THE HARVESTERS (my short film) OFFICIALLY ONLINE!!

HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
edited September 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 4,399
For those regs that have known for a while that I was shooting and putting together my own short horror film titled "The Harvesters" the wait is finally over... i posted it up to YouTube just a short while ago... here is a little bit of background on the project, so you kind of know what to expect before you watch it - or you could get an idea of what i was trying to go for after you watch it..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A short film I shot over the course of 3 days, for my final college project.. Over the course of my 2 years of schooling, the idea and plot kept changing for what I wanted to do - finally I decided to shoot a very low tech, low key homage to the horror films I grew up watching like "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" - but also giving it that aged and damaged film look made popular by the recent "Grindhouse" films..

The story is really simple - it's about 2 college girls who go out with 2 guys, and when they return home from their date, bad things happen... it's loosely inspired by the Cleveland Torso Murders of the early 1900s - in which a number of bodies were found with missing limbs, heads, or in some cases internal organs - and the killer(s) were never found, and the case has remind unsolved for nearly a century...

This is a project that I shot in just a little under 3 days, with no budget, and very limited equipment, and very limited time at my disposal... it's something that with proper backing and funding i would love to turn into a feature length film... if you've taken the time to read all of this, hope you enjoy the film.

- DJ Clement
(writer and director)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    bump
  • I will give it a watch later on today and let you know what I thought...
  • I really enjoyed it. I liked the way you used the grainy black and white and I do get a Halloween vibe from it.

The mask is simple but creepy, and it reminds me a bit of Scarecrow from Batman Begins.

Nice work.
  • I watched your film and enjoyed it. It was very atmospheric. I like the opening credits. Very 1970's.The ending was very well done and I like the use of shots. Wondering what the film would look like without all the scratches and dirt. What equipement did you use to film and edit?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2012 Posts: 4,399
    we shot with a Cannon 7D - and just a simple light box lighting kit

for editing, i used Final Cut Pro, as well as Soundtrack Pro to adjust some of the music and sound effects..

we were very limited on what we could use - I had originally planned to have all the lighting equipment my school had and make better use out of traditional 3 point lighting, but a fellow classmate had requested a lot of the same equipment as i did... so, i had to make the artistic decision that we would shoot with minimal lighting and go for a very "moody" look - or as best as we could do.... other than some re-shoots i wish i could've gone back and done (but couldn't).. i wanted and had planned to do a lot more set dressing to make it look more like an apartment 2 girls were sharing - but i was told at the last minute that i couldn't hang anything off the walls.... still irked about that one lol.
  • HI Haserot
    In the description you said that you filmed over 3 days. How long did you take to edit and render the final project with all the "aged film" effects? Any plans to do a film in the Bond style?...
    @nobodydoesitbetter

truth be told, when we got done with the 3 day shoot, i shelved the project for a long while... i am not a big fan of editing - i enjoy it, but i have to want to do it - if that makes sense... being my first time directing, the 3 days wore me out - not so much from filming - but having to deal with behind the scenes drama (that i wasnt expecting) - so.... i let the footage sit for almost 6 months before touching it - and even then, it was only little bits at a time i would work on... but once i got off my (you know what) it took me roughly 10 weeks - i could've done in it in probably half the time, but i had other work i had to get done as well....

rendering was a bit of a pain at times, because of the effects, any subtle change and i would have to render out everything all over again... i got through it though - it took a couple hours, but i got through it lol..

in terms of a film in the Bond style.... yes, but nothing concrete in terms of an original story - its still in the formulative stages..... but i have thought about shooting Bond shorts just for fun - based on excerpts from the various Fleming novels, or even some of short stories themselves, like FAVTAK.... but we'll see...
    bump