The Official London 2012 Olympics/Paralympics Thread

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Desperate to view any part live but realize now, sadly, that there is no answer for that for me here in Japan. Hoping for a full dvd, showing the entire opening and closing ceremonies and I don't mind paying a pretty penny for it either. Cheers to everyone! These particular games by all acounts have been outstanding!

Isn't there a live stream on youtube?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Sandy wrote:
    Desperate to view any part live but realize now, sadly, that there is no answer for that for me here in Japan. Hoping for a full dvd, showing the entire opening and closing ceremonies and I don't mind paying a pretty penny for it either. Cheers to everyone! These particular games by all acounts have been outstanding!

Isn't there a live stream on youtube?

Everything I have tried is blocked, including youtube. :(

• Well done London 2012. Great success. Massive well done to Team GB. You really are the Great in Britain!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Russell Brand on top of a bus singing the tune from Willy Wonkas Chocolate factory?

After we've put on such an amazing Olympics it seems we've just nicked the last gold as well - in the shark jump.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Russell Brand, seriously? Couldn't they find an ex junkie who's achieved something.
  • I'm fine with Russel Brand being there, at least he's entertaining. Unlike One Direction, who's idea was that?
    I'm fine with Russel Brand being there, at least he's entertaining. Unlike One Direction, who's idea was that?

Yeah fair point. Just filler I suppose but I can think of about a billion other people who are more deserving and would have surely done it for free just for the experience.

Just as long as they dont wheel out sodding Mcartney again at the end.
  • I'm enjoying the music. Certainly a varied mix! Something for everyone.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Oh I think Paul is making a return, just a guess ... I love him, actually. :)
    I am just reading about it on BBC live text; seems like the tribute to Lennon was really sublime.

Oh a thought - can anyone tell me if T Rex's Bang a Gong/Get It On was anywhere in the mix? I surely hope so!

Reading comments on BBC and a couple of people mention bad sound - how does it sound to you? Good audio or not mixed well? Rather important when blasting music around a stadium and around the world ...
    Queen with Jessie J, thinking about it........Heck NO.

Having heard it..........Mmm better than I expected.

So far Madness is my favorite. Looking forward thet the Brazilian bit.
    SaintMark wrote:

Boris in a Brazil shirt handing the torch to Pele anyone?

SaintMark wrote:

Boris in a Brazil shirt handing the torch to Pele anyone?

As long as Boris doesn't torch Pele. :D
  • RC7RC7
    I'm astonished at the performance of Team GB. For a country this size it's almost unbelievable. Pro rata, with a population the size of the US we'd have triple their medal haul.
    They (Great Britain) did well getting a third place, but cream always rises to the top and the best nation took the honors this year.

yes, Guatemala did very well this year.

RC7 wrote:
    I'm astonished at the performance of Team GB. For a country this size it's almost unbelievable. Pro rata, with a population the size of the US we'd have triple their medal haul.

Thats why we have the word 'Great' in front our name old chap.

Look at India and Brazil with their populations and less golds combined than Yorkshire, Wales and Scotland.
  • RC7 wrote:

Exactly. Whilst finishing third is incredible and richly deserved, in terms of head per population we were actually the stand out nation of the entire games. As some one else commented the cream does rise to the top and the best was not as they stated but us - Team GB!! Well done to Team GB, and all the nations of the world for making this an incredible Olympics!!!
    Was it wrong of me to wish one of the the Spice girls fell off their London taxis?
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Beautiful nod to our very own John Barry as the torch died out. Well done David Arnold. Great show:-)
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    actonsteve wrote:
    Was it wrong of me to wish one of the the Spice girls fell off their London taxis?

It'd be wrong if you didn't.
    Beautiful nod to our very own John Barry as the torch died out. Well done David Arnold. Great show:-)

Oh what was the nod to John Barry? A medley? I can't wait to get to see this online and dvd after the fact.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Mr Arnold chose the bugle solo from Dances With Wolves - very poignant and very fitting. Lovely stuff. ;-)
  • where can we hear the music from Arnold in the ceremony?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A very well done closing on the whole I thought. It sure was great, Britain.
    Actually proud to be British and its not often you can say that in recent years.

Jubilee and Olympics have both gone swimmingly, just the main event of 2012 to come - for Christs sake EON dont cock it up. I really hope theres some quality patriotic stuff in SF with Bond defending the realm and plenty of Union Jacks just to make us proud once again this year.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    You can beat Union Jack's and British symbolism will feature in the title sequence. With Skyfall being a damn good film to boot, it should again mean something to be British and be a great capper to an ace year.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Well done London. You put on a great Olympiad.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/asadauskaite-wins-pentathlon-gold-last-medal-awarded-174156822--oly.html

Modern pentathlon was hailed as a "James Bond" sport on Sunday

Interesting, and when you think about it, it's true.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Fencing = DAD
    Swimming = TB
    Horse Riding = AVTAK
    Running = CR
    Shooting = Let's go with TMWTGG

I can see it.
    where can we hear the music from Arnold in the ceremony?
    Arnolds role was Music Director so he chose artists, mixed the cues and decided song order alongside the creative director. You wont hear specific Arnold suites as such but he did work on the instrumental dance numbers. All in all pretty well orchestrated ( pun most definitley intended)
    ;-)
  • Actually proud to be British and its not often you can say that in recent years.

Jubilee and Olympics have both gone swimmingly, just the main event of 2012 to come - for Christs sake EON dont cock it up. I really hope theres some quality patriotic stuff in SF with Bond defending the realm and plenty of Union Jacks just to make us proud once again this year.

It was awesome last night - brilliant opening ceremony and fantastic rock concert ending.

Eric Idle and Queen stole the show. Simply wow.