NowPlayingPodcast's James Bond series (SKYFALL!!!!)

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DarthDimi wrote:
    DN, the novel is up:

http://www.booksandnachos.com/episode.htm?id=79

I like Stuart's view here. Totally agreeing with mine.

Same here, no complaints. It's a very fun book, at times it reminds me a lot of Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. Considering Spielberg is a Bond fan maybe it even served as inspiration, who knows?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, I thought so too. Spielberg expressed interest in doing a Bond and TBH, I think a DN kind of story would have suited him best. That, or MR (the novel).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I remember Dr. No being my favorite book; sexy ending, too.
    FRWL was my second favorite, but I am re-reading all of them now.
    I remember Dr. No being my favorite book; sexy ending, too.
    FRWL was my second favorite, but I am re-reading all of them now.

I need to get hold of them again. I was waiting for the new ebooks to come out, I simply don't want to leave all my books behind when I move again [-(
    This was a strange podcast? I never noticed anything in Stromberg's hands though I must have watched this one dozens of times. Am I blind? I have to rewatch the film.
    I had the very same response, @Sandy! :) However I did enjoy their honesty. They recognize the fact that fans are enthusiastic about the film but are willing to debate the points they find distracting.
    Goldfinger review up in Books and Nachos (http://www.booksandnachos.com/episode.htm?id=80), listening to it now :)
    Sandy wrote:
    Goldfinger review up in Books and Nachos (http://www.booksandnachos.com/episode.htm?id=80), listening to it now :)

Thank you, @Sandy!

Great podcast IMO. Stuart's final sentiment, about
    the book being not quite as good as the film
    is something I very much agree with. Too bad Brock will take over next week, not because I have issues with Brock or anything (which for the record I don't have) but because it breaks the continuity and I'd have been interested in hearing Stuart's response to some of the latter novels.
    I also think the fact that Brock will take over from now on breaks the continuity. I would prefer having the opinion of the same person for the whole set of books.

About Goldfinger, it's one of the few I haven't read so I can't say anything about it. But the podcast made me quite curious!
    Sandy wrote:
    I also think the fact that Brock will take over from now on breaks the continuity. I would prefer having the opinion of the same person for the whole set of books.

About Goldfinger, it's one of the few I haven't read so I can't say anything about it. But the podcast made me quite curious!

You should consider reading it, @Sandy. It has cool moments for sure.
    I will @DarthDimi. At the moment I made a promise not to buy more books. I simply have no space for them and it hurt to much when I moved here to leave everything behind, I don't want to do that again. I will be getting an ebook reader soon and then I can get all the Bond books without worrying ;)
    Sorry for double-posting but the Moonraker review is up. I'm listening to it as I write and so far it's hilarious!
    http://www.nowplayingpodcast.com/Podcasts/NPPBOND12.MP3
    Indeed, @Sandy! A great and funny conversation. (The bloopers are gold!) However I cannot agree with the guys. MR is a most enjoyable film IMO, mainly because I've learned to look past the plot. I find the music, special effects, settings, ... tremendous. They hardly pay attention to those though. That said, some well-made comments in here. Good show!
    edited September 2012 Posts: 4,012
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Indeed, @Sandy! A great and funny conversation. (The bloopers are gold!) However I cannot agree with the guys. MR is a most enjoyable film IMO, mainly because I've learned to look past the plot. I find the music, special effects, settings, ... tremendous. They hardly pay attention to those though. That said, some well-made comments in here. Good show!

Yes, although it's one of my least favourite Bond films I can still watch it and enjoy it, which is more than I can say about at least one other film. But I had a good laugh listening to this podcast. Highly recomend :-bd
    edited September 2012 Posts: 4,012
    For Your Eyes Only book review up in Books and Nachos http://www.booksandnachos.com/episode.htm?id=81

EDIT: Just part one of the review. This one focuses only on The Hildebrand Rarity and Quantum of Solace.
    The dynamic has somewhat changed for the book reviews with Brock taking over from Stuart but I found the comments interesting and certainly just! :-)
    DarthDimi wrote:

Listened to it yesterday, it's my favourite Moore Bond though I tend to watch Octopussy a lot more times for reasons that escape my understanding :) I don't find the plot confusing at all, it's quite straightforward. Of course the ending is just ridiculous but the rest is a quite solid film and probably the best of Moore's performances as Bond.
    FYEO book part 2 is up (Risico and A View to a Kill).

http://www.booksandnachos.com/episode.htm?id=82

As usual, great podcasts, the both of them, although I find Stuart a slightly more interesting reviewer of books than Brock.
    Loved the podcast!! Quite nice to have them all agree on this one.
  • Yes I agree on that @DarthDimi! Which was the last one that got 3 recommends? LALD? So it was great to see some love for a outing again! Very excited for their opinion on Dalton in a few weeks.
    Same here! Looking forward to hearing them talk about TLD, LTK and the rest of the lot. But first: NSNA and AVTAK... ;-)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 127
    I read The Battle For Bond right now so the NSNA podcast will tie together nicely with the book!
    I also loved it, they had as much fun as I usually have watching the film. It's so silly, yet I can't help but watch it over and over again. Good to see 3 recommends.
    So, lot's of new things coming out at the same time. Third part of FYEO book review is up on Books and Nachos.
    http://www.booksandnachos.com/episode.htm?id=83
    Sorry for triple posting, but it's the only way to make it show up in first page :\">
    and nobody is posting comments here anymore. @DarthDimi could you update the thread title?
    Review of NSNA is up http://www.nowplayingpodcast.com/Podcasts/NPPBOND15.MP3
    Interestingly one the the words that stand out from this review is stink, I can relate :)
    Awesome podcast this one! Love how they disagree about a number of things. ;-)