Spies, Bond and Martinis.

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 15
Hello fellow guests and agents,
ever since Bond, James Bond touched our screens in the 1960's with his rugged charm and his debonair lifestyle, there is one question that always comes to mind.

Who is the man behind the name James Bond?

When we look into the responsibilities of our man from London, we seem to get an insight into the person, the agent and the hero we know so well... Our hero's Vodka Martini drinks; shaken not stirred, always come on the bar tab as 'Bond's signature drink', yet understanding the complexity of the hero and the burden of his command and responsibility is quite difficult to understand.

I much like the portrayal of Sean Connery's characterization of Bond: charming, sometimes brutal and most admirably a lady's man. Roger Moore's interpretation which initially portrayed the charming spy hero with a purpose to save the world, blurred the responsibilities of Bond in the latter films like Octopussy where Octopussy herself questions his integrity as a secret agent.

Dalton brought much of the sanity back into Bond and in the Living Daylights, he was a sophisticated charming and reliable hero with whom we all entrusted the responsibilities of the on screen British Secret Service upon.

Pierce, our most successful Bond after Sean Connery had a winning formula and it was this: he was the ultimate sales person. His Bond not only sold 'millions' of Omega watches, BMW's and Italian Armani suits that at times he made us feel that Bond was working for The British Sales Service. Nevertheless his vain characterization so roughly challenged by Bond's new on screen Head of Mi6, Judi Dench referring to him as a 'misogynist dinosaur', will always bring supporters and detractors alike.

Craig, Daniel Craig has shown a very human and sometimes humanoid (emotionless) Bond, his portrayal of Bond is a most formidable Secret Agent and here, Bond's risky and sometimes controversial techniques gets him into more danger than safety but he always comes out on the winning side.

So what more does our hero James Bond have in store for us and where will Bond's character take his viewers into the future? Are we looking for a Bond who is more in touch with his own humanity, as a hero who saves the many and not the few, an agent who should protect the world from ultimate disaster and gives the world a living chance for diplomacy, survival and humanity? Or are we looking for a Bond who is an interventionist and balances out world power as and when needed. Can the secret agent Bond ever get back his own humanity amidst a changing world where the rules are that there are no rules to play for?

I hope Daniel Craig stays on for a few more shaken martinis and keeps the franchise going. I open the discussion to my fellow readers and Bond genre enthusiasts.

Sincerely, Neil_72
United Kingdom.

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    You mean, which actor will play Bond next? No idea.
    As such then it's difficult to guess what their characterisation will be like.

That aside it's difficult to expect Bond to ever be a role model. He drinks too much, gambles too much and appears to practice non-safe sex. Oh yes and he carries a gun and kills people on a regular basis.

As a role model he's only a notch or two above Wayne Rooney.
  • oh NicNac comparing JB to Wayne....nah. Wayne is just below Gadaffi's son's camel dung dipped shoes. JB is much closer to Prince Andrew.

As for the next Bond...if you look at it strategically, EON always manage to pick the right Bond for the time, some of us may not like their choices, but in hindsight they have made a pretty good job of the choice of actors. Scripts, directors etc well that's a whole different ball game.

My choice is now Superman and poor old James Purfumeeeeeeee is a bit too old for the job; but he's doing Vespa on film, better than DC did, good on him.

I suspect they'll go for much younger actor and stay with for 6 films. But they need better writers much better writers.

Every one is now looking at an actor called MuchFasterbender for the role - but i suspect the X-Men films will put an end to that notion.

Quoting Neil_72: Which actor, if any, can take this great and important challenge to be a role model character and define James Bond in the 21st Century?
    Well, as Daniel Criag's first two films have been the most successful Bond films since the height of Roger Moore's career as Bond, I think he is a pretty good bet to define James Bond in the 21st Century.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 15
    I agree with you about Daniel being a great choice to continue the 21st Century Bond franchise and I am avidly looking forward to seeing the next instalment of Bond in Bond 23; Skyfall which should keep many Bond enthusiasts gripped to see how JB returns and confronts his enemies and deals with his allies. Perhaps we will be seeing some more tension between M and Bond. It would be good to see Daniel Craig be referred to as Commander Bond and tap into his Naval History roots. I am also intrigued by the welcomed presence of Albert Finney in Bond 23, perhaps as a new M to be or a senior officer to the present M?