Luther (2010 - 2015)

edited November 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,517
While not equal to Sherlock, Luther has much to recommend. Having first been introduced to the super cool, super calm Stringer Bell on The Wire, I had no idea Idris Elba was a Brit. Anyone else share my thoughts that this is also a great series with a brilliant, but tormented detective? As with Sherlock, also in season two.

Comments

It's quite entertaining. Somehow Idriss is less convincing as a Brit than he was as Stringer Bell though. BTw, was gutted when they killed off Stringer in the Wire.
    Very good show! I hope they do a third series because the potential of it is overflowing :P
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    A third series of 4 episodes will be out next year. That's not a lot of it but I'll take what I can get!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Idris is a Hackney boy just like me, so he gets a lot of live from East London.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think it's very entertaining and a great role for Idris, a little bit too preposterous at times with a number of plot holes but better than most of the UK crime drama's the Swedish, Danes and the French make better crime drama then we do.

I much prefer The Killing, The Bridge & Spiral , I'm sure you are aware that Idris is indeed a Brit whether you find him convincing or not? Personally it was a little strange getting use to his native accent after watching 3 incredible series of The Wire (still officially my fav TV show) as Stringer Bell but now I'm use to it.
  • I think it's great. Can't wait for the 3rd series.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I watched series one in a day when BBC had a marathon back to back for the episodes. Since then I am ashamed to say I haven't seen any other series from the show.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Shardlake wrote:
    I think it's very entertaining and a great role for Idris, a little bit too preposterous at times with a number of plot holes but better than most of the UK crime drama's the Swedish, Danes and the French make better crime drama then we do.

I much prefer The Killing, The Bridge & Spiral , I'm sure you are aware that Idris is indeed a Brit whether you find him convincing or not? Personally it was a little strange getting use to his native accent after watching 3 incredible series of The Wire (still officially my fav TV show) as Stringer Bell but now I'm use to it.

I know he's a Brit. it's just that after the Wire I can't help seeing him as an American. its almost like his real accent sounds like the fake one. plus its hard to see how he will ever find another role quite so good as stringer.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    plus its hard to see how he will ever find another role quite so good as stringer.

Welllll....

I know that's controversial, and it'll never happen, but I reckon he could pull it off.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Just bought the series 1-3 boxset of Luther on a whim. I hope it's as good as it looks! £15 in Tesco currently, for anyone that may be interested.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I like Idris a lot, that is why I have enjoyed the shows of Luther that I have seen.
    But I do not always enjoy the way the stories progressed at times or how characters changed, etc. I will watch any and all Luther episodes, though, because for me Idris Elba is that compelling and enjoyable to watch.
    I like Idris a lot, that is why I have enjoyed the shows of Luther that I have seen.
    But I do not always enjoy the way the stories progressed at times or how characters changed, etc. I will watch any and all Luther episodes, though, because for me Idris Elba is that compelling and enjoyable to watch.

And he could be a future Mr Big, too?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    ...Or any other Bond villain in general for that matter.
    doubleoego wrote:
    ...Or any other Bond villain in general for that matter.

By all means, certainly.
    Idris Elba anytime, but Luther I didn´t find too overwhelming.
    Dragonpol wrote:

And he could be a future Mr Big, too?

My dream cast for Mr Big.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Idris Elba anytime, but Luther I didn´t find too overwhelming.

Idris Elba was amazing as Stringer Bell, but I never managed to enjoy Luther. I watched two episodes I think. It struck me as a run of the mill serial killers show, so basically a whodunit with more blood and less tea.
  • He's not going to be Mr Big because Mr Big won't be in another Bond film. I doubt EON will ever resort to remaking films (and no they won't redo them as faithful adaptions of the books either).
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,824
    He's not going to be Mr Big because Mr Big won't be in another Bond film. I doubt EON will ever resort to remaking films (and no they won't redo them as faithful adaptions of the books either).

By Mr Big I meant Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, NOT Kananga. The Spangs can appear too, in a new setting and plot. And even if they never make Mr Big, which I grant you is quite likely, IF they were to use the character, then Elba would be my dream cast.