Completely unrelated Bond question about my TV problems.

edited October 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 188
Hi all,
Can any tech-heads out there with the know-how please please give me advice on my ongoing problems I'm having.

I have recently bought a new 22" flatscreen Samsung LED TV.

However, everything is working fine - except when I play a DVD; the image is clear and fine - but faintly at the back of the image you can see another image from a tv channel scrolling past over and over again. Like I said - this is very faint - but you can still see it if you look hard, or if the image on the screen is a dark uniform colour.

I've had something like this happen on my old portable TVs I used to have - and it was usually the scart lead - so I bought a new one - but it's still happening. Anyone know how I can remedy this problem?

PS; it's probably worth noting that I am unable to properly tune my channels in because I am unable to connect to the external aerial. Though how this would affect the DVD picture I don't know.

PPS; my dvd player is also a few years old.

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Well, if there is a prize next year for most out-of-topic discussion I'll name this :-bd

Now, about your TV. That's a shame, you have a ghost. I'm not sure I can help you but if you changed the scart and the problem continue I would bet it's related to the fact you cannot tune your channels correctly. It should have nothing to do with your old dvd player. Contrary to popular believe instruction manuals are generally quite helpful in situations like this. Have you taken a look at it?
  • I have some rudimentary instructions - but nothing revealing.

yes sorry its massively off topic of Bond - but General Discussion on forums is usually for anything - plus the problems with my TV is hindering my viewing of the Bond films...so... lol :P

I think the problem is most likely linked to the fact I can't tune my channels in....I think I may have to give the good people at Currys a visit.
    I wasn't complaining it was off-topic, I just found it amusing (not your problem but the topic itself) :D

Anyway, good luck with the TV, it's a shame you bought such a nice TV and now you can't use it properly.
  • haha
    well I could use it - but the fact the extremely faint image is on the back of the DVD picture really does my head in :P - especially since I have OCD!
    If nothing else helps, can you unplug the receiver and still use the dvd player? Then there should be no ghost at least while watching dvds.

And, yeah, poetic thread title!
    Take the aerial out - that should mean that there's no other picture to interfere with the DVD image.
  • I have taken the aerial out - but for some reason the problem persisted, something which has mystified the techguy forum as they were worried there was some grand signal zapping into my electronics...oh dear :P anyway...just as I have got into bed now I have taken away the scart lead and instead used a audio/video cable (also known as an RCA cable......also otherwise known as the cable with the red white and yellow ends on it lol) to hook the dvd player up to the TV and on first glances it looks like the problem has dissapeared - though I will have another look tomorrow.

So I'm thinking it is maybe a dodgy scart lead port on my DVD player that is to blame maybes. hhmm
  • Shouldn't this be in the 'all talk' thread or 'miscellaneous chat' or whatever it's called, what's it doing as a seperate thread?. Actually we've had this trouble ourselves, and all we found was (at risk of an electrocution), was to mess around with the scart sockets at the rear of the player, or connections, and we usually found it righted itself, particularly if the color wasn't right or featured correctly. Above all else, I'd recommend a maintenance guy or some other professional who clearly knows more than we do to help with this issue. Not a good idea to mess around with electronics if you don't really know what you're doing..
  • oo7oo7
    how old is the dvd player?
    lewisblake wrote:
    I have taken the aerial out - but for some reason the problem persisted, something which has mystified the techguy forum as they were worried there was some grand signal zapping into my electronics...oh dear :P anyway...just as I have got into bed now I have taken away the scart lead and instead used a audio/video cable (also known as an RCA cable......also otherwise known as the cable with the red white and yellow ends on it lol) to hook the dvd player up to the TV and on first glances it looks like the problem has dissapeared - though I will have another look tomorrow.

So I'm thinking it is maybe a dodgy scart lead port on my DVD player that is to blame maybes. hhmm
    Do you still have the bill from the shop ;-)?

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I have a Samsung TV and its rubbish. It works fine for gaming and streaming off the net, but it utterly fails to work as a TV. It just cuts to black every five mins and flashes up "weak or no signal". Funny, because our previous (and much less expensive/advanced) TV managed to get signal no problem. Now, the only way I can watch anything is on catch up. Sometimes I feel like I just wanna put my boot through it.
  • btw anyone who wants to move this thread or close it is quite welcome - I'm sorry if I've started up the thread in the wrong place or whatever :)

I don't want to use it for the TV, I only want to use it for watching DVDs really - and I have the fortunate luxury of having another TV downstairs.

The DVD player is around 3 years old - so I will buy a new one in the next few weeks, check it with the scart lead again and see if the same problem reoccurs -
    like I said; I have also tried replacing the scart lead with an RCA cable and it may have done the trick - meaning the ramifications as to what ISNT work I don't know...just as long as I can watch some DVDs lol
    I have a Samsung TV and its rubbish. It works fine for gaming and streaming off the net, but it utterly fails to work as a TV. It just cuts to black every five mins and flashes up "weak or no signal". Funny, because our previous (and much less expensive/advanced) TV managed to get signal no problem. Now, the only way I can watch anything is on catch up. Sometimes I feel like I just wanna put my boot through it.

I never had a problem with Samsung. I've had TVs, DVD player/recorder, several cell phones, all perfect. This kind of thing is lotery unfortunately.
    lewisblake wrote:
    btw anyone who wants to move this thread or close it is quite welcome - I'm sorry if I've started up the thread in the wrong place or whatever :)

I don't want to use it for the TV, I only want to use it for watching DVDs really - and I have the fortunate luxury of having another TV downstairs.

The DVD player is around 3 years old - so I will buy a new one in the next few weeks, check it with the scart lead again and see if the same problem reoccurs -
    like I said; I have also tried replacing the scart lead with an RCA cable and it may have done the trick - meaning the ramifications as to what ISNT work I don't know...just as long as I can watch some DVDs lol

If you only want to play DVDs just remove the connection to the antenna! That should get you rid of all problems :)

By the way 3 years for a DVD player is usually not bad (unless the equipment was not very good to start with).