School shooting in Indiana,USA - time to crackdown on guns ?

2»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There are actually two sides on this problem. 1) Why abolish something when one lunatic makes improper use of it? 2) We're talking about guns, not barbie dolls. Wouldn't it indeed be wise to forbid gun possession?

In the end, I find it to be a painfully difficult debate. If everyone on the planet destroyed their guns, it would be a safer place, I suppose. But even if there's a law against gun possession, there are always methods to obtain one nevertheless. And those who do, usually have some screwed up plans. That awareness often leads to the logical (?) conclusion that we should arm ourselves too, just in case. Also, define a 'weapon'. A gun can cause serious damage, but so can a kitchen knife or even a self-made bow. More subtle ways to kill in great numbers exist, even without bullets. These crazy bomb recipes for example, freely accessible on the internet, they creep me out. As a chemist, I can judge how easy it is to obtain the materials and to prepare the required mixtures. It’s frightening.

I’m all for balance, although I’m aware it cannot be reached without trouble now and then. If it were up to me, we’d abolish guns right away. But like the war on drugs, this will also mean a never ending hunt on a clandestine gun market.
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    Assault rifles should be banned. Period. These weapons are not designed for defense they're designed for destruction.

Hand Guns and Hunting Rifles should be sold but strictly monitored. We have the technology to put RFID chips in passorts then why not in guns?