Metal \m/

edited September 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 268
Any more metal heads around here? Lets post and discuss about every subgenre that makes you wanna headbang all the way to hell with trolls and devils and maidens and pirates and necrophiliacs and murderers and dragons and demons and just simply great music!

First time I really started listening to metal was in back in high school, once on a lunch break the television was set on MTV (this was in the time when they played music :O ) and the video for Hammerfalls "Hearts on fire" was on. And just suddenly like a revelation it dawned on me that this was my music! Then after listening to the likes of Edguy and power metal in general it turned a bit harder and darker music wise, more and more industrial metal with KMFDM and Rob Zombie, and then via black metal with Watain it have settled down with technical and melodic death. Now though, I've started listening to more retro rock, Ghost and The Sword are both fantastic bands!

Here's a few recommendations to get things started \m/

(We can spoilertag the youtube vids so the thread doesnt kill slow internet connections hehe)

Folkmetal: Ensiferum - Burning Leaves

Psychadelica/doom/retro rock: Witchcraft - it's not because of you

Post-black metal: Enshine - Nightwave

Death metal: Zonaria - Arrival of the red sun

Metal: Dawnbringer - III

Funeral doom: Ahab - Divinity of Oceans (this band is fantastic, long pieces with both brutal growl force and beautiful clean passages in the song)

oh, and the video that started it all for me: Hammerfall - Hearts on fire

Comments

I do not listen to much metal quite frankly, but I do absolutely love this little number called "Thunderhorse" by Dethklok. Guitar Hero 2, baby!

• I'm always up for a bit of metal, can't tolerate any of the crap that gets put out today for the most part. Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Motorhead, Pantera etc, always have time for a listen. Not my favorite genre of music but I'd take it every time over some of the 'artists' that put work together now. I'd jump at the chance to have one of them come in and do Skyfall for this year, if it meant the elephantine Adele kid or Bubble would miss out. But as stated before, I feel it may have been recorded by now, but heavy metal Bond intro?, that would be mighty fine for theater releases
    @Baltimore_007: I don't know that I'd consider Led Zeppelin metal as much as I would just straight up classic rock. I mean yeah, they were heavier for the day, like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, but I don't know that I'd categorize them in metal. Although, you might have a point there, because such songs like "Moby Dick", "Rock and Roll", and "Black Dog" shred out those riffs pretty heavy!
  • I love metal, however more of the older guys and I guess more of the better known bands.
    I am not an expert of the genre and if it gets too heavy on the Trash- and Death Metal department, I am not that much into it.

I love Sabbath, Maiden, Zeppelin, Motörhead, Judas Priest, Dio...fantastic Bands. I like my share of Metallica, though I never got that big hype.
    Slayer and In Flames are pretty good. Though of course, with so many sub

I took a look at Wikipedia, and they list Alice Cooper, early Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Mötley Crüe as Glam Metal... I would probably put Kiss on that list too....Big fan of those bands (though that might be inappropriate for that thread... ;-)
  • Regarding the hard rock v. metal thing, I for one doenst really make a clear distinction between them. I mean I did for a while, searching for new bands to listen to is made easier if you break it down to the smallest detail and have a name for it, like "progressive avant garde black metal" :P but when you look at it, genre distinction doesnt really matter, all that matters is if you like the music coming out from the speakers be it weird noises or catchy harmonies.

As for classic hard rock bands I have them (you know, most of the famous ones) on my playlist and dont skip forward when they come up, and they are ok, but there is so many more bands out there in the world, especially that have started up in the last decade, that are really good and will definitely become tomorrows Maiden, Metallica, Slayer and GnR. So to search after bands that arent as big yet could be very rewarding for your ears!
  • Oh I do that! I have a rich taste in music and got my share of young or lesser known bands, and not only in the rock genre.
    Just the more we dive into the specific sub-genres of metal...the more lost I will be.

I actually love to support upcoming bands and I am one of those who still buys cds ;-)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,767
    It started when I found out, while accidentally listening to I love it loud by Kiss, that Hard Rock has, totally contrary to my mother´s opinion, lots of beautiful melodies ad isn´t noise at all.
    Pretty soon I got a mixtape from a schoolfriend of my sister. That tape introduced me to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, and some others.
    And that was that.
    My next five or six years I spent listening to Metallica, Anthrax (shame that Bush isn´t singing with them anymore), and most importantly, Iron Maiden.
    Never had much love for most singers that came after Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, i.e. screamers and grunters.
    Then Pink Floyd came and went, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, RATM and Audioslave came and stayed, even now that I´m mostly listening to orchestral film soundtracks.
    And I wouldn´t consider it out of limits to re-buy the first eight Iron Maiden albums some day. They´re just so great. And I got a bt interested in Judas Priest´s pop experiments, eg Screaming for Vengeance.

Not Heavy Metal by any means, but the new ZZ Top album, La Futura, is surprisingly badass.