CONTROVERSIAL: Bond 23 should be the last film in the modern continuity

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 503
In QOS, the circle of Bond-dem was complete as James Bond became a 00 agent again. I think Bond 23 should showcase Bond on his first real mission as 007, and be the last Bond film in the modern continuity.

I would love to see EON start making '50s or '60s period pieces, because that's where Bond belongs — <b><i>in the 20th century</i></b>. The gritty Craig reboot was a nice attempt to make Bond modern, but it's barely distinguishable anymore from the dozens of other similar series like Bourne. If it continues in the current fashion, it's going to become stale again and people will want another Brosnan-type era.

What we have now just isn't Fleming's Bond. In my (controversial) opinion, in order to make it Bond (and relevant) again, they need to start making period pieces. Just look at how successful <i>Mad Men</i> is. Hire a young actor, and continue the series from where Bond 23 left off, but in a 20th century setting. Bond will be able to smoke again, be sexist, and be all the things Fleming wrote him to be.

Does ANYONE agree?

Comments

• I'd love to see Bond in its original setting - ie the 1950s and 1960s, but it just isnt gonna happen. Shame.
    yea they are making this more like Bourne series.but remember Bourne isnt Bond and Bond will film its 23rd (maybe more if we count not EON/MGM movies) sequel of series and Bourne stopped at 3.
    They MUST bring back old Bond.they can do it in modern time too.i just want old Bond back
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 303
    Quoting dragonsky:
    yea they are making this more like Bourne series.but remember
    Bourne isnt Bond and Bond will film its 23rd (maybe more if we count not EON/MGM
    movies) sequel of series and Bourne stopped at 3.
    I'm pretty sure that they're making more bourne films...

Plus i just can't see EON going back in time for the settings.
    I would like to see the accurate original novels but then i won't get any new bond films so I'm happy enough this way
    Kind of early in this new forum to have a duplicate, no?

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/334/a-james-bond-period-pieces
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Sounds like a great idea to me. CR'06 was great for the most part but QOS squandered its prequel's promise. Returning Bond to the Cold War of the 1950s and 1960s via period pieces would be great. Maybe make them in black and white?
    Unfortunately the only people who really want a period piece is us Bond fans. I don't think the public at large will pay the box office tickets to see that. Plus the real detraction will be the lack of the lucrative product placements that EON would have to give up.

As far as Bond being Bourne, yes, I can see the similarity in QoS editing and the Bourne movies (nothing from CR makes me think Bourne). However keep in mind that this is not the first time Bond has been influenced by other movies. The Bond series has not been original since the 60s. LALD was influenced by Blaxpoitation films, TMWTGG influenced by Hong Kong martial arts films, MR influenced by Star Wars, LTK influenced by Miami Vice and 80s action/drug films, Brosnan films influenced by Die Hard and other 90s action films etc. QoS is no different from rest of those films.
    WOuld love to see this but it won't happen. Doesn't stop someone else from making 60's style spy thrillers. I would support that.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I would love to see Craig go back and become James Bond as Connery had it. I would love if they had an actor similar to Benard Lee as M and refilm some classic scenes, as though Connery was never there.
    No, No, NO
    3 reasons why
    1. Craig has the option of a 4th film
    2. The only way to go back wards at this point would be to do something like silverfin
    Quoting Bond: What we have now just isn't Fleming's Bond. In my (controversial) opinion, in order to make it Bond (and relevant) again
    This is the nearest we've ever had to fleming's bond
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Quoting Virage:
    Quoting Bond: What we have now just isn't Fleming's Bond. In my (controversial) opinion, in order to make it Bond (and relevant) again
    This is the nearest we've ever had to fleming's bond
    If I had to nail my colours to the mast, I'd probably claim that too. But it is a very arguable point, methinks...