Producers "sorry" they killed off Gemma Arterton's character?

edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2
http://www.hollywood.com/news/Bond_bosses_regret_killing_Gemma_Artertons_Strawberry_Fields/41714208

Huh? I think this may have been a nicety made in passing from BarBro to the actress.

If the producers want to have some continuance and the ability to "go back to Fleming" when they need solid material, killing off Rene Mathis was a much larger offense. IMO.

Comments

Yeah, I think Babs was just being nice. ;)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Big deal. Maud Adams and Joe Don Baker were killed off, but they rebounded.
    Kerim wrote:

Even if she does come back she won't be in that coat again :(
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

I didn't like that coat. It looked terrible.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    001 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

I didn't like that coat. It looked terrible.

I didn't like that coat, or the wig. She's a pretty girl, and looked much better in St Trinians and some other things i've seen her in. If she does a Maud Adams, i hope they give her a better look next time..
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    They should regret doing that stupid GF reference, it's too in your face, like Jinx coming out of the sea in DAD.

Didn't care about Fields. She looked hot, Bond shagged her, she died, just like 80% of the Bond girls. There was nothing that made her stand out or that made me think they should bring her back.

It's been said already, but killing Mathis was a much bigger mistake.
  • Fields was painfully out of place in a movie that was trying to be a more realistic Bond film. That M would send a pretty young girl to bring Bond back is absolutely ludicrous, and the fact that Arterton goes for a ridiculously arch performance more suited to 'Allo 'Allo just makes it worse.
  • Fields should have been Moneypenny-- and lived.
    Fields was the only fun person in the debacle called Quantum of Bourne.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I agree with this. Mathis had so much to offer and he reminds me of the caliber of allies in which you'd find Kerim Bey and Draco. In fact, I'd rather have seen more of Mathis than I would Felix.

• DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    doubleoego wrote:

I agree with this. Mathis had so much to offer and he reminds me of the caliber of allies in which you'd find Kerim Bey and Draco. In fact, I'd rather have seen more of Mathis than I would Felix.

I greatly agree and completely understand what you're saying. Mathis's presence brought a warmth to the screen, I really enjoyed him working together with Bond and chatting with Bond. Just like DoubleOEgo said, Mathis's presence was very enjoyable and did remind me of the past relationships Bond shared with others such as Kerim Bay , Sharky, Draco etc...
  • Arterton was on screen for such a short time it's easy to overlook her contribution to the mess that was Quantum of Solace completely. It's been discussed to death, but once again, why did they have to do a Goldfinger acknowledgement, especially to such a minor and I feel, trivial, character as Fields ?. It wasn't even an anniversary release, they thought they'd include it again for the first time since the original (and what should be only) time, and it was, all said, wrong place and wrong time. And instead of Gold paint, that time it was Oil suffocation. You have to believe it won't be the last time we see this either, sooner or later there will be a third attempt and you can only imagine what substance will be used for that..

I would of liked to have seen Fields survive and make another appearance, but it seems she was merely an expendable piece that year. I wouldn't have necessarily killed her off. One of the most instantly forgettable Bond characters of Bond history some will say and hard to argue, Goldfinger nonsense or not. Although I did find her a little annoying, but maybe could of been a decent character with potential, and she was only on screen for a very short time
  • It's been discussed to death, but once again, why did they have to do a Goldfinger acknowledgement, especially to such a minor and I feel, trivial, character as Fields ?.

For the record, Jill would have been arguably just as trivial: had she not been painted gold.
  • They had about the same screen time though, although I don't watch Goldfinger much. If you're going to do such an elaborate and memorable death scene at least have it with a more substantial screen character is all I'll add. It would of been better if Fields had been discovered, in a er, field, maybe ? Or, how about Eaton had perished after being force fed, like one of the characters from Fincher's Se7en, I.e. she had 'eaton' too much..

Just an idea
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    You have to believe it won't be the last time we see this either, sooner or later there will be a third attempt and you can only imagine what substance will be used for that..

I'm thinking peanut butter.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    This really is a non discussion for me.

Does anyone lament the fact that we never got to see Paula or Manuela return and they got about the same screen time?

Fields is just the classic get shagged and then killed Bond girl who doesn't affect the plot in any tangible way.

Just don't understand why people are even suggesting she should return.
  • This really is a non discussion for me.

Does anyone lament the fact that we never got to see Paula or Manuela return and they got about the same screen time?

Fields is just the classic get shagged and then killed Bond girl who doesn't affect the plot in any tangible way.

Just don't understand why people are even suggesting she should return.

Probably hot for her I would guess. Where's FieldsMan when you need him?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Actually, Fields is the one who warns Bond in the first place, and her death sparks the hunts for him that make M question him and his duties, so she had a lot of affect on the plot. But I don't expect QoS haters to go out of their way to find good things to say about this good film.
  • Actually, Fields is the one who warns Bond in the first place, and her death sparks the hunts for him that make M question him and his duties, so she had a lot of affect on the plot. But I don't expect QoS haters to go out of their way to find good things to say about this good film.

She's still a hot, but average Bond girl that was no better than most of them and had no reason to be bought back.

I think this was just something Barbara Broccoli said because she bumped into her "oh hi, haven't seen you in a while! Shame we killed you off"