Is it just me that thinks Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises is basically a Bond film?

edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 188
Is it just me that thinks Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises is basically a Bond film in the Batman universe, and on a superhero scale????

With the superhero-scale comes more of a dichotomy between good and bad - or rather, with Nolan's batman series, the characters can appear morally ambiguous and yet they are still either good guys or bad guys. You could say the earlier Bond films had this same light and dark dichotomy whilst maintaining some moral ambiguity of characters - the bad guys were exaggerated and their evil manifested externally either via a scar, bionic hand, name, accent etc It has been said by many that Bane in TDKR sounds not unlike a 'Bond-villain', meaning specifically that Bane probably sounds abit like Goldfinger - indeed you could almost expect Bane to erupt saying 'I expect you to die Mr Bond'. Just look at Bane's best quotes from TDKR and they sound like a Bond villain should be saying them haha

Lest we also mention Bane's evil megalomaniacal plans that are not so different to that of the likes of Blofeld, Drax etc Bane wished to purge Gotham of it's 'sin' by blowing it the hell up. Bane even has somewhat of a makeshift underground layer that he makes for himself with his 'henchmen'- as well as co-opting gadgets of his own. For Bane read; Blofeld with more terrorist leanings, Jaws' menacing physicality, and Goldfingers' eccentricities.

Further - what some would call - more 'tenuous' links I see between TDKR and Bond; 1) Wayne has his gadgets, new ones for each movie, presented by his very own Q in the shape of god himself Morgan Freeman - including one in TDKR they should nick for the next Bond film i.e. a device that sets your leg straight if its broke lol 2) there are 2 Bond girls in a Bond film tradionally, would talia and selina kyle not count as femme fetales to rival equivicable Bond girls!? 3) Finally - there's a bomb that must be taken care of lol ala Goldfinger.

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    lewisblake wrote:
    Is it just me that thinks Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises is basically a Bond film in the Batman universe, and on a superhero scale????

Batman universe; superhero scale... so not like Bond at all. Right.

Seriously though.. yes there are similarities. But was it intentional.. no. The 'hijacking a plane mid-air' I think was a wink from Nolan, but beyond that I think they're two distinctive franchises, with different intentions and stories.
    I think that there certainly are similarities. Bond has elements of the superhero about him; he's the only one that can save the world but is just a man without special, 'superhuman' abilities. Nolan's Batman has elements of Bond; his Batman is a more fallible, human character.

It's also shown in the stories, Bond faces supervillains, but they're 'human' in the sense that they have flaws and are very often motivated by greed. Much like Nolan's Batman villains (except for Bane).

Nolan's Batman films and Bond - especially Dalton's and Craig's Bonds - do have a lot of similarities. I really do think it's their 'humanity'.
  • I haven't put too much thought into it yet, but right off the bat, the scene from Batman Begins of Bruce meeting Lucius for the first time felt very much like Bond in Q's lab
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    lewisblake wrote:

With the superhero-scale comes more of a dichotomy between good and bad - or rather, with Nolan's batman series, the characters can appear morally ambiguous and yet they are still either good guys or bad guys. You could say the earlier Bond films had this same light and dark dichotomy whilst maintaining some moral ambiguity of characters - the bad guys were exaggerated and their evil manifested externally either via a scar, bionic hand, name, accent etc It has been said by many that Bane in TDKR sounds not unlike a 'Bond-villain', meaning specifically that Bane probably sounds abit like Goldfinger - indeed you could almost expect Bane to erupt saying 'I expect you to die Mr Bond'. Just look at Bane's best quotes from TDKR and they sound like a Bond villain should be saying them haha

Lest we also mention Bane's evil megalomaniacal plans that are not so different to that of the likes of Blofeld, Drax etc Bane wished to purge Gotham of it's 'sin' by blowing it the hell up. Bane even has somewhat of a makeshift underground layer that he makes for himself with his 'henchmen'- as well as co-opting gadgets of his own. For Bane read; Blofeld with more terrorist leanings, Jaws' menacing physicality, and Goldfingers' eccentricities.

Further - what some would call - more 'tenuous' links I see between TDKR and Bond; 1) Wayne has his gadgets, new ones for each movie, presented by his very own Q in the shape of god himself Morgan Freeman - including one in TDKR they should nick for the next Bond film i.e. a device that sets your leg straight if its broke lol 2) there are 2 Bond girls in a Bond film tradionally, would talia and selina kyle not count as femme fetales to rival equivicable Bond girls!? 3) Finally - there's a bomb that must be taken care of lol ala Goldfinger.

Dead wrong.
    Talia ran the show.
    They both are stories around a hero so they have something in common. Joseph Campbell pointed out that there is a similar structure around the tales of heroes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    They both are stories around a hero so they have something in common. Joseph Campbell pointed out that there is a similar structure around the tales of heroes.
    I still see Bond as more of an antihero. There are so many blurred lines that you have to get across in your definition of a character and his morals, and Bond just screams antihero to me. But you could also argue that Batman is more antihero than hero as well, of course.
    0013 wrote:
    I still see Bond as more of an antihero. There are so many blurred lines that you have to get across in your definition of a character and his morals, and Bond just screams antihero to me. But you could also argue that Batman is more antihero than hero as well, of course.

Really? I don't see it. I mean, of course the characters are somehow complex, but at the end they follow the areté (virtue) instead of following their passions (or hubris). For me is very clear in TDKR (by doing his duty) and Bond in QOS (by not killing Yussef). And of course, Luke Skywalker by throwing away the lightsaber when facing the Emperor!
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Really? I don't see it. I mean, of course the characters are somehow complex, but at the end they follow the areté (virtue) instead of following their passions (or hubris). For me is very clear in TDKR (by doing his duty) and Bond in QOS (by not killing Yussef). And of course, Luke Skywalker by throwing away the lightsaber when facing the Emperor!
    Well, I define Bond as antihero because though he is indeed heroic and lays down life and blood for his country's protection and interests abroad, there are times where he does questionable things on his pathway to completing his mission (the killing, the hitting of women, the manipulation). Then there are the d*ck moves he has made throughout the adaptions of the character.
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Well, I define Bond as antihero because though he is indeed heroic and lays down life and blood for his country's protection and interests abroad, there are times where he does questionable things on his pathway to completing his mission (the killing, the hitting of women, the manipulation). Then there are the d*ck moves he has made throughout the adaptions of the character.

Is that questionable for Bond or for you? Because in the moral code of Bond and MI6 I don't think they are (by the way, they are questionable for me!)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Nolan has often said that he uses the Bond films as inspiration, and one could draw similarities between both the current run of Batman films, and Inception to various parts of the Bond blueprint.... Nolan is a Bond fan, so it's no surprise that maybe certain elements bleed over.
    I hope NOT since I found TDKR lacking and for Bond23 I expect more.
  • There are Bond elements in the Nolan Batman films.

Morgan Freeman was basically Q, the plane hijacking was right out of a Bond film, etc.

But a Nolan film that is more like Bond is Inception.
    lewisblake wrote:
    Nolan has openly said that he has been shamelessly ripping off Bond films, and I think he even used the same words. Clearly there are some elements strongly reminding of Bond in Nolan´s three Batman films, like the nice suits, or many of the action scenes. But that doesn´t make any of them Bond films, not even basically. Basically, TDKR is a Nolan film, using comic book characters and Bond-ish elements.
    And I would cry for mercy if Zimmer should ever score Bond.

edited October 2012 Posts: 28,694
    boldfinger wrote:
    lewisblake wrote:
    Nolan has openly said that he has been shamelessly ripping off Bond films, and I think he even used the same words. Clearly there are some elements strongly reminding of Bond in Nolan´s three Batman films, like the nice suits, or many of the action scenes. But that doesn´t make any of them Bond films, not even basically. Basically, TDKR is a Nolan film, using comic book characters and Bond-ish elements.
    Hell to the yes.
    \m/
    Not seen the film as of yet, so unable to say. But he has gone on record as saying that he has been influenced by the Bond films in the movies that he makes.
  • I guess my beginning observations at the start of this thread were made with a view as to speculating what a Nolan Bond film would in fact be like - as I think it should be pretty certain that he will direct a Bond film one day, even if he's being coy about it at the moment and post TDKR.
    I guess I also hoped others would acknowledge Nolan’s nods to Bond – whether they are intention or not, or maybe added by Nolan via inspiration and creative subconscious. I do know Nolan has said OHMSS is his favorite Bond movie - maybe the whole snow base attack sequence in Inception was somekind of subliminal ode to that? I also think there are several aspects of TDKR especially that remind me of Bond - if not in plot then in filmic direction or devices. And as I said initially - what struck me most of all was coming away thinking of Bane as sort of a Bond villain, and how cool it would be to see Bane vs Bond haha

PS
    I’d also class Bond as an anti-hero – he’s portrayed as a cold killer by Fleming in my opinion, who has a love affair with women and the conquest of women, but can drop a lover easily too.

PS PS
    I personally would love Zimmer to score a Bond film!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 774
    The main reason I don't want Nolan to direct a Bond film is because of Zimmer. Massively overrated, The Lion King and Gladiator are, in my opinion, his only stand out works.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote:
    lewisblake wrote:
    Hell to the yes.
    \m/

And the man has now been given "Man of Steel". I wonder what Williams will think of that?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I would could be crying "WHY" if Zimmer ever scored Bond. I find his music repetitive, themeless and generic.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Murdock wrote:
    I would could be crying "WHY" if Zimmer ever scored Bond. I find his music repetitive, themeless and generic.

His style of music has its place, it worked on films like Inception and some of his earlier scores are great, but thematic continuity is not his strongpoint, definitely.

Which is why, straight off the bat, I know his score will have no chance of topping Williams' original efforts for Superman. It probably won't even top Ottman's stuff for Superman Returns, which was a very underrated score.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    And now Skyfall became the 007 version of the Dark Knight.
  • How's about that?

bond_24__the_phoenix_endgame_by_jackchristian-d5h3v2p.jpg
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    JamesBond wrote:
    How's about that?

bond_24__the_phoenix_endgame_by_jackchristian-d5h3v2p.jpg

Not bad except I think M should be played by Michael Caine or Gary Oldman. Cillian Murphy would play Q, and Marion Cotillard not Kelly Brook would be the Bond Girl. Other Bond girl that Chris Nolan may put: Anne Hathaway (The Dark Knight rises), Piper Perabo (from The Prestige).

• I'd say Anne Hathaway is the perfect choice for a Bond film by Nolan.
    JamesBond wrote:
    I'd say Anne Hathaway is the perfect choice for a Bond film by Nolan.

I think the obvious choice would be Marion Cotillard. But Hathaway could work..
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JamesBond wrote:
    I'd say Anne Hathaway is the perfect choice for a Bond film by Nolan.

I think the obvious choice would be Marion Cotillard. But Hathaway could work..

Yes, I was thinking of the same.
  • Anne Hathaway would make a perfect Moneypenny don't you think?
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Felix Leiter.
  • Who thinks Tom Hardy might make a good Bond though?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Tom Hardy would make a good villain too.

But: Nolan's trilogy was inspired in part by James Bond, and Nolan's favourite 007-flick is OHMSS.