Goldfinger_Mono Version?

edited August 2012 in Music Posts: 68
I was reading that a Mono version of Goldfinger was recorded and that this version is apparently different from the more familiar film and soundtrack version. Wikipedia is not clear if only the mono version was produced by George Martin with Jimmy Page on guitar, or if both versions were produced by Martin with Page on guitar. Does anyone know? Also is the mono version currently available anywhere?

Comments

Shirley recorded two versions of this song. She recorded the soundtrack to the movie, 'Goldfinger' and then she recorded a version to be sold as a 'single.' I believe it's the single version that has Jimmy Page on guitar. I think the stereo version is longer at 2:48 whilst the mono version is 2:46 but both were produced by Martin. There's very little difference in both versions apart from the obvious. Martin also produced From Russia With Love with Matt Munro. It was the norm in the 60s to produce 2 versions of an album, one in stereo and the other in mono. The Beatles also did this with an alternative version of the White Album being found in mono which is a true collector's item.

You can find both Goldfinger versions on the Gunslinger album here...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/goldsinger-the-best-of-shirley-bassey-mw0000425688