Which Bond would have been best suited to a 007 TV show

edited October 2012 in Actors Posts: 553
This is something that has been on my mind for a while. Ever since I watched and reviewed all of the films recently, the thought got completely stuck in my mind that one Bond above all others would have been best suited to TV. The obvious choices would be Brosnan or Moore, as they came from TV. Whether it was the Miami Vice vibes of LTK I don't know, but Timothy Dalton would have been a very engaging Bond on a week to week basis, and my choice. Maybe I'll go into more detail later. Interested to know what others think.

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I actually agree with you on Dalton. Initially when I saw this thread I instantly thought Moore/Brosnan aswell for the same reason, but I've always felt Dalton had a very "highbrow TV drama" manner about him when watching his films - more so than the other two perhaps. So yeah...Dalton.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 70
    I've seen a few espisodes of The Saint where Moore is very James Bond-esque, so he is used to the formular, but of course he was 57 when he signed off on Bond so I'm not sure. Dalton does seem to fit well on television. If you haven't already, you should check him out as Season 4 villain Alexei Volkoff on the modern spy series called Chuck. He's not as active as he used to be, but it might help to imagine him on how he would have handled the TV show idea.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well I would say Moore first and foremost because he was The Saint.
    But every Bond we have had I have liked, truly - except Laz.
    So maybe Lazenby could have been a good tv Bond, one with extra action for sure.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I would probably say Brosnan. Truthfully, depending on the type of Bond it is (a realistic Craig/Dalton type, a fantastical Moore type, a more realistic than fantastical Connery/Lazenby type or the half-n-half Brosnan type), any of them could have come to TV.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Craig also started of in TV.

Anyway, they were all suited to the films and they all did a great job.

But if I had to choose which one would be good in a TV show? I'd say Dalton, if he's the best film Bond then he'd probably make the best TV Bond too.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    if he's the best film Bond then he'd probably make the best TV Bond too.

Some actors, yes. Kiefer Sutherland, I feel, is a much better TV actor than a film actor. Charlie Sheen, as well. Arnold Schwartzenegger, on the other hand, could never pull off TV acting.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dalton, mid 90s.

TV shows usually allow for lengthy dialogues and IMO Dalton is one of the better actors of the bunch. I can certainly see him pull it off.

100826timothy-dalton1.jpg
    George Lazenby could play James Bond on a TV series in the 1970's-1980's.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Funny, I was just contemplating this the other day. Dalton would make a perfect TV Bond. He's a fine Bond (and TLD is top 5 for me) but doesn't have the screen presence or charisma for a cinematic Bond. His missing third movie is one of the biggest missed opportunities
    This depends of what kind of TV show. If it was to be like the TV series of the 60s and 70s, I would say Roger Moore. If, for argument's sake (as it won't happen), it was to be a faithful adaptation of the novels on TV format, set in the same time period, then I would say Daniel Craig.
    Amazed this got resurrected after so long. When I started the topic, I wasn't thinking of a specific timeframe, or about actors with the most TV experience. I was simply struck when I watched all of the films that if Bond had been episodic TV, Dalton seemed to be the actor I'd most like to have seen do that, even though he is not my favourite screen Bond.
  • Any of them would have been capable. Connery and Lazenby would have been harder because of their egos but the rest of them would have done a bang up job. Indeed both Moore and Brosnan had good form on tv before stepping into the cinematic Bond.
  • brosnan_remington-steele.jpg

The obvious choice. Made for TV Bond at it's finest.

Roger Moore! He just seems to have the TV Bond style.