The Brit List: 20 Coolest *FAILURE*

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited June 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 28,694
The coolest Brit ever is...DAVID BOWIE?!?!?!?!

:-/

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not news brady.
    Moved to general discussion.

News = Bond related news.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Is this a printed list in a magazine or something?
    Bowie was/is cool. But Bond is best so I would put every Bond actor except Lazenby on that list. And Paul McCartney (goes without saying really).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Coolest Brit ever :

tie between Michael Caine, Roger Moore, and Bill Nighy.
    Well for me:
    Michael Caine and Peter O'Toole in a dead heat actually.
    David Bowie is unassailably cool. I saw him on his last two tours (which was awhile ago now, unfortunately) and I'm telling you he blew away most bands that were a third his age. His albums from the '90s (Outside & Earthling) are stunning achievements for any artist of any age - made even more astounding by the fact that most of his contemporaries were either putting out complete dreck or milking the cash cow by touring on their 'greatest hits', or both (Rolling Stones, anyone?). I challenge anyone to name one other (musical) artist that remained relevant for as long as he did.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Grinderman wrote:
    David Bowie is unassailably cool. I saw him on his last two tours (which was awhile ago now, unfortunately) and I'm telling you he blew away most bands that were a third his age. His albums from the '90s (Outside & Earthling) are stunning achievements for any artist of any age - made even more astounding by the fact that most of his contemporaries were either putting out complete dreck or milking the cash cow by touring on their 'greatest hits', or both (Rolling Stones, anyone?). I challenge anyone to name one other (musical) artist that remained relevant for as long as he did.
    Frank Sinatra.
    Grinderman wrote:
    Frank Sinatra.

Ok, I'll give you that one, but only because I'm a huge Sinatra fan as well. :-) But Sinatra never really was 'cutting edge' or broke any new ground the way so many other artist have - including Bowie.

And he's not a Brit.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Grinderman wrote:
    Grinderman wrote:
    Frank Sinatra.

Ok, I'll give you that one, but only because I'm a huge Sinatra fan as well. :-) But Sinatra never really was 'cutting edge' or broke any new ground the way so many other artist have - including Bowie.

And he's not a Brit.

Never broke new ground? What a cop out. The man was a voice for the world, and broke strict racial tensions across every media in a time where it was okay to segregate. A man who believed in equality, and that it was your talent that mattered, not the color of your skin. Read this article to se the real Frank:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n1_v94/ai_n27541967/

He is the man I go to when I'm in despair, and become instantly uplifted by his unmatched crooning, presence, style, and class. Frank Sinatra is the very definition of 'cutting edge', standing up for equal rights amongst every person, of every color and origin. Bowie, on the other hand has songs full of questionable lyrics, lyrics that are disgustingly racist, as well as racist comments uttered in the past. I'll take Frank over that anyday. The fight against equality was dangerous, but Frank din't sacrifice his beliefs or follow the racist tide in the era where he hit in big. Before you call someone out on not braking any ground, do some research.
    Sinatra was the first artist to record concept albums, followed by Mr Johnny Cash.
    I prefer Bing Crosby to Frank Sinatra. Neither are Brits

Yes David Bowie has always been cool.
    What about that Brit Bill Shakespeare
    Douglas Bader
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Peter Capaldi
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Getafix wrote:
    Douglas Bader

Indeed! Bowie would wish he could stand in Douglas bader's shade!

But there are many, many more cool Brits! Douglas Adams, Roger Moore, Michael Cane, Bill Nighy, Terry Pratchett, Daniel Craig etc. etc.

Getafix wrote:
    Douglas Bader

Comparing Bowie and Bader is apples and pear. O:-)
    Sir Paul McCartney. Total coolness personified!!! (And a totally cool Bond tune under his belt too!)
    Sir Paul McCartney. Total coolness personified!!! (And a totally cool Bond tune under his belt too!)
    Exactly.
    And you just know Mick J. is chafed because Bowie was (apparently) mentioned before him (again I haven't seen this list ...).

edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Exactly.
    And you just know Mick J. is chafed because Bowie was (apparently) mentioned before him (again I haven't seen this list ...).

Exactly why he isn't cool at all. And I don't find getting stoned and passing out cool, that's for sure.
    What bull. Everyone knows that's Timothy Dalton.
    So where is this frickin' list? Can someone post it please?
    Dalton not on it is crazy. Is Robbie Williams on it? Russell Brand? Stephen Fry? Now I am curious, for no good reason really.
    Dalton not on it is crazy. Is Robbie Williams on it? Russell Brand? Stephen Fry? Now I am curious, for no good reason really.

That made me laugh. Unfortunately, the list was on TV, some stupid compilation that wasn't even made up of real life people entirely. Fictional characters were on there as well, and #2 was abstract, being The British Invasion, which focused on The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. It was a garbage list, considering Bond got #3, and Sherlock probably even lower.
    Ahhh. I see. Rather a letdown, isn'(t it?
    Why can't we make our own list of Coolest Brits (top 20 or top 15 or so) ever? I will ponder my list now ...
    SIR LAWRENCE OLIVIER The coolest Brit EVER
    Olivier - no one can top his acting talent. For me Peter O'Toole comes a close 2nd.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Douglas Bader

Comparing Bowie and Bader is apples and pear. O:-)

In English one compares apples with oranges.. ;)

That made me laugh. Unfortunately, the list was on TV, some stupid compilation that wasn't even made up of real life people entirely. Fictional characters were on there as well, and #2 was abstract, being The British Invasion, which focused on The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. It was a garbage list, considering Bond got #3, and Sherlock probably even lower.

Oh, they got that all wrong. It was the Germans who invaded the last time. And if you're talking about a British invasion, it surely is those drunk party-going people on islands like Mallorca, and you're not telling me that's cool! Actually, I don't think any invasion is cool. at all.