Johnny Cash "Thunderball"

brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
edited October 2012 in Music Posts: 1,400
well this is a first.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bootleg-vol.-2-from-memphis/id417738818

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/licence-to-sing-the-james-bond-themes-that-never-were-20121004

"Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and "Thunderball" -- Shirley Bassey, Dionne Warwick, Johnny Cash ("Thunderball")
The fourth Bond movie, "Thunderball" (and the one that would ultimately cause a lot of headaches for the franchise, with writer Kevin McCrory winning the rights for a separate parallel Bond franchise, so long as he kept remaking this movie) was the first time that there was a degree of unrest about the theme tune. Johnny Cash submitted his own version, which is pretty decent (although leans a little close to the plot), but was rejected by producers in favor of another composition by "Goldfinger" composers Lesley Bricusse and John Barry. The song, entitled "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," (a title borrowed from an Italian journalist), intially reunited Barry and Bricusse (who wrote the lyrics) with Shirley Bassey, but was later re-recorded by Dionne Warwick. Even then, however, the studio asked that they replace it with one that shared the film's title, and so Barry wrote the booming "Thunderball" with lyricist Don Black, with Tom Jones performing it. Elements of "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" can still be heard in Barry's score for the film, however.

Comments

Thunderball is a great Cash song (as any other) but not a good Bond song. Although it's great to have a theme of my favorite franchise sang by my favorite artist!
  • I agree that Cash's Thunderball wasn't right for Bond.

The real missed opportunity imo is Alice Cooper's TMWTGG ...not near his best songs mind you, but better than the Lulu theme imo...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I agree that Cash's Thunderball wasn't right for Bond.

The real missed opportunity imo is Alice Cooper's TMWTGG ...not near his best songs mind you, but better than the Lulu theme imo...

a squirrel farting into a tin can for 3 minutes would sound better than LuLu's TMWTGG

• HASEROT wrote:
    I agree that Cash's Thunderball wasn't right for Bond.

a squirrel farting into a tin can for 3 minutes would sound better than LuLu's TMWTGG

Haha see, now imagine the improvement with Alice Cooper! ;-)

So glad the Alice Cooper version was rejected... because it was awful. I much prefer Lulu's version. John Barry on an off day is far better than most of the modern stuff on a supposedly good day.
  • They need to make up for TMWTGG by getting Cooper to do a Bond theme.
    bondsum wrote:
    So glad the Alice Cooper version was rejected... because it was awful. I much prefer Lulu's version. John Barry on an off day is far better than most of the modern stuff on a supposedly good day.

I also like TMWTGG theme, specially in its instrumental version of Let's go get 'em (boy!)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,817
    By the way, I don't know how much this discussion is extended. As a Cash fan I don't know much about his Thunderball other that he propose it in a time when he recorded many soundtracks like The Rebel Johnny Yuma and also recorded the Bonanza theme with lyrics.
  • Cash or Alice Cooper doing Bond songs is a poor idea.

• only just heard the Cash song for the first time,strange a Bond tale to a western vibe.
  • Cash was a great artist but his song was wrong for Bond.
    Cash was one of the greastest storytellers in music (if you don't believe me, listen to 'A Boy Named Sue'). So it would been great if he've recorded several songs like Thunderball that, in his style, he tell the adventures of Bond, won't you think?