EDWARD WOODWARD APPRECIATION FORUM

edited August 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,548
While browsing through Amazon to purchase Equalizer box sets, I was just thinking what a great M the late great EW would have made. What a fantastic actor. The Wicker Man is still one of the scariest films of all time and his period in the 80's as Robert McCall was very very cool. Anyone else agree?

Comments

• oo7oo7
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEOQqnHMSMc?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEOQqnHMSMc?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    He could've definetly been a great M, really good actor.

His performance in Wicker Man was oscar worthy I reckon, shame Nick Cage basically crapped on it with the remake (I like Nick Cage but who's idea was it casting him in that role? just made a bad film worse)

I love The Wicker Man and I thought he was funny in Hot Fuzz. Never watched The Equalizer though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Count me in on the appreciation. I've seen the first series of The Equalizer (that was the only series to be released on DVD here), The Wicker Man, Callan (the '74 film) and Hot Fuzz and I have liked what I have seen from him acting wise.

For my full cast Bond timeline, I will be casting Woodward as M for Dalton's last 3 90's Bond films and Purefoy's 1st film. It's not much, but it shows that I would have been interested in seeing him as M.

Also, this is not news, so I have moved this thread to General Movies & TV.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Woodward is great. I really like his work.
    I've seen the first series of The Equalizer (that was the only series to be released on DVD here).

Series two has been released and the third is released on 1st October.

I'm going to wait for the fourth and final one to be released and then watch the series in one go. Well, not all at once, of course! ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I've seen the first series of The Equalizer (that was the only series to be released on DVD here).

Series two has been released and the third is released on 1st October.

Really?

EDIT
    I've checked Amazon, S2 was released in March. I wish I had not sold off my copy of S1. I only sold it becuase I didn't think Network were going to continue to release the other series. Cheers for the head up, Sam. :)
    We, in the UK (well, everywhere bar the US) get the complete release of S1 as well, with the music intact. The US get no music and have not had the other series released either. At last they get short changed. ;)
    The Equalizer is one of my all time favorite TV shows, I still have many of my VHS taped that I recorded when the show was on first run in the 80's. In fact it was because of the Equalizer why I fell in love with jags.

It is too bad they have only released season 1 on DVD here in the US, I would love to get my hands on the rest of the series.
    Import it, that's what I would do!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,143
    He was fantastic in the Equalizer. Great show. I was late in coming to watch the Wickerman but wow, his performance was amazing. It now ranks as one of my favourite all time horror movies. Shame he never got to be in a Bond movie.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    The greatest TV theme ever? Surely one of the very, very best... B-)

• St_George wrote:
    The greatest TV theme ever? Surely one of the very, very best... B-)

Cheers for posting that. Brings back great memories.
    I had always wanted to see Woodward as a Bond villain.
  • I appreciate this thread. The late Woodward would have made a fine M, he certainly understood the gruff, no nonsense edge of Bernard Lee's portrayal.

I'll have to get this sooner or later, I used to love it in the 1990's when USA network would show this and "Counterstrike" back to back. I enjoyed Woodward's performance in this show, although there were the occasional times I thought he was a little heavy handed and hammy where he didn't need to be.