Red Grant Garotte Watch

JrW_008JrW_008 The North
edited July 2012 in Fan Creations Posts: 112
Does anyone know how you would make a replica of Red Grant's garotte watch eg what you would need and how to assemble it? Has anyone on the boards tried to make one before? Or does anyone know where I could purchase a replica?
Cheers

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Anybody here who doesn't automatically assume you're going to use it for murder concerns me.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    Haha! Already had concerned looks from my parents when I asked them if they could help me out. Just always thought it one of the coolest gadgets from the films and easier than a Golden Gun courtesy of Scaramanga to attempt to make. No plans of commiting murder, just something I've always wanted...
    A garotte? Something you´ve always wanted? hum hum...

[-X

Maybe next Christmas.
    Univex wrote:

[-X

Maybe next Christmas.

It's a significant Bond gadgets, I find it hard to believe that anyone on these boards would commit murder. I know for sure that I have no intentions of using it in a harmful sense, you can make what you like of it. Discussion was started to see if anyone could advise on how to make a replica. Also, what need was there to attemp to put me down with regard to my age in your last sentence?

JrW_008 wrote:
    Univex wrote:

[-X

Maybe next Christmas.

It's a significant Bond gadgets, I find it hard to believe that anyone on these boards would commit murder. I know for sure that I have no intentions of using it in a harmful sense, you can make what you like of it. Discussion was started to see if anyone could advise on how to make a replica. Also, what need was there to attemp to put me down with regard to my age in your last sentence?

lol, none. I have no idea what age you are @JrW_008 :) Chill.
    About the watch, I just had a bit of fun with you because I have no idea how to build one. One macabre gadget, that one. Anyways, good luck mate.
    I 'take the bait' to easily... #-o
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I doubt you could make it without taking out all the workings of the watch. After that you just need a length of wire and some sort of mechanism from one of those retracable tape measures I would think. As Bond gadgets go its not the hardest to engineer.

Would be nice if that company who made the golden gun replica (I forget the name) were to make one but of course will never happen due to the health and safety brigade wetting their pants.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The cheap way to make it would be to use one of those ID card clip holders with the retractable strings, and attach it to the bottom of the watch. As an Amateur prop maker, I like making things the cheap and inventive way! :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I doubt you could make it without taking out all the workings of the watch. After that you just need a length of wire and some sort of mechanism from one of those retracable tape measures I would think. As Bond gadgets go its not the hardest to engineer.

Well, maybe you could use a larger watch, and put the length of wire outside the watch mechanisms, but still within the watch itself.

Would be nice if that company who made the golden gun replica (I forget the name) were to make one but of course will never happen due to the health and safety brigade wetting their pants.

I've got the mechanism from a retractable cord thing and I plan on using that, it's the getting it into the watch and having it function once housed inside that I am clueless about.
    Yes, I know the company your talking about, but like you I cannot remember their name.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Well, maybe you could use a larger watch, and put the length of wire outside the watch mechanisms, but still within the watch itself.

Think this is what I am going to try and do. Firstly I need a large enough watch, so off to see the father about that, and then to the part where I attempt to assemble it...
    I'll see ya in the news, my friend. If I find out somebody was strangled with a garrote wire, I'll know it was you ;)
    Why would anybody want to make, or possess a Grant type 'Garotte watch', what kind of atrocities was you thinking of perpetrating?

In all seriousness, as a part of the Bond merchandise list, it is one of the more familiar or Iconic symbols of Bond villainy, I think in the right hands of a Bond enthusiast and they wanted one as a symbol of their Bond fandom, or part of their 007 collection, it seems fair enough. Never tried to assemble one, or had a desire to own one though

Next thing you know, someone will be asking for a pair of Klebb type shoes with poison tipped spikes..
    If you want a 'safe' one, I'm sure you could take the mechanism from one of those key-chain features that allows you to expand the string out, and it pulls it back in. Not sure it'd be easy to conceal though. But it's just a string, so it'd give the impression without the (non-existent) danger. :)
  • No one at The Replica Prop Forum has made one and that would be the most likely place to see one...I think that you're on your own trying to figure out how to make one.
    @Baltimore_007 it is indeed for my small but growing Bond collection. And like @JWESTBROOK suggested it is the mechanism with a string, not a wire like the genuine deadly item.
    @thelordflasheart could you direct me to the replica prop forum for reference on other items. Cheers