My step by step year by year plan for the Bond franchise post-Skyfall

edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 188
What I'd love for the future of Bond step by step, year by year (assuming prospectively the process of making a Bond film takes 2-3 years) =

1) 2014; Daniel Craig does another Bond film with Sam Mendes, at the same level as Skyfall.
2) 2017; Craig does his 'last' Bond film, with Christopher Nolan taking over the helm for the film.
3) 2019 - 2021; Nolan completes a 'trilogy' of Bond films (NOT like his Dark Knight trilogy i.e. no origins etc - just a trilogy i.e. 3 films in a row), with Tom Hardy as Bond for the final 2 films - also featuring a return of Blofeld but re-imagined, as Nolan did with the Joker.
4) 2023; Nolan has departed the franchise and Daniel Craig returns whilst the popularity of Bond is riding high after the Nolan-treatment. Craig does an unprecedented 'final'-final Bond film as an older Bond (like Connery did).
5) 2024 onwards; Henry Cavill takes over as Bond (now at the age of 40/41 I believe). And his first film goes head to head with Quentin Tarantino's rival spy film starring Michael Fassbender in the lead role.

What you guys think?

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 61
    Not sure about the DC comeback - would BB and MW think back to what their predecesors had to deal with after OHMSS and paying Connery? would DC want to come back?

Also - while Nolan is a great Bond fan would he want to do three films in a 6 year period? Directing is not just about 90-120 days filiming, massive investment of time required from the director both before and after. Would a 'name' like Nolan be prepared to invest that in such an established franchise after having already done it with Batman?

I wonder if in mid-2020s we see a changing of the guard and BB and MW let a new producer generation in - name the Wilson sons?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 6,677
    No. I Hate Tom Hardy. Christopher Nolan will never tackle a Bond film after Mendes, too much comparisons will have been made by then. DC would never comeback. Henry Cavill will be too much attached to the Superman role.

It will all be as unpredictable as DC having made CR.

Good thread, nonetheless. Cheers.
  • Tom Hardy could make a good Bond but it definetly won't happen now, he's in Mad Max 4 and chances are there will be more sequels.

I'd like a Nolan Bond film and it could happen in the future.

I don't think they'll ever bring back an actor again.

I want Scott Adkins to take over when Craig leaves.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,548
    YES to Tom Hardy or Henry Cavill (assuming Man of Steel is a success!) Whoever is next cast, Chris Nolan would be incredible if it could somehow happen, and if Sam Mendes doens't want to return for the next film or one after.
  • RC7RC7
    Tom Hardy will never be cast as Bond.

As for Nolan, unless his star wanes and he steps in when he's in his mid-50's it's, IMO, never going to happen. Even in those circumstances it would be a stretch. The producers never hire mega-star directors for one simple reason. No one is bigger than Bond. Nolan is currently the Golden Boy of Hollywood, he's too big a persona to be handed the reigns. Yes he'd have a good crack but it would be all about 'The Nolan Bond film'. Mendes is perfect in that he is a quality director but not someone synonymous with blockbusters and thus doesn't come with any baggage.

Bond films are very much a collaborative affair. History proves this. Spielberg and Tarantino are just a few in a long list of top name directors who didn't even get a sniff.
    No to Nolan, Hardy, Cavill and Craig's comeback

Nolan would mean calling his triology or whatever like Nolan's Bond, and I don't want that. Bond should be remembered as a whole not by parts, like Young's Bond, Hamilton's Bond, Glen's Bond, Campbell's Bond,...

Hardy and Cavill are too well known for the role, it's better to pick an upcoming star not someone who is already stablished and probably related to a role- Cavill=Superman way of thinking.

And Craig would be 55 in 2023, quite too old for his mainly physical Bond. It's not like Moore's funny Bond, who already felt old with 58. Moore's Bond wasn't this strong, this action loving and so on.
    After Craig (2 more), personaly, I´d want another 6/7 years hiatus, then a comeback to form with an unknown actor and Martin Campbell again or Sam Mendes.
    lewisblake wrote:
    What I'd love for the future of Bond step by step, year by year (assuming prospectively the process of making a Bond film takes 2-3 years) =

1) 2014; Daniel Craig does another Bond film with Sam Mendes, at the same level as Skyfall.
    2) 2017; Craig does his 'last' Bond film, with Christopher Nolan taking over the helm for the film.
    3) 2019 - 2021; Nolan completes a 'trilogy' of Bond films (NOT like his Dark Knight trilogy i.e. no origins etc - just a trilogy i.e. 3 films in a row), with Tom Hardy as Bond for the final 2 films - also featuring a return of Blofeld but re-imagined, as Nolan did with the Joker.
    4) 2023; Nolan has departed the franchise and Daniel Craig returns whilst the popularity of Bond is riding high after the Nolan-treatment. Craig does an unprecedented 'final'-final Bond film as an older Bond (like Connery did).
    5) 2024 onwards; Henry Cavill takes over as Bond (now at the age of 40/41 I believe). And his first film goes head to head with Quentin Tarantino's rival spy film starring Michael Fassbender in the lead role.

What you guys think?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote:
    Tom Hardy will never be cast as Bond.

As for Nolan, unless his star wanes and he steps in when he's in his mid-50's it's, IMO, never going to happen. Even in those circumstances it would be a stretch. The producers never hire mega-star directors for one simple reason. No one is bigger than Bond. Nolan is currently the Golden Boy of Hollywood, he's too big a persona to be handed the reigns. Yes he'd have a good crack but it would be all about 'The Nolan Bond film'. Mendes is perfect in that he is a quality director but not someone synonymous with blockbusters and thus doesn't come with any baggage.

Bond films are very much a collaborative affair. History proves this. Spielberg and Tarantino are just a few in a long list of top name directors who didn't even get a sniff.

Thank you!

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

• DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    Hmm Lewis Blake, I see you're idea as a decent somewhat milked-for-money marketing pitch, but I do not want Christopher Nolan touching Bond. There are many better routes to go. Seeing Daniel Craig leave the role will definitely sadden me, but I hope Craig continues the role for the right motives and beliefs, just as he is of course. But rather not for the money and big paycheck like Connery did at the end of his tenure. I see Nolan somewhat mainstreaming Bond to a specific nitched and cliche'd series that somewhat destroys all originality seen through the choosing of a new directior film after film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 23,551
    If Man Of Steel buys Cavill an entire career, I doubt he will be Bond in 2024. Also, he'll be 43 by then. Perhaps a few years, just a few years too old?
    Dan Craig would look a lot more convincing in the role at the same age as Connery and Moore in their final films and in Connery's case I'm referring to non-canon NSNA.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    A good choice for a director that could actually happen is Edgar Wright.

He's done mostly comedies but Hot Fuzz had some really good action scenes and Shaun Of The Dead was actually kind of sad and emotional in some bits.
    Univex wrote:
    After Craig (2 more), personaly, I´d want another 6/7 years hiatus, then a comeback to form with an unknown actor and Martin Campbell again or Sam Mendes.

Martin Campbell or Mendes coming back fine, but another hiatus? I think we've had way too many of those over the last 25 years.
    0iker0 wrote:
    Hardy and Cavill are too well known for the role, it's better to pick an upcoming star not someone who is already stablished

Yeah, like <a href="http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=scott+adkins+assassination+games&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&rlz=1I7ACAW_enGB406&tbm=isch&tbnid=NGwsZzyxMwQWvM:&imgrefurl=http://www.beyondhollywood.com/assassination-games-2011-movie-review/scott-adkins-in-assassination-games-2/&docid=JXefTBTCZTLKyM&imgurl=http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2011/08/Scott-Adkins-in-Assassination-Games.jpg&w=940&h=577&ei=aQ57UNCbCeHG0QXgsoD4BA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=343&vpy=158&dur=6028&hovh=176&hovw=287&tx=182&ty=100&sig=113874652846532833897&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=223&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:72&biw=1366&bih=627">; Scott Adkins </a>

Wow, that text link thingy actually worked. I'm quite proud of myself now.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Dan Craig would look a lot more convincing in the role at the same age as Connery and Moore in their final films and in Connery's case I'm referring to non-canon NSNA.

Connery looked better (and just all round was better) in NSNA than in DAF imo.
  • I suddenly had a thought earlier; how about Danny Boyle directing a Bond film?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,444
    M_Balje wrote:
    In my Bond 25 end it take 5 years before we get Bond 26 in 2022 with Bond 7, with keeping in mind Bond 25 be Daniel Craig his fift and last Bond movie. If he deside to make a 6th movie then that wil be Bond 26 in 2019 and new Bond actor starts with Bond 27 in 2022.

In 2022 it is 60 Years James Bond movie and the best year to start with Bond 7 or DC must deside to make a 7th movie.

But as some other people i expect he wil quite with Bond 25 for 2017. That's mean final movie for DC and Dench. In my fanart she is on the run in Bond 23, but wil die in Bond 25. She wil not been seen in Bond 24.

5 years:

- Time to help to find the next actor with a good age. Actor can be in 2017 to young but in 2021 having the age and then time to get in to the part. I not have the feeling there is already English born actor who can replace Daniel Craig.
    - We the audince and the producers mabey need a break aka Goldeneye. I have this feeling sometimes,whyle i think there are original with some changes with QOS and Skyfall.. Time is needed to let the producers think about writers or prepair excutive producers taking over Michael G Wilson job.
    - In specialy: What count for the actor age also count for the age of the audince. People from the Goldeneye generation born in the 80's are 35-42 (1987-1980) year old in 2022. Iam 42 in 2022 and a actor of 36 year old is easier to accept then.

5 Years/2017 is only example. I don't mind Bond 25 DC final movie in 2016, but then there should take 6 year the next one.

• Could there ever be a BOND Film where the previous BOND Actors make Cameo roles such as has been done in SUPERMAN 1978, where Noel Neill, appeared as the mother of Lois Lane? B-)