Bought a new LED 22" TV to watch Bond on - peoples opinions please

edited September 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 188
Hi everyone, so this is just a boring plea for relatable opinions and advice concerning a new 22" LED Samsung TV I bought yesterday to watch Bond movies on (and other stuff obviously haha).

I'm somewhat obsessive compulsive (understatement) and I have been putting off buying a new TV for a while as I put up with the same small TV and video (built in) from about 5 years ago or more. So I decided I should splash out and get a new TV.

But,
A) There are small smudges on the screen - barely noticable. Any sane person would ignore them. I know there are people not lucky enough to be able to afford new TVs especially brand new ones. But like I said, I'm am Obsessive Compulsive. Has anyone had experiences like this with brand new TVs? - i.e. the TV already having marks/smudges on them even though they are brand new?

B) I want to buy some add-ons for the TV - for example; a swivel-platform so I can turn the TV + some sort of screen protector...can anyone advise me on what they have bought for they're flatscreen TVs?

C) Can people advise me on the ideal sound and picture settings for my flatscreen TV to watch Bond movies in?

thanks for reading - any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

Can I be your guest? :D
  • lol - do you say that because of the TV? or my marvelous hosting skills lol
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    Well, guess what I did :-P. I bought a new LED TV from Philips. A 37 incher (94 cm), from the 3500 series. Full HD and 100Hz, WiFi internet ready. And the next week I bought a Sony Home Cinema set with 3D BluRay. 1000W amplifier, 3D ready, WiFi internet ready and Full HD:

philips-37pfl4007.jpg?width=500&height=500
    sony-bdv-e280-1.jpg

The original prices were €575,- for the LED-tv and €349,- for the Home Cinema set from Sony. But I bought both for €472,- + €199,- = €671,- ;-). Kinda cheap no? And now I'm well-prepared for my Danny Craig marathon, preceding the premiere of 'SkyFall'.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,450
    € 199 that is nice price, i pay € 105,00 for my Sony BD 3D player only.

At this moment i have Philips HD-Ready tv and that not realy working on the way i like to see it with my BD player. Because my player is connect on the DVI thing, it Disable the 16:9 and 16:9 subitel option and the audiostraight from tv. Something that i don't know before. I whas lucky i have my 1997 Sam Sung audio set where i yuse now the Aux input for the audio. Because strange enough that HD-ready t don't have a red,white and yellow input, if so that can have been the alternate option to connect the player.

Stil in consider what 3D Tv i should buy. Before i buy my Bd player i whas only sjure that both player and tv not going to be Philips, no 3D and atleast 1 scart connection and 2 HDMI. Before i also think about a 81 or 94 cm (32 or 37 inch) tv. Now iam thinking more about 46 or 42 (40) inch and with 3D now because i whant a Sony tv and Sony tv's look smaller and Full HD start with 40 inch i understand. And my BD player advice 46 inch for the 3D function.

For my tv i whant spend is € 650. I kind of take the difrence of my BD player and Dvd player what be € 350 and how much i pay for my 4:3 tv in 2001 = € 300. I try to accepted this, because before iam thinking about 81 or 94 cm whas big enough with a smaller budget. So a 40 inch isn't realy out of my mind. The 720 series 40 or 46 i have in consideration, but i also heard there be some problems from the left and right side of the screen whyle watching 3D and i also i think i prefer the not active 3D tv and 720 series is a active 3D tv.

It take already take very long making the step buying a BD player (6 years after the introducing.), last year i bought a computer screen who in need more then BD player. 21,5 inch full HD from Philips.

With Dvd my player be more expensive then tv, this time iam afraid it is the other way around.
  • Well, guess what I did :-P. I bought a new LED TV from Philips. A 37 incher (94 cm), from the 3500 series. Full HD and 100Hz, WiFi internet ready. And the next week I bought a Sony Home Cinema set with 3D BluRay. 1000W amplifier, 3D ready, WiFi internet ready and Full HD:

philips-37pfl4007.jpg?width=500&height=500
    sony-bdv-e280-1.jpg

The original prices were €575,- for the LED-tv and €349,- for the Home Cinema set from Sony. But I bought both for €472,- + €199,- = €671,- ;-). Kinda cheap no? And now I'm well-prepared for my Danny Craig marathon, preceding the premiere of 'SkyFall'.

damn your riches. haha

btw did any of you have any problems with marks or anything on your tvs when you bought them new? or do you know of a 'phenomena' by which people discover some sort of imperfection once they've got the TV home?
    Nah, not on my TV. It functions perfectly. But I heard about 'death pixels'. No death pixels on my TV though :).
  • well I've decided to take it back as a friend could see these 'spots' of discolouration on the screen too when I pointed them out.

Now I'm just anxious the replacement is in full working order.

I don't see why I should pay for something and it be flawed straight away.