Maryam at LFCC

edited July 2012 in Actors Posts: 1,639
Well , I was there yesterday.......she was texting and basically couldn't care less , barely looking up.....a thank you when you've bought 6 autos from her would've been nice.

Gill Anderson , Danielle Harris , Mike Winslow , Nick Lea & Mith Pileggi were on the other hand very pleasant.....Winslow seemed humbled/shy that fans wanted to see him. He has that Robin Williams kind of spirit , it's impossible for him not to be funny lol

Comments

Glad I did not go now - would of bothered me that she could not bothered. Every person pays £15 for a quick pic and a autograph. Easy life if you can get it!

I did want to go just to see John Simms, but due to a flood at my house on saturday, I had to pull out. Going to wait and see who is going to Autographica later in the year. Was there alot of Bond merchandise on offer Tracy ?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Sad to hear. Everyone needs to take a page from Sir Rog when it comes to applying massive enthusiasm for Bond-related events.
  • Definitely puzzling. Maryam has generally been a solid ambassador for the series with her BGAF project and personal appearances. Agreed that not at least saying "Thank You" to those who appreciate you is poor etiquette.
    Maybe she just had a bad day or illness in family or something......I've never heard any neg stories about her before. It's like when I met David Hedison , he just was in a cranky mood that day.

I didn't see any 007 merch whatsoever , brought my own stuff......some very rare TLD stuff , gonne take pix soon. Sadly Burt Kwouk was not there at Sat so missed him :/
    Maryam is rapidly becoming my least favourite Bond girl. I have been watching her being interviewed since 1987 and I cant but help she expected better things then being a Bond girl. There is a tinge in BGAF that is difficult to explain. That she is slightly resigned and annoyed that this is what she is going to be known for in her career.

She should take a leaf out of Jill St Johns book who still loves being a Bond girl.

I wonder if Maryam is annoyed that her career has come to this. Selling autographs for £15 a throw at a nerdy convention.

Of course she could just be having a bad day
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    She's on bbc4 tonight talking about her brain haemorrhage. That would be enought to wipe the smile off anyone's face.
    However anybody feels about her personally, that would bring things into sharp focus. I didn't like her Milovy character, was merely an 1980's equivalent of Pussy Galore for me or Holly Goodhead even, bland, dull and colorless, sometimes you don't even notice she's there. Maybe d'Abo was just having a bad day perhaps, we've all experienced them, I've known her to be quite accomodating and helpful on occasion
    Chevron wrote:
    She's on bbc4 tonight talking about her brain haemorrhage. That would be enought to wipe the smile off anyone's face.

yes, I read that this morning. She had a brain embolism. I will cut her some slack. That is enough to screw anyone up.

I feel quite foolish now. The woman has enough to cope with.

I first read it as LFC, which confused me (is she a Liverpool fan?), but now it makes sense. Sounds like a bit of a waste of money then, and she should've at least said thanks. But she's still my favourite Bond girl.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Now I can understand why she seemed so grained. She is in my thoughts.
    When i met her a few years ago at the Memorabilia show, she was absolutely lovely. We had a nice brief chat and she was a real pleasure to have met. I hope her health issues can be resolved.
    Even Barbara Shelley was gracious to me and she had a stroke......
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Tracy wrote:
    Even Barbara Shelley was gracious to me and she had a stroke......

Be fair though, a stroke is not a cerebral hemorrage. You can't expect them to be the same. Yes, D'Abo could have been gracious (if this is even true, I wasn't there myself, so I can't say either way), but you don't know what effects this has had on D'Abo.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Maybe she was just fulfilling her obligation to attend but really wasn't able to hold it together pschologically in order to be polite and gracious. We cannot know why she was not gracious or attentive ... so I am giving her the benefit of the doubt; especially as I have heard nothing negative about her before. Usually positive for sure.

Update: Well I just read that her medical issue was in 2007. Or am I wrong? I was thinking this was really recent for her ... even so, this would most likely still be an onging struggle for her. Soemthing like that changes your life so dramatically and takes so long to recover from.
    A simple thank you would have been good, true, for sure. If it's difficult for her, maybe she could cut back on her attending such functions; just a thought. I do wish her continued improved health.

• One of the problems with being in the public eye is that you're expected to be "on", happy, and fully engaged every second. Think of how many times that you've been at work when sick, tired, in a bad mood, or just after something bad had happened that no one else knows about. How often have we snapped at someone or worse, much less be a little "un-engaged"? The problem with a celebrity is you only need to do this once over a ten-year period and then suddenly people think that you're ungrateful or full of yourself.

There was a local hockey player in my hometown who was renowned for being a "nice guy" and always gracious to fans. One night he was at a bar with a friend and wouldn't talk to people and finally snapped at someone. Despite it coming out later that he was stressed because his young son was sick he afterwards had the reputation of "hating" his fans! I know how you can be looking forward to meeting a celebrity but they're human beings and have moods and problems like everyone else. Unless this becomes a regular occurrence for D'Abo I'm willing to cut her some slack.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,639
    She wasn't like this in Bham '09 , there she actually communicated with fans.

I heard that Pat Stewart was in a foul mood last time he had a con in U.K , not at all pleasant to fans. Same with Shatner and Adam West too.

You're bitter about your careers not taking off as you expected.....but seriously , it's *not* the fans fault......stay at home if you're in a rotten mood.