Harmonics

edited July 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 1,525
In London for the summer, seeing the sights and currently reading Stephen King's 11/22/63, an interesting
journey-back-into-the past-novel that reminds me of a similar novel Replay, which I am still hoping someone will make into a film. Anyway, King's novel explores events leading up to the Kennedy assassination. Those of us who remember DN and FRWL remember 11/22/63 with an eerie clarity. It was a time of Bond, The Beatles, Camelot, etc.

In his novel, King refers to a convergence of events from a stubborn past that doesn't want to be changed as harmonics.
And so it seems this summer has been one of harmonics, a convergence of reminders from the past. As I have read King's novel, I have visited the Barbican and the Designing Bond exhibit. Today I saw what was surely the inspiration for the capsule swallowing rocket from YOLT in the museum of science. Last week I saw Chris Nolan, who's been mentioned in these discussions as a possible Bond director. And today I saw the original piece of art work Yoko Ono enthralled John Lennon with--connection? Lennon, Beatles, McCartney and Wings, LALD.

All very powerful reminders of those days and times baby boomers hold near and dear.

Not really a discussion, more of a few thoughts about the power and lasting effects of images and icons.

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Not only images and icons, but smells and sound as well. Some smells can get me back fifteen years standing on New Zealand's shores. Some sounds remind me in full clarity the city of Bangkok, now five years ago. I hope these will be as vivid in twenty to thirty years' time as they are today.