Fahrenheit 451 author Ray Bradbury has died age 91

edited June 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 1,497
<url>http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/showbiz/ray-bradbury-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_c1</url>;

A true pioneer in science fiction writing. My favorites included Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just read this. I recently finished Fahrenheit 451, and was blown away. It was in the same light as 1984, but had so much more quality and fear to it. Bradbury wrote about things in his books that came true in the future, like interactive TV and live police chases, and that is startling when you read Fahrenheit 451. The literary world has lost another of its greatest creators. RIP, Ray. ^:)^
    One more great writer left our world, may he rest in peace.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RIP Ray Bradbury. Even at 91, he's gone too soon.
    I've never read any of his work I'm afraid, but 91 years of age is a very good age to get to.. If I could reach such a milestone I would be thrilled to do so, at least he had a long and productive life

My sympathies as always to his immediate family
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've never read any of his work I'm afraid, but 91 years of age is a very good age to get to.. If I could reach such a milestone I would be thrilled to do so, at least he had a long and productive life

Fahrenheit 451 is a must read @Baltimore.
    Sounds to hot a read for me Brady..

I'd probably favor Ice Station Zebra as some literary work with regards to that maybe
    Sounds too hot a read for me Brady..

I'd probably favor Ice Station Zebra as some literary work with regards to that maybe

Years ago I read a suspense story by him titled "the Whole Town's sleeping" about some serial killer. I always liked his suspense and I say R.I.P. to a great author.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2,629
    451, Martian Chronicles and Something Wicked This Way were great books.

RIP Ray.
    This caught my eye seeing as I had to read Fahrenheit 451 for English class at school last year. I actually did enjoy this book despite my initial thoughts about it; I thought it was very perceptive and well-written, certainly a true classic. 91, wow, what a good age! I pray that I live to be that old or even older. Rest in peace Mr. Bradbury.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 128
    R.I.P Mr Bradbury. Ninety-one years was a good innings. Amazing to think that when he was born TV was non-existent and radio broadcasting was still in its infancy (NBC and the BBC were still 5 or 6 years away from being founded). Of his work I've only read Fahrenheit 451 - an excellent book that deserves its reputation as a modern classic.

I wonder what Bradbury thought of how the world developed since he wrote Fahrenheit 451? Thankfully books aren't extinct and e-readers and the internet means great works of literature are more readily available than at any time in history. On the other hand we're more glued to the glowing screens than ever before and much of what we watch is mindless, escapist entertainment (except for Bond movies of course), while the 24 hour news cycle and social media have arguably lowered the standard of public discourse.

Fahrenheit 451 is a must read @Baltimore.
    I'll second that. It's only a short book and it's not a heavy read either. Bradbury doesn't sacrifice plot or pacing to make his socio-political point. The novel is a fast-paced, sci-fi suspense story first and foremost - it just also makes some very perceptive (and in some ways prescient) points about modern society.
    I read 451 years ago. Time for a remake of the film I think. The original is not very good. I think Bradbury's passing and the attention it brings may reinvigorate interest in his work.
    Apparently Lee Tamahori directed three episodes of 'Ray Bradbury Theatre' in the early nineties.