement.
  • I know young people (well teens at the time we were) who having seen CR and QOS after a Bondathon stated there preference for MR and AVTAK...horses for courses I guess

The lack of knowledge and appreciation for Timothy Dalton in the wider community is scary and is something I actively battle
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I always defend Timothy Dalton and say he was the best Bond whenever I'm talking about it with my mates.
  • I also defend Dalton whenever I can, and have convinced one friend that he is indeed the best Bond!

How about Bond in general? I sometimes find myself defending elements of Bond I might be negative about on these pages, just because I feel the need to convince people that 007 is indeed awesome!
  • The music...definetly the music. People say it's cheesy and cliched. Does Bond music reach the masses though? With the exception of LALD and maybe, just maybe, TSWLM and CR, I think the Bond music is a closed shop for Bond fans only. Mind you, DAF got a big boost because of Kanye West.

No, the music gets attacked constantly
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I fight a constant battle to protect and defend QoS for the good film it is. It may not be CR #2, but it wasn't supposed to be! There are great emotional performances, wonderful cinematography, and the TOSCA scene and Bond's meeting with Yusef at the end are among the franchise's best.