edited November 2017 in Actors Posts: 236

Comments

• Daniel Craig should absolutely be on the above list. He's better than many of those listed above.
    Based purely on acting chops:

1. Daniel Craig
    2. Judi Dench
    3. Sean Connery
    4. Sean Bean
    5. Jesper Christenson
    6. Famke Janssen
    7. Gert Frobe
    8. Claudine Auger
    9. Bernard Lee
    10. Desmond Llewelyn
    11. Javier Bardem
    12. Jeffrey Wright
    13. Christopher Lee
    14. Giancarlo Giannini
    15. Eva Green
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @JWESTBROOK No Dalton?

1- Timothy Dalton
    2- Robert Davi
    3- Robert Carlyle
    4- Sean Bean
    5- Sean Connery
    6- Christopher Lee
    7- Javier Bardem
    8- Christopher Walken
    9- Pierce Brosnan
    10- Christopher Walken
    11- Robbie Coltrane
    12- Steve Berkoff
    13- Judi Dench
    14- Sophie Marcaue
    15- Daniel Craig
    In no particular order except for the first two:

-Pierce Brosnan (James Bond 007, the best of the six)
    -Roger Moore (James Bond 007, the best until Brosnan came along)
    -Christopher Walken (Max Zorin)
    -Sean Bean (Alec Trevelyan)
    -Louis Jordan (Kamal Khan)
    -Christopher Lee (Francisco Scaramanga)
    -Judi Dench (M)
    -Desmond Llewlyn (Major Boothroyd "Q")
    -Joseph Wiseman (Dr. Julius No)
    -Timothy Dalton (James Bond 007, third best after Pierce and Roger)
    -Robert Shaw (Donald "Red" Grant)
    -Robert Davi (Franz Sanchez)
    -Pedro Armendariz (Kerim Bey)
    -Sean Connery (James Bond 007, the one who began the 007 sensation)
    -Giancarlo Giannini (Rene Mathis)
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494
    First, the only 4 Bonds worthy of consideration because they most embodied the role and Fleming's vision-

1. Sean Connery
    2. Timothy Dalton
    3. Daniel Craig
    4. Roger Moore

Next up, some very difficult choices

5. Joseph Wiseman
    6. Lotte Lenya
    7. Robert Shaw
    8. Gert Frobe
    9. Luciana Paluzzi
    10. Diana Rigg
    11. Christopher Lee
    12. Steven Berkoff
    13. Christopher Walken
    14. Benicio DelToro
    15. Sean Bean

HM- Adolfo Celi, Curt Jurgens, Robert Davi, Giancarlo Giannini, Eva Green
    First, the only 4 Bonds worthy of consideration because they most embodied the role
    and Fleming's vision-

1. Sean Connery
    2. Timothy Dalton
    3. Daniel Craig
    4. Roger Moore

Why do you include Moore but not Brosnan? I could understand if you only liked the more serious Bonds but you included Moore, so why not Brosnan?

Plus, and no offence to Moore, I love his Bond and he seems like a great guy, Brosnan is a better actor. He's been nominated for a golden globe, and he won an award for his part in Ghost Writer.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Obviously because Moore is (a) a better actor, and (b) made the role his. No one can top Sir Roger for smug smarminess as Bond.

My question is, why does the Brosnan crowd continually diss Craig or anyone else they deem unfriendly to Brosnan? They do exactly what they say the Craig crowd does.
    Obviously because Moore is (a) a better actor, and (b) made the role his. No one can top Sir Roger for smug smarminess as Bond.

My question is, why does the Brosnan crowd continually diss Craig or anyone else they deem unfriendly to Brosnan? They do exactly what they say the Craig crowd does.

Read my other post for why I think Brosnan is a better actor. I'm not dissing Craig, I never mentioned him, I like him just like all the other Bonds. And I wasn't dissing Moore either, I love his Bond. I was just asking why you didn't include Brosnan, because I think he also made the role his own.
    I will put my two cents in thats about what my opinion is worth these days.
    But why may I ask fifteen? why not 10, 25, or 3 ?

1.Timothy Dalton
    2.Christopher Walken
    3. Louis Jourdan
    4. Diana Rigg
    5. Ilse Steppat
    6. Lotte Lenya
    7. Robert Shaw
    8. Joseph Wiseman
    9. Pedro Armendariz, SR
    10, Christopher Lee
    11. Topol
    12. Judi Dench
    13. Sean Connery
    14. Eva Green
    14. Jarvier Bardem
    Sean Connery
    George Lazenby
    Roger Moore
    Timothy Dalton
    Pierce Brosnan
    Daniel Craig
    Bernard Lee
    Judi Dench
    Desmond Llewelyn
    Christopher Lee
    Christopher Walken
    Julian Glover
    Eva Green
    Javier Bardem
    Robert Shaw

Just to say this is not a list in order of? It is just my 15 Actor/Actress
  • Obviously because Moore is (a) a better actor, and (b) made the role his. No one can top Sir Roger for smug smarminess as Bond.

Read my other post for why I think Brosnan is a better actor. I'm not dissing Craig, I never mentioned him, I like him just like all the other Bonds. And I wasn't dissing Moore either, I love his Bond. I was just asking why you didn't include Brosnan, because I think he also made the role his own.

That's where we mainly disagree. Brosnan is "tick the box" Bond. "Greatest hits" Bond. In my opinion, he added nothing new to the role. I like Brosnan as Bond and have always said he was the right choice at the time. I love his enthusiasm for the role and that it was his dream to play Bond. I respect his contributions, but he went the Moore route and couldn't carry it off in the same lovable way. I prefer Craig as Bond and as an actor and think his overall range, skill set, and choice of characters is better.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 1,778
    This list based just on acting ability and range. In no particular order.

1)Sean Connery
    2)Daniel Craig (Even if you hate he's probably the most versitile actor to play Bond and definatly deserves to be on the list)
    3)Timothy Dalton
    4)Robert Shaw
    5)Bernard Lee
    6)Diana Rigg
    7)Benecio Del Torro
    8)Christopher Walken
    9)Robert Caryle
    10)Sophie Marceu
    11)Eva Green
    12)Judi Dench
    13)Giancarlo Giannini
    14)Jeffrey Wright
    15)Sean Bean

It was really tough to it down to only 15. Gabriel Fazzetti was on my list but I took him off as I haven't seen him in enough. Honorable mention also goes to Julian Glover, Louise Jordan, Robert Davi, Yapphet Kotto, Christopher Lee, Mads Millkensen, and Joseph Wise.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Ooh, this is a good idea HenryJones Victor.

15 isn't enough. I'll go 20.

Honestly, I could list at least 10 more.

1. Sean Connery
    2. Judi Dench
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Bernard Lee
    5. Christopher Lee
    6. Diana Rigg
    7. Steven Berkoff
    8. Christopher Walken
    9. Robert Shaw
    10. Benico Del Toro
    11. Robert Davi
    12. Telly Savalas
    13. Pedro Armedariz
    14. Daniel Craig
    15. Desmond Llewelyn
    16. Jayne Seymour
    17. Louis Jordan
    18. Giancarlo Gianni
    19. Yaphet Kotto
    20. Roger Moore
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just to be sure, are we going on acting ability, or the 15 actors we like best?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Just to be sure, are we going on acting ability, or the 15 actors we like best?

I went with both.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    in no particular order... based on my opinion of their acting talents in and out of the Bond franchise..

1. Sean Connery
    2. Timothy Dalton
    3. Daniel Craig
    4. Robert Shaw
    5. Donald Pleasence
    6. Cristopher Lee
    7. Telly Savalas
    8. Diana Rigg
    9. Yaphet Kotto
    10. Jane Seymour
    11. Christopher Walken
    12. Benicio Del Toro
    13. Sean Bean
    14. Julian Glover
    15. Judi Dench
    16. Javier Bardem
    17. Ralph Fiennes
    18. Robert Carlyle
    19. Robert Davi
    20. Johnathan Pryce

i had to go to 20, i had some personal favorites that i wanted to include :)

That's where we mainly disagree. Brosnan is "tick the box" Bond. "Greatest hits" Bond. In my opinion, he added nothing new to the role. I like Brosnan as Bond and have always said he was the right choice at the time. I love his enthusiasm for the role and that it was his dream to play Bond. I respect his contributions, but he went the Moore route and couldn't carry it off in the same lovable way. I prefer Craig as Bond and as an actor and think his overall range, skill set, and choice of characters is better.

It's really strange. I suppose I understand what people mean when they say he "never made the role his own" but there were several times in his films when I could point and say "that's James Bond". While Brosnan did have his flaws I'm not sure I agree with that statement.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Louise Jordan

Youre bang on there. For me her work in Blue Peter was seminal, even surpassing the legendary Noakes and Purves.

In no particular order and in terms of acting chops only (and irrelevant of their contribution to Bond -laughable how many people have Sir Rog down, who I love to bits but theres no way you can argue hes a great actor).

1. Sean Connery
    2. Robert Shaw
    3. Christopher Lee
    4. Michael Lonsdale
    5. Steven Berkoff
    6. Christopher Walken
    7. Timothy Dalton
    8. Benicio del Toro
    9. Judi Dench
    10. Sean Bean
    11. Jonathon Pryce
    12. Robert Carlyle
    13. Sophie Marceau
    14. Daniel Craig
    15. Javier Bardem

Honourable mentions to Joseph Wiseman, Lotte Lenya, Pedro Armendariz, Gert Frobe, Donald Pleasance, Telly Savalas, Yaphet Kotto, Curt Jurgens, Julian Glover, Louis Jourdan, Jerome Krabbe, Joe Don Baker, John Rhys Davies, Art Malik, Tcheky Karyo, Eva Green, Giancarlo Giannini, Mathieu Amalric.

Maybe Rog is a better actor than I give him credit for. Look at the run of actors he had as villains (4 in my top 10 and 4 others who narrowly missed out) and he held his own. Hes certainly a national treasure if not the greatest actor we've ever had.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Louise Jordan

Youre bang on there. For me her work in Blue Peter was seminal, even surpassing the legendary Noakes and Purves.

In no particular order and in terms of acting chops only (and irrelevant of their contribution to Bond -laughable how many people have Sir Rog down, who I love to bits but theres no way you can argue hes a great actor).

1. Sean Connery
    2. Robert Shaw
    3. Christopher Lee
    4. Michael Lonsdale
    5. Steven Berkoff
    6. Christopher Walken
    7. Timothy Dalton
    8. Benicio del Toro
    9. Judi Dench
    10. Sean Bean
    11. Jonathon Pryce
    12. Robert Carlyle
    13. Sophie Marceau
    14. Daniel Craig
    15. Javier Bardem

Honourable mentions to Joseph Wiseman, Lotte Lenya, Pedro Armendariz, Gert Frobe, Donald Pleasance, Telly Savalas, Yaphet Kotto, Curt Jurgens, Julian Glover, Louis Jourdan, Jerome Krabbe, Joe Don Baker, John Rhys Davies, Art Malik, Tcheky Karyo, Eva Green, Giancarlo Giannini, Mathieu Amalric.

Maybe Rog is a better actor than I give him credit for. Look at the run of actors he had as villains (4 in my top 10 and 4 others who narrowly missed out) and he held his own. Hes certainly a national treasure if not the greatest actor we've ever had.

Why is Daniel Craig so low? I'd put him above Timothy Dalton

And...come to think of it, why is Judi Dench below Timothy. She has better comic timing than he does.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    while I personally feel Brosnan is probably the weakest Bond, the fault wasn't entirely his.. he was getting handed some pretty bad fluff in terms of script and leading ladies (sans Goldeneye), and while he seemed to gradually get more relaxed and comfortable in the role, the films themselves got worse - i can't point to any one of his films and say "he is the reason why this movie is bad", it's usually everything else going on around him...

with that said though, i do feel like he really brought nothing new to the role.. some people say he brought a cocksure sense of overconfidence - but, that i feel has been established in the character since Connery, and has been a part of what makes Bond "Bond" since Fleming first wrote the character.. it's nothing new, and every actor has portrayed that aspect of Bond's personality... Brosnan never really could break out of Goldeneye's shadow, and that really says a lot considering the role was originally written for Dalton.

Brosnan is an okay actor, but not great IMO... some of his movies outside of Bond (before and after) i think are better than his 3 Bond films past Goldeneye.
    BAIN123 wrote:

did u forget where he posted.... "in no particular order"
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    HASEROT wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

D'oh. My mistake. Didn't read the first bit and jumped the gun.

While I'm not sure Brosnan brought anything "new" to the role I do think he brought his own "boyish charm" which I've always enjoyed.

Plus at that point (1995) I'm not convinced people wanted anything new. All the "successful" Bond's have mirrored the current attitudes from society. Brosnan was the cheesey "greatest hits" period.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 9,117
    HASEROT wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Well actually there is a particular order when I look at it - chronological - but your point remains valid haserot.

Acting chops? I will bite - but this is for other works as well

1 Judi Dench
    2 Robert Shaw
    3 Christopher Lee
    4. Tim Dalton
    5. Daniel Craig
    6. Sean Connery
    7 Diana Rigg
    8 Julian Glover
    9 Christopher Walken
    10 Carole Bouquet
    11 Honor Blackman
    12 Joseph Wiseman
    13 Sophie Marceau
    14. Michael Lonsdale
    16 Curt Jurgens

Remember this is also for work outside the Bond canon.
    actonsteve wrote:

1 Judi Dench

Judi can't be topped by anybody :D

actonsteve wrote:

11 Honor Blackman

Remember this is also for work outside the Bond canon.

Really? Are we talking the Avengers here or feeble ITV sitcom The Upper Hand? Lets be honest if it wasnt for Pussy Galore she would not be a household name. Dont really think she can be ranked above Michael Lonsdale or Curt Jurgens for her body of work over a career.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 774
    In no order, based on acting ability (though I'm sure I've forgotten a few people):

Sean Connery
    Timothy Dalton
    Daniel Craig
    Christopher Walken
    Bernard Lee
    Judi Dench
    Desmond Llewelyn
    Christopher Lee
    Pedro Armendariz
    Eva Green
    Javier Bardem
    John Rhys-Davies
    Donald Pleasence
    Diana Rigg
    Mads Mikkelsen

EDIT: Forgot Ralph Fiennes, @DaltonCraig007's later post reminded me. And I watched Schindler's List just last week.
    @Volante

how did I forget about Rhys-Davies???..... i am ashamed of myself :(
    HASEROT wrote:
    @Volante

how did I forget about Rhys-Davies???..... i am ashamed of myself :(

I almost did as well, had to cut someone to put him in at the last minute. Sorry, Joseph Wiseman.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Okay: (Bond in order of preference, others not in any particular order - but all based on acting chops and fitting the role) And do remember I am a fan of each Bond, escept GL.

Daniel Craig
    Timothy Dalton
    Pierce Brosnan
    Roger Moore
    Sean Connery

Judi Dench
    Sean Bean
    Christopher Lee
    Eva Green
    Isabella Scorupco (spelling that wrong, I am sure - sorry!)
    Robert Carlyle (love him as an actor!)
    Robbie Coltrane
    Robert Shaw
    Christopher Walken

well that's 16 so far ... I'd add Bardem but I haven't seen him yet so I really can't.