Best of Bond... James Bond 50th anniversary CD ready for pre-order

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 1,310
    TheBondFan wrote:
    $25 seems quite extreme for 2CDs, but I'll have to see the track listings before I make any sort of final judgement.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    YES I've been waiting for this! Now hopefully it will be all new re orchestrated musical tracks that needed re arranging!

but I'm the Boss....I need the Info.

goodnight y'all.
    [-O< I-)
  • I wouldn't bother, unless you are a serious collector.
    They have done something similar for the 30th and the 40th so I would expect this to be of similar substance, just updated with the films (Skyfall excepted) that have been out since.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    dchantry wrote:
    I wouldn't bother, unless you are a serious collector.
    They have done something similar for the 30th and the 40th so I would expect this to be of similar substance, just updated with the films (Skyfall excepted) that have been out since.

The 2 disc edition states 50 years 50 tracks. I might bother with that release..but yes listings would be nice. :-)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 74
    A Google search yielded this -- a shopping site from India with a track listing:

http://www.infibeam.com/Music/best-bond-james-bond-50-years-50-tracks-various-audio-cd/5099923281820.html

Title songs on one disc, selections from soundtracks and special items on the other, it seems . . .
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I presume, judging from that track list, that anyone who has the soundtracks is unlikely to find new stuff in here.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 74
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I presume, judging from that track list, that anyone who has the soundtracks is unlikely to find new stuff in here.

That is what I thought, too. I have not checked all titles in detail yet, but obviously, nothing spectacular there -- or did anyone spot anything that is noteworthy?
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Still no Dionne Warwick KKBB!! :-(
    Would have been nice to have had unrealeased cues on the second disc, but like that would ever happen! I'm never gonna get my dream TSWLM soundtrack...
    First i have seen of this, but half expected a compilation. Will decide nearer the time i think!
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 824
    Nothing new for me on this.

A lazy release. They could have put some previously unreleased tracks on this e.g the remaining tracks from The Man With The Golden Gun but that would have required a little expenditure and effort, so nobody bothered

Very happy that I can avoid buying this.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,622
    I like this package even though the first disc is basically redundant for me, as I do have a greatest hits cd, that goes right up to CR, but I do like the second cd -- the way its put together with other worthy selections from all the soundtracks. Even though I've got the last 7 soundtracks and a handful from the middle period, I don't have either TLD or any of the '60's soundtracks, so with this buy, I get the two Pretenders songs from TLD plus other neat stuff, and all laid out in a chronological sequence from first film to last.
    Side two would be a fun listen. Kind of like a B-side of Bond's greatest hits, with a mix of both noteworthy vocal and instrumental tracks. In fact it seems, the producer has taken pains to include all the vocal tracks, even the really lame ones (Eric Serra, Scott Walker).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Be nice if they did a vinyl set maybe a 3 or 4 disc version. CD is so old hat!
  • Let's just post the list already-

AUDIO-CD Description

Track Listings:

Disc 1
    1. James Bond Theme- John Barry Orchestra
    2. From Russia With Love- Matt Monro
    3. Goldfinger- Shirley Bassey
    4. Thunderball - Tom Jones
    5. You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra
    6. On Her Majestys Secret Service - John Barry Orchestra
    7. We Have All The Time In The World - Louis Armstrong
    8. Diamonds Are Forever- Shirley Bassey
    9. Live And Let Die- Paul McCartney & The Wings
    10. Man With The Golden- Gun Lulu
    11. Nobody Does It Better- Carly Simon
    12. Moonraker- Shirley Bassey
    13. For Your Eyes Only- Sheena Easton
    14. All Time High- Rita Coolidge
    15. A View To A Kill- Duran Duran
    16. Living Daylights- A-HA
    17. Licence To Kill- Gladys Knight
    18. Goldeneye (Single Edit)- Tina Turner
    19. Tomorrow Never Dies- Sheryl Crow
    20. The World Is Not Enough- Garbage
    21. Die Another Day- Madonna
    22. You know My Name- Chris Cornell
    23. Another Way To Die- Jack White & Alicia Keys

Disc 2
    24. Dr. No's Fantasy- Eric Rodgers
    25. Under The Mango Tree - Diana Coupland
    26. 007- The John Barry Orchestra
    27. Into Miami- The John Barry Orchestra
    28. The Laser Beam- The John Barry Orchestra
    29. Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang- Shirley Bassey
    30. Switching The Body- The John Barry Orchestra
    31. Capsule in Space- The John Barry Orchestra
    32. Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?- Nina
    33. Bond Smells a Rat - The John Barry Orchestra
    34. Fillet Of Soul - B. J. Arnau
    35. Hips Trip - The John Barry Orchestra
    36. The Pyramids- Marvin Hamlisch
    37. Cable Car and Snake Fight - The John Barry Orchestra
    38. Make It Last All Night- Rage
    39. The Chase Bond Theme - The John Barry Orchestra
    40. Snow Job - The John Barry Orchestra
    41. If There Was a Man- The Pretenders
    42. Where Has Everybody Gone - The Pretenders
    43. If You Asked Me To- Patti LaBelle
    44. The Experience Of Love- Eric Serra
    45. James Bond Theme- Moby
    46. Surrender - k.d. lang
    47. Only Myself To Blame- Scott Walker
    48. James Bond Theme (Bond vs. Oakenfold)- David Arnold feat. Paul Oakenfold
    49. Vesper - David Arnold
    50. Time To Get Out- David Arnold

I have all 22 original first release soundtracks on CD save GoldenEye but since my son managed to wreck my previous compilation disc of title songs that went up to TWINE, I believe I'll be in the market for this one because I do want the GE title song back in the fold. There are quite a few tunes in the second CD not on the original versions such as Surrender and YKMN that make this release attractive as well. I think it's a good investment for those reasons and will certainly enjoy it whether at home or on the road. Hopefully I'll get Skyfall about the same time and double my enjoyment if Newman gets the job done right.
  • There are quite a few tunes in the second CD not on the original versions such as Surrender and YKMN that make this release attractive as well.

Interesting You should mention "Surrender". It is on the first release album for "Tomorrow never dies", indeed. Or do You refer to the fuller score that people sell on Marketplace for hundreds of Euros . . ? Does it not contain that song?

• Mine is the 2000 version without either title nor end theme. I won it for winning a trivia contest. I already had the title theme on another CD. Here's what's on mine, I'd guess it's the fuller score-

"White Knight" (8:29)
    "Sinking of the Devonshire" (7:06)
    "Company Car" (3:07)
    "Paris And Bond" (1:55)
    "Last Goodbye" (1:33)
    "Hamburg Break In" (2:53)
    "Hamburg Break Out" (1:24)
    "Doctor Kaufman" (2:27)
    "*-3-Send" (1:15)
    "Backseat Driver" (4:34)
    "Underwater Discovery" (3:36)
    "Helicopter Ride" (1:34)
    "Bike Chase" (6:44)
    "Bike Shop Fight" (2:42)
    "Kowloon Bay" (2:27)
    "Boarding the Stealth" (4:38)
    "A Tricky Spot for 007" (2:48)
    "All in a Day's Work" (5:09)
    "Exclusive David Arnold Interview" (11:02)

So I am still Surrender-less short on listening online or popping in the UDVD, and this set will remedy that :D
    Until today I never realised there was an expanded version of this soundtrack. The one that @SirHenryLeeChaChing has posted above is certainly different from my bog standard version. I also found there's another 2x CD set out there from Australia that features everything including a bonus CD of medley tracks by Moby and Tommy Tallarico from 'The Original Soundtrack From The Video Game'. If you're interested in this other 3rd version I'll provide the link below...

http://www.discogs.com/David-Arnold-Tomorrow-Never-Dies-Complete-Motion-Picture-Score/release/2193938
    Mine is the 2000 version without either title nor end theme. I won it for winning a trivia contest. I already had the title theme on another CD. Here's what's on mine, I'd guess it's the fuller score-

"White Knight" (8:29)
    "Sinking of the Devonshire" (7:06)
    "Company Car" (3:07)
    "Paris And Bond" (1:55)
    "Last Goodbye" (1:33)
    "Hamburg Break In" (2:53)
    "Hamburg Break Out" (1:24)
    "Doctor Kaufman" (2:27)
    "*-3-Send" (1:15)
    "Backseat Driver" (4:34)
    "Underwater Discovery" (3:36)
    "Helicopter Ride" (1:34)
    "Bike Chase" (6:44)
    "Bike Shop Fight" (2:42)
    "Kowloon Bay" (2:27)
    "Boarding the Stealth" (4:38)
    "A Tricky Spot for 007" (2:48)
    "All in a Day's Work" (5:09)
    "Exclusive David Arnold Interview" (11:02)

So I am still Surrender-less short on listening online or popping in the UDVD, and this set will remedy that :D

I picked this up in as new condition from a street market in birmingham. £7. Checked online - deleted issue worth anything from £40 to £120 odd. Chuffed. Plus it is a brilliant album to boot. Bike Chase is mint! :-)
  • Mine is the 2000 version without either title nor end theme. I won it for winning a trivia contest. I already had the title theme on another CD. Here's what's on mine, I'd guess it's the fuller score-

Oh . . . my . . . God . . .

You guess? I should think You do -- that is one of the holy grails of Bond soundtracks . . !

My regular release has the Crow, Lang and Moby songs, but is lacking some fine Arnold pieces: "Helicopter Ride", "Bike Chase", "Bike Shop Fight", "Kowloon Bay", "Boarding the Stealth", "A Tricky Spot for 007", and "All in a Day's Work". However, Your elusive CD seems to be missing at least one Arnold track from the 1997 edition: "Station Break" with a running time of 3:30.

Never knew there was a full release. I find that Australian album quite strange -- the notes say, "All tracks from the official release are included, plus a lot of new tracks. A few tracks have different names than on the official release". So this is some sort of bootleg, I come to think . . .

Whatever: when I am in Birmingham, I will check the street markets . . !

;)
  • TND is one of the only films where a full, good quality bootleg could be compiled, because the UE offers the function to only listen to the score while watching the film. I think that's where the songs come from on the Australian edition, because most official CD's wouldn't have the 'UA logo fanfare' on it.
    Why wouldn't they include the Skyfall theme song? Anyhow, this is a pretty decent compilation. But I would rather just collect all the individual soundtracks with all the instrumental tracks rather than just a having a sampling. Better yet, I'd rather collect all the vinyl, which is what I'm in the process of doing.
  • JBFan626 wrote:
    Why wouldn't they include the Skyfall theme song? Anyhow, this is a pretty decent compilation. But I would rather just collect all the individual soundtracks with all the instrumental tracks rather than just a having a sampling. Better yet, I'd rather collect all the vinyl, which is what I'm in the process of doing.

I agree the SF theme should be on there, but knowing the biz it's also impossible to say exactly why. Quite a few reasons I could immediately think of.

I have all the individual soundtracks short of GE, but sometimes I just want a sampler rather than a specific film and that's why this works for me. Both this and Skyfall soundtrack on order :)

• I really love the Best of Bond...James Bond 50 Years Soundtrack. Not only does it have all the Bond theme songs, but other music scores from scenes from all 22 Bond films. (Like Under The Mango Tree & K.D. Lang's Surrender for an example) The only flaw is that they don't have Adele's Skyfall. Rather than that, it's a must buy for James Bond fans.