EON Productions inks writers contracts for next two Bond movies

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The haters really need to stop living in denial and accept Daniel Craig is out current James Bond and is going to go on being that for a while.

I do accept he is the current 007, I just don't like his take on Bond. but I hope Skyfall and his 2 last films will be great, and then in 2018/2019 Bond #7 will arrive, and Craig fans will start bashing the heck out of the new guy, as pay back to what happened to their Craig boy in 2005/2006.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 1,778
    The haters really need to stop living in denial and accept Daniel Craig is out current James Bond and is going to go on being that for a while.

I do accept he is the current 007, I just don't like his take on Bond. but I hope Skyfall and his 2 last films will be great, and then in 2018/2019 Bond #7 will arrive, and Craig fans will start bashing the heck out of the new guy, as pay back to what happened to their Craig boy in 2005/2006.

Im not as superficial as the bashers and will not hate an actor for his hair color (still maybe the single stupidest gripe over a casting choice I've ever heard). I'll wait until his first film and pass judgement then. The only Bond I bash is Brosnan for taking the series backwards, adding nothing new, and making Bond a nostolgia act for 10 years.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    @DoubleOhhSeven please don't put every Craig detractors in the group of those who 'hated him because he is blonde'. There are honest and respectable people who just don't like Craig's take on Bond, just like some dislike Moore's take on Bond, or Brosnan's take on Bond...
    I am encouraged by this news if true and confirmed? The earliar the better in terms of script development! 2 films to sort out Quantum! Can only see Craig doing 5 films at the most?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Can only see Craig doing 5 films at the most?

That is the most likely number of films he will do. Still, that would be the 3rd longest tenure.
    @DoubleOhhSeven please don't put every Craig detractors in the group of those who 'hated him because he is blonde'. There are honest and respectable people who just don't like Craig's take on Bond, just like some dislike Moore's take on Bond, or Brosnan's take on Bond...

I wasn't referring to them. Im referring to the people that are constantly making things up or taking half-truths and making them fact to believe that Craig's days are numbered. You'd think that as Bond fans they'd try to be alittle positive. Hell I went into DAD with a positive attitude hoping that aslong as it was better than TWINE I'd be happy.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Can only see Craig doing 5 films at the most?

That is the most likely number of films he will do. Still, that would be the 3rd longest tenure.

It'd be the 3rd longest tenure as far as films go. But as far as years go it'd be the second longest behind Sir Roger Moore.
    It would be great if they give us the title of Bond 24 in Skyfall... but they don't do it since when? AVTAK?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Does this mean Logan is on board for Bond 25 as well as Bond 24? If so, this should be good news.
    No names were mentioned so far. And isn´t your quip about good news a little premature? We haven´t even seen if Logan did anything good with Bond at all.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    boldfinger wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Does this mean Logan is on board for Bond 25 as well as Bond 24? If so, this should be good news.
    No names were mentioned so far. And isn´t your quip about good news a little premature? We haven´t even seen if Logan did anything good with Bond at all.

No. It's good news EON are planning far ahead. I don't think it's fair to say that is premature.
    VeryBond wrote:
    Sorry, I call BS on this one. I highly doubt any writer is pinned down for 24 yet. The trades are notoriously unreliable, as anyone in the industry knows, because they are half wishful thinking and half shameless hype. In this case, think of it as a padded resume or CV.

Many times you hear of a film be 're-written' in pre-production. Usually preliminary writers are chosen to draft out ideas, and then other writers usually are hired to finish the script off.

Most of the time it's simply because the writer doesn't want to change something or isn't interested anymore (ala Skyfall's script).

I, for one, hope Logan returns if Skyfall is good. Not successful, but good.
    If this is at all true then it is good news. What the series has lacked for a couple of decades now is a solid, smooth production line. If they can bring in a decent writer on a long-term basis hopefully we will see a steady and recognisable style return to Bond. All the chopping and changing in writers and directors has been a disaster since LTK. CR and QoS were better but still not 100% on target IMO. We need a new Maibaum to provide a recognisable Bondian feel to the films.
    I'm sure in an interview somewhere that Logan has already been asked to put a few new ideas forward for the next one? It was a while ago but i am sure he has?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I'm sure in an interview somewhere that Logan has already been asked to put a few new ideas forward for the next one? It was a while ago but i am sure he has?

In an article from last October, yes.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I am encouraged by this news if true and confirmed? The earliar the better in terms of script development! 2 films to sort out Quantum! Can only see Craig doing 5 films at the most?

Yes, I think 5 is about right considering Craig's age. He's said he'll do a 4th for sure and would be around 50 or not far off should he do a 5th.

As for myself, I will miss him in the role but I learned long ago after watching my cinematic hero leave the role that the actor will change. Whoever the new guy will one day be, will be treated by myself with an open mind and heart. I made a big mistake being one of those who judged Craig on hair color, it was stupid and wrong of me or any other true Bond fan to do that and I have learned my lesson.

Samuel001 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

In an article from last October, yes.

Cheers samuel, i thought so. I am glad of the forward planning and welcome it.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Yes, I think 5 is about right considering Craig's age. He's said he'll do a 4th for sure and would be around 50 or not far off should he do a 5th.

As for myself, I will miss him in the role but I learned long ago after watching my cinematic hero leave the role that the actor will change. Whoever the new guy will one day be, will be treated by myself with an open mind and heart. I made a big mistake being one of those who judged Craig on hair color, it was stupid and wrong of me or any other true Bond fan to do that and I have learned my lesson.

I never remotely understood the hair colour problem that people had with Craig.

Personally, after Brosnan I felt the only way was up and having seen DC in Layer Cake I was always confident he'd turn in a decent performance. I think he's a solid Bond. Not my favourite by a long shot, but not at all bad. However, his movies (so far) do not quite hit the spot for me. They're a step in the right direction but not the finished article. CR was overlong and slightly dull in parts and QoS suffered by comparison with the Bourne movies that it was too obviously apeing. Fingers crossed that with SF they really nail it.

And yes, my money is on DC doing 4 or 5 before bowing out.
    I've always thought that Craig would do around five films. Possibly six but it's difficult to see him starring in any more than this. Still, you never know but it does seem like a stretch. Maybe if the stories and characters remain fresh and interesting the public won't start objecting to the darker tone. Anyway, there was plenty of humour in CR and from what I've heard, quite possibly more in SF unfortunately. Following Craig's departure, I don't mind them returning to the style of the Moore era but at the same time it's difficult for me to see the public wanting lampoonery like this again...atleast at the moment. There are full blown slapstick movies like Johnny English that cater to these people's needs.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    As someone who was a Variety subscriber from 1989-1995 and remembers all of the various "We're about to film the next Bond movie!" articles, color me dubious...until there are specific official announcements of writers or directors.
    I've always said 5 or 6 films would be perfect for Craig. No more and no less. 8 is just too many. He'll be too old and by that point the series will probably need a change.
    Getafix wrote:
    If they can bring in a decent writer on a long-term basis hopefully we will see a steady and recognisable style return to Bond. All the chopping and changing in writers and directors has been a disaster since LTK. CR and QoS were better but still not 100% on target IMO. We need a new Maibaum to provide a recognisable Bondian feel to the films.
    It will be recognizable as soon as they concentrate more on the character than on icons like the bloody DB5. I´m not sure if a constant writer is necessary for that. But it sure wouldn´t hurt.

Well I certainly sure Daniel Craig will come back of those 2 more. But I'm preying on it. His haters well I can say are losers.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    If they can bring in a decent writer on a long-term basis hopefully we will see a steady and recognisable style return to Bond. All the chopping and changing in writers and directors has been a disaster since LTK. CR and QoS were better but still not 100% on target IMO. We need a new Maibaum to provide a recognisable Bondian feel to the films.
    It will be recognizable as soon as they concentrate more on the character than on icons like the bloody DB5. I´m not sure if a constant writer is necessary for that. But it sure wouldn´t hurt.

The overuse of the Db5 is a symptom of the confusion and lackmof confidence at EON. They keep on bringimg it back to stress the heritage and paper over the cracks in script and quality.
    Getafix wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

The overuse of the Db5 is a symptom of the confusion and lack of confidence at EON. They keep on bringimg it back to stress the heritage and paper over the cracks in script and quality.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 9,779
    I think if the story is true expect annoucment withing the next few months by January they should announce the writers

that said Purvis Wade and Logan sounds fine to me.

though maybe Purvis Wade and Goyer will be the writing team one can hope.... I like Goyer...
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This is indeed great news. And personally i have no problem that Purvis and Wade returns for the next one. I like what they have done and they know the Bond charachter.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,598
    MrBond wrote:
    This is indeed great news. And personally i have no problem that Purvis and Wade returns for the next one. I like what they have done and they know the Bond charachter.

Yeah, P & W do seem to have a good knowledge of the Bond character but their dialogue in the past has been iffy. Having a third writer to intervene and do polishes is always a good idea. I wonder how much of their work remains in the final script.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Bounine wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Yeah, P & W do seem to have a good knowledge of the Bond character but their dialogue in the past has been iffy. Having a third writer to intervene and do polishes is always a good idea. I wonder how much of their work remains in the final script.

I know that for DAD and QoS, much of their work didn't get to the film. But in the other movies, i think that pretty much is their work.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,598
    MrBond wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

I know that for DAD and QoS, much of their work didn't get to the film. But in the other movies, i think that pretty much is their work.

Interesting, thanks. In the case of DAD, atleast some of it was Tamahori's fault. The DAD novelisation was definitely better than the film. I wonder how much of P & W's work was in the book. As for QOS, god knows what happened there. Anything would have been better than that mess of a film. It's lucky Craig and other good actors carried it otherwise the movie could have been a disaster. If it hadn't have been a Bond film then there would have been trouble. Eon can't have been happy at all with P & W's work on QOS. There was Haggis, he went on strike, then Forster had someone else do a bit of writing, and even Craig did some writing. This can't have been good for P & W's egos.

I'm glad P & W are being kept as they write interesting stories and know the character.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Bounine wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Interesting, thanks. In the case of DAD, atleast some of it was Tamahori's fault. The DAD novelisation was definitely better than the film. I wonder how much of P & W's work was in the book. As for QOS, god knows what happened there. Anything would have been better than that mess of a film. It's lucky Craig and other good actors carried it otherwise the movie could have been a disaster. If it hadn't have been a Bond film then there would have been trouble. Eon can't have been happy at all with P & W's work on QOS. There was Haggis, he went on strike, then Forster had someone else do a bit of writing, and even Craig did some writing. This can't have been good for P & W's egos.

I'm glad P & W are being kept as they write interesting stories and know the character.

Well the problem was that Forster and Haggis started From scratch. So not much of P&Ws work came to the actual film because Forster didn't like it.