Diana Rigg and daughter Rachael Stirling to star in Doctor Who

gt007gt007 Station G
edited July 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,182
Mother and daughter Dame Diana Rigg and Rachael Stirling are to star side by side in a Doctor Who adventure to be broadcast next year.

It is the first time the pair have worked together on screen.

The actresses will play "a mother and daughter with a dark secret" alongside Matt Smith, as the Doctor, and new companion Jenna-Louise Coleman.

Filming began this week at Roath Lock Studios in Cardiff.

_61303600_diana1.jpg

Dame Diana Rigg, who played Emma Peel in The Avengers in the 1960s, will play "a Yorkshire local".

'Madness'

She said: "The first time Rachie and I will be working together is on an episode of Doctor Who specially written for us by Mark Gatiss. How lucky is that?"

_61303606_rachael.jpg

Rachael Stirling said she was "looking forward to the madness of Doctor Who enormously".

"Mark Gatiss has written a gift of a script and an on-screen relationship between Ma and I that is truly delicious.

"We have never before worked together because the offers have not been tempting, but when such a funny and original script comes through you know the time has come."

Stirling's TV work includes Women In Love and Tipping the Velvet.

Doctor Who's executive producer Steven Moffat said: "Dame Diana Rigg, Rachael Stirling and a Mark Gatiss script - a combination of talents you could only get in Doctor Who! Frankly, I'm terrified already!"

2013 will be the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in November 1963.

BBC

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Interesting! I never knew she had a daughter who is an actress.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1479/anyone-for-a-jelly-baby-doctor-who-discussion-thread./p8#Item_214

Has already been mentioned in the thread above, which is about all of Doctor Who.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

I once read the daughter had been considered for the role of Vesper in CR. I don't know if it's true or not. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Sandy wrote:

I once read the daughter had been considered for the role of Vesper in CR. I don't know if it's true or not. Can anyone confirm this?

She had been up for that part and I think would have been very good in the role Vesper.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=3211&catid=2

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=3215&catid=2&t=dn&s=dn

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_casting_rumours.php3?t=bond21&s=bond21

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_casting_rumours_girls.php3?s=bond21&t=bond21
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    When we consider Eva, I just don't think anyone could even come close to that brilliance. She just IS Vesper in that role. Intimidating, but not overly imposing. Sultry and seductive, but she doesn't throw herself at you. Intelligent, but not egocentric about it. Classy, but not prudish or self absorbed. I think Vesper much mirrors Eva in real life on a large scale. Possibly why I love both so much.
    Is this the daughter who starred in "tipping the Lace"?
    She's good.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    That's her. She's a great actor and I feel a missed choice for Vesper. At least we'd have had a straight accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_the_Velvet
    When you think about it, her as Vesper would be cool, because the 2 most important women in Bonds history would've been played by mum and daughter.
    Maybe? But Eva Green was fantastic as Vesper IMHO. Couldn't imagine anyone else now who could have played the role.
  • When we consider Eva, I just don't think anyone could even come close to that brilliance. She just IS Vesper in that role. Intimidating, but not overly imposing. Sultry and seductive, but she doesn't throw herself at you. Intelligent, but not egocentric about it. Classy, but not prudish or self absorbed. I think Vesper much mirrors Eva in real life on a large scale. Possibly why I love both so much.

Didn't see this one coming ;)

Other than the "authentically British" sentiment, I agree that Eva was brilliant in the role and I wouldn't change a thing in hindsight.
    When we consider Eva, I just don't think anyone could even come close to that brilliance. She just IS Vesper in that role. Intimidating, but not overly imposing. Sultry and seductive, but she doesn't throw herself at you. Intelligent, but not egocentric about it. Classy, but not prudish or self absorbed. I think Vesper much mirrors Eva in real life on a large scale. Possibly why I love both so much.

You missed the obvious.... Great rack ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    When we consider Eva, I just don't think anyone could even come close to that brilliance. She just IS Vesper in that role. Intimidating but not overly imposing. Sultry and sedu

Well, I'm not a pig.
    When we consider Eva, I just don't think anyone could even come close to that brilliance. She just IS Vesper in that role. Intimidating but not overly imposing. Sultry and sedu

Well, I'm not a pig.

Ha, good for you. I can say that Eva is not just a pretty face with a gorgeous figure, she can act as well. And for those of you that also appreciate her gorgeous figure, check her out in the film The Dreamers.
  • I still think (ducks flying object O'Brady launches from Port Allegany) I prefer Caterina Murino and Christina Cole (Ocean Beach club receptionist).

I'll volunteer for pig duty, especially if I can have them both at the same time ^:)^
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I still think (ducks flying object O'Brady launches from Port Allegany) I prefer Caterina Murino and Christina Cole (Ocean Beach club receptionist).

I'll volunteer for pig duty, especially if I can have them both at the same time ^:)^
    I use "pig" because I don't like to see childish words like "rack", or "melons", etc to describe classically beautiful, lovely and classy women like Eva. No worries @SirHenryLeeChaChing! ;)
  • I guess "jugs" is out too. How about "bodacious mammaries"? :D
    I guess "jugs" is out too. How about "bodacious mammaries"? :D
    I think this calls for a time out!
    :P
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I've been bad again :\">

Please send Caterina and Christina over to spank me immediately!
    I still think (ducks flying object O'Brady launches from Port Allegany) I prefer Caterina Murino and Christina Cole (Ocean Beach club receptionist).

I use "pig" because I don't like to see childish words like "rack", or "melons", etc to describe classically beautiful, lovely and classy women like Eva. No worries @SirHenryLeeChaChing! ;)

So classy a lady you can practically see what she's had for dinner in her nude scenes in the film I previously mentioned. I love to see the word rack so thanks for repeating it. However to avoid causing further upset amongst the more sensitive of us, I will only refer to her to having fantastic mammary glands in the future.

So classy a lady you can practically see what she's had for dinner in her nude scenes in the film I previously mentioned. I love to see the word rack so thanks for repeating it. However to avoid causing further upset amongst the more sensitive of us, I will only refer to her to having fantastic mammary glands in the future.

No need to off putting. I simply ask to respect a woman, and don't apply such immature words in their descriptions.
    Seriously we have a Dr. Who thread for a reason.