The "Bastard Children" of the Bond Franchise

DB5DB5
edited July 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 408
A number of posters on this and other Bond fan sites have suggested that the novel "Colonel Sun" and the film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" are regarded by Glidrose and Eon as "the bastard children of the Bond franchise." Fleming and Gardner novels are reprinted, "Colonel Sun" is an out of print, disregarded one shot. Same with the film, OHMSS, you almost never see it on tv, even during a week long Bond marathon. And the interesting thing is, Bond fans seem to regard both works relatively highly. Are these two contributions to the Bond legacy ones that the Fleming estate would just as soon forget about?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i dont know where these assumptions are coming from about OHMSS... but i've caught it on tv a couple times.. as my stepdad always points out when it's on, by calling it "the one where Bond cries." lol.... i just think the reason it doesn't get a lot of tv time, is because its not a mainstream favorite..

... in terms of EON considering it a "bastard child" - i think thats a little far fetched, as it's trademark moment of Bond's wife being killed, is referenced in 4 other films past it - most recently in TWINE.. if EON really had such disdain for the movie, no reference towards it would be made at all....

i can't speak about Colonel Sun, never read it
    I agree that OHMSS is quite often on the telly, and I have seen it twice on the big screen. It is by no means a bastardchild. It is actually one to be proud of, they do try to make the current DC movies in a similar vein action, stylish but tough action.

Colonel Sun's release might have something to do with the rights of the writer Kingsley Amis. Otherwise I would not know why it has not been reprinted recently. Or they would not want to create unclarity towards new readers by releasing all these continuation writers at the same time.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DB5 wrote:
    A number of posters on this and other Bond fan sites have suggested that the novel "Colonel Sun" and the film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" are regarded by Glidrose and Eon as "the bastard children of the Bond franchise." Fleming and Gardner novels are reprinted, "Colonel Sun" is an out of print, disregarded one shot. Same with the film, OHMSS, you almost never see it on tv, even during a week long Bond marathon. And the interesting thing is, Bond fans seem to regard both works relatively highly. Are these two contributions to the Bond legacy ones that the Fleming estate would just as soon forget about?

Really? I always felt that the two novelizations by Christopher Wood or maybe even Fleming's original TSWLM were more bastard children than either Colonel Sun or OHMSS.
    I think Pierce is the ultimate bastard child of the franchise.

His films are praised by fans and the peoples but he isn't really noticed/talked to/known about for his Bond work. Eon got rid of him, and haven't really involved him in his post-Bond tenure like they have with Connery and Moore.

The same with Dalton. Not really brought up too often by Eon or the public when it comes to Bond's history.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

His films are praised by fans and the peoples but he isn't really noticed/talked to/known about for his Bond work. Eon got rid of him, and haven't really involved him in his post-Bond tenure like they have with Connery and Moore.

The same with Dalton. Not really brought up too often by Eon or the public when it comes to Bond's history.

I think Purvis and Wade are the bastard children of the franchise.
  • DB5DB5
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Why would you say that? Didn't they write the screenplays for the last four films?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    OHMSS was on tv about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I think the producers are more than aware of just how popular the movie is amongst Bond fans these days and the film itself get praised and is often cited by the likes of Nolan.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The Elephant Boy in TMWTGG.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,979
    No, no, no, the bastard child of the franchise is Penelope Smallbone.
  • DB5DB5
    Well if you're going to include Bond characters how about John Clesse's Q? By "bastard child," I mean a film or novel that Eon or Glidrose would just assume never existed. Like the way the current producers of "The Dark Knight Rises" feel about the first four Batman films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    OHMSS69 wrote:

No just bastards. Period.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The original Armourer.

The second Miss Moneypenny and second M.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,341
    DB5 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Why would you say that? Didn't they write the screenplays for the last four films?

Last four films? That would be TWINE, DAD, CR, and QOS. Three out of four sucked anal gas. One good script out of four tries?
    That sounds like bastard qualification to me.
    A
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Again with the Americanisation Wizard ;)
  • DB5DB5
    OHMSS69 wrote:

LOL! OK, for the last time, I don't mean characters or writers or anything else that people don't like. I mean a film or novel that either Eon or the Fleming estate would just as soon never see the light of day again. And I'm sorry, I almost NEVER see OHMSS offered as part of the Bond marathons!

• I OHMSS is more of a bastard child when it comes to casual fans. It's the one with the other fellow so they dismiss it not realizing it how good it is, atleast in my opinion.