CATCHING BULLETS - Memoirs of a Bond Fan

Comments

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Justsh a bit of fun regarding Bond, love and marriagesh...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=335

Wint and Kidd were his bridesmaids. ;-)

Congratulations, Great Britain on showing the world that there's nothing to fear about gay marriage, only much to gain.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    In the world of high adventure, who needs a voiceover man on a trailer....?!

(No Maurice Binders were injured in the making of this trailer)

CATCHING BULLETS... the trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tt2HHaJWzcA
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    In the world of high adventure, who needs a voiceover man on a trailer....?!

(No Maurice Binders were injured in the making of this trailer)

CATCHING BULLETS... the trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tt2HHaJWzcA

Amazing!!! And the song is great, too.
    I'm currently reading 'Catching Bullets' and thoroughly enjoying it.

My love of Bond started in the 60s, a little earlier than Mark's, but he beautifully captures what it means to be a Bond fan and the links that the Bond enthusiasm can have with the highs and lows of our real lives over decades.

Highly recommended.

Thanks Peter!
    edited May 2013 Posts: 292
    Justsh a bit of fun regarding Bond, love and marriagesh...

Wint and Kidd were his bridesmaids. ;-)

Congratulations, Great Britain on showing the world that there's nothing to fear about gay marriage, only much to gain.

Quite. Not long now until the wedding bouquets start firing around The Lords.

CATCHING BULLETS on Facebook has been updated in recent times...

http://www.reelstreets.com/index.php?option=com_films_online&task=view&id=1025

.... including news of the book's September 2013 shortlisting for the POLARI FIRST BOOK PRIZE and the author's recent summer in America which included a few Bond related trips (the Sutton house from A VIEW TO A KILL has NOT changed one bit) plus a photo album of the 30th anniversary of OCTOPUSSY at Pinewood Studios and various Aston Martin / book sightings.

www.markoconnell.co.uk
    @Mark0Connell

saunders wrote:
    Being a Bond completest I ordered this book expecting it to be nothing special, but I have been amazed by just how good this book is, being roughly the same age I can relate to so much of it (I've done the pilgrimage to Amberley chalk pits and Sally Hibbens 'James Bond Movie Book' was also my favourite nostalgic reference book). This is a book obviously written by someone genuinely passionate about 007's world and while I agree with most of the authors views, even those I disagree with are argued in such a convincing and well reasoned manner that they have have made me think again on my hardened Bond opinions.
    But why I really like this book is not just the nostalgic identification, tons of 007 trivia or intelligent analysis of the films, it's the humour that's every page that is both warm and genuinely very funny, the line about "James Bond deflowering more than just Kananga's poppy fields" will keep me chuckling for weeks.
    I would recommend this book to everyone on this site because we can all identify with the trials and tribulations of growing up as a James Bond fan, even if we can't claim to have such a fantastic connection to the EON family.

"Oh and Saunders... thanks"

Thanks sir. Kind words there. And so much has happened since the book that a few of my childhood fantasy / Bond fan ambitions are now coming true.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited September 2013 Posts: 987
    Just read Catching Bullets for the second time while on holiday, it's still a great read and one of my personnel favourite books about Bond, this should be required reading for every fan brought up in Britain in the 70's and 80's.

@CatchingBullets I've two questions if you don't mind, the first being have you ever read 'From Stockport with Love' by David Bowker, while thematically very different it has some similarities being a partially autobiographical work written by an author with a very similar sense of humour and knowledge of the world of 007, and if so what did you think of it?

My second question is that I'm interested to know if you have any more Bond related works planned, as so often in the past good authors have come and written great and exhaustive books about aspects of James Bond and then afterwards unfathomably decided to go and write books about other subjects instead. I hope you will write more Bond related books as I've thoroughly enjoyed your book and praised it here, on other sites and Amazon (It's probably a good job that I don't understand things like Twitter and Facebook or I might start sounding like a crazed stalker), anyway thanks for a great read.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 292
    saunders wrote:
    Just read Catching Bullets for the second time while on holiday, it's still a great read and one of my personnel favourite books about Bond, this should be required reading for every fan brought up in Britain in the 70's and 80's.

@CatchingBullets I've two questions if you don't mind, the first being have you ever read 'From Stockport with Love' by David Bowker, while thematically very different it has some similarities being a partially autobiographical work written by an author with a very similar sense of humour and knowledge of the world of 007, and if so what did you think of it?

My second question is that I'm interested to know if you have any more Bond related works planned, as so often in the past good authors have come and written great and exhaustive books about aspects of James Bond and then afterwards unfathomably decided to go and write books about other subjects instead. I hope you will write more Bond related books as I've thoroughly enjoyed your book and praised it here, on other sites and Amazon (It's probably a good job that I don't understand things like Twitter and Facebook or I might start sounding like a crazed stalker), anyway thanks for a great read.

Hey Saunders,

I was aware of FROM STOCKPORT WITH LOVE and own it somewhere but I deliberately avoided such work for obvious reasons when writing CATCHING BULLETS.

As I suggested at the end of the final chapter 'Mark O'Connell Will Return' and I am far from done with all things 007. What the book is triggering for me as a Bond fan and as a writer is another book in itself (there is SO much to tell, all good)! In recent times I have been able to FINALLY have some of the childhood Bond fan ambitions threaded throughout the book quite brilliantly realised.

Watch this space for the second book...

Shame you are not on Facebook. The CATCHING BULLETS page has some interesting summer snaps.
    Looks like I might just have to take the plunge and join Facebook, thanks for your fast response @CatchingBullets it's a real privilege to be able to express my sincere thanks to you for writing such an amazing book (Feel free to quote me on your next book cover, though judging by the quality of some of my posts it may catastrophically damage your book sales) ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    saunders wrote:
    Looks like I might just have to take the plunge and join Facebook, thanks for your fast response @CatchingBullets it's a real privilege to be able to express my sincere thanks to you for writing such an amazing book (Feel free to quote me on your next book cover, though judging by the quality of some of my posts it may catastrophically damage your book sales) ;)

I think you have admirable syntax, @saunders. Truly.

I think you have admirable syntax, @saunders. Truly.

That's very kind of you to say so @0BradyM0Bondfanatic :) I'm actually dyslexic and although I have no problems reading I do suffer great frustrations while trying to write, so even the simplest of posts can take forever (this may explain a few things for those poor members unfortunate enough to have suffered my less legible posts).

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I find your posts very well written @saunders, much more than some other members. I would never have guessed you are dyslexic.
    I really need to buy this book, the more I read about the more curious I am.
    Sandy wrote:
    I find your posts very well written @saunders, much more than some other members. I would never have guessed you are dyslexic.
    I really need to buy this book, the more I read about the more curious I am.

Thanks @Sandy, you really should buy this book, I know I go on about it, but it really is a tremendous read for any Bond fan, I've read just about all the published books written associated with 007 and this one has certainly the most heart and is genuinely very funny.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I'm ordering mine this weekend. :)
    I wish I could say that some of my Bondian fantasies and childhood dreams have come true ... ;)

Good for you, Mark! :-bd (book and dreams/ambitions coming true ...)
    I wish I could say that some of my Bondian fantasies and childhood dreams have come true ... ;)

I'll be interested to know your opinion about the book @4EverBonded, I think you'll be very impressed.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It sounds great. :) But it will take me well over a month to get it, I am guessing. That's the way it goes here in Japan. I'll definitely let everyone know as soon as I've read it.
    CATCHING BULLETS has been shortlisted for a leading literary prize in the UK.

We are all very chuffed!

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=862
    I just ordered a copy. Can't wait to read it!

Randy
    Christmas isn't Christmas without James Bond 007....

Catch some bullets for the Bond and film fan in your life... (even better if it's you!)

CATCHING BULLETS - MEMOIRS OF A BOND FAN available now....

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=1045
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,816
    Very nice, @CatchingBullets. I got your book off Amazon, now I really must make a point and read it! You've also reminded me that I need to peruse your blog too!

It got better....(!) and Christmas 2013 came early...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=919#comment-7208

Did you know more men have played Ian Fleming onscreen than James Bond 007?

Catching FLEMING - Sky Atlantic & BBC America's Bond genesis drama reviewed.

http://markoconnell.co.uk/?p=1146
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Good to see the UK gets it first, if only by two days. Thanks for the review.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Very nice, @CatchingBullets. I got your book off Amazon, now I really must make a point and read it! You've also reminded me that I need to peruse your blog too!

No worries. Hope you got/get to read it sometime.
    I have started a thread on Facebook - BOND FANS BEING BOND FANS... you will get the drift but if anyone fancies adding their best, coolest, not coolest, oldest, newest photos of their Bond fan activities that would be great....

Yes, that is possibly myself in a bad rip off Roger blazer!

https://www.facebook.com/catchingbullets/photos/a.413377045359317.97372.407779922585696/709089899121362/?type=1&theater
    CATCHING BULLETS went and caught BOND IN MOTION and its launch event... photos here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.743134802383538.1073741839.407779922585696&type=1
    Dennis Gassner better be having long chats with Ken Adam.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    He was.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    He was.

Good to know. I hope this shows in Bond 24.