'Die Another Day's' Toby Stephens to Headline Starz Drama 'Black Sails'

gt007gt007 Station G
edited September 2012 in Actors Posts: 1,182
He'll play Captain Flint in Michael Bay's eight-episode prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island."

Starz has found its Captain Flint.

Die Another Day's Toby Stephens has been tapped to star in the upcoming eight-episode original series Black Sails.

The series takes place 20 years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic Treasure Island and hails from executive producer Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes shingle.

Stephens will play Flint, the most feared captain of all the Golden Age pirates and commander of the pirate ship Walrus.

Jericho's Jon Steinberg created the series and serves as showrunner and executive producer.

Production will begin at Cape Town Studios in Cape Town, South Africa, later this year.

MORE TO COME…

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Comments

Surprised he can still get work after the atrocious DAD. Same could be said of Halle Berry also. Maybe the curse of DAD has been lifted for Toby?
    Michael Bay is involved, no thank you ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I think Toby Stephens is a fine actor, he deserved better than his character in DAD and certainly better than Michael Bay. I hope his time is yet to come.
  • I don't know much about Stephens other work outside of Bond, but I think it could of worked so much better for the actor had he appeared in another Bond release, most likely around the same time period. I enjoyed the Graves character, but it was let down by what was going on around him. Maybe could of been a candidate as a possible James Bond even? I'm not suggesting we could of had him instead of Craig, but now that we are talking about it, it's within the boundaries of common sense he could of been James Bond at some stage in time. That time has passed maybe, but it's something they could of considered, of course he would of had to have been interested himself if they had gone along with it, but it's something that warrants any level of consideration
    The only thing I've seen him in, apart from DAD, is a low budget horror flick called Severance where he was actually pretty good in it - not that I thought the movie was that good. Hopefully he can make us forget that awful sneering Gustav Graves character and remind us why people think he's still a fine actor.
    bondsum wrote:
    The only thing I've seen him in, apart from DAD, is a low budget horror flick called Severance where he was actually pretty good in it - not that I thought the movie was that good. Hopefully he can make us forget that awful sneering Gustav Graves character and remind us why people think he's still a fine actor.

I've heard him read extracts of the Ian Fleming novels and he does it well.